PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Facing Facts
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Facing Facts  (Read 8333 times)

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Facing Facts
« on: July 19, 2015, 11:17:23 AM »

Yesterdays game against Stalybridge did take place, I wasn't the only Alty fan there. We won 1-0 the gate and the game were both poor.

Only 2 positives were Rankine bullying himself another goal and Swift's mazy run.

Griffith looks like he can run all day but can't pass the ball more than 3 yards. Don't want to see O'Keefe playing as the 1 behind the lone striker again.

Full time and proud of it

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Facing Facts
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 01:12:55 PM »

I thought the game was ok, there were one or two positives I took from this match. For one thing, we have only conceded one goal so far in four games . James Lawrie has started pre-season with great intent and put on a couple of great showings so far. Joel Swift, one of our Alex's class mates from Wellington School and also a long time rival from junior soccer days between Broadheath Central and Unicorn; looks to be a good possible choice for third or fourth striker. A great mazy run yesterday showing both pace and a willingness to run at the opposition. Maybe it's his time to be given the chance I think he deserves. Some one with his pace could be well suited to that right wing slot as well. We can then use James in a forward position as well with Joel on the right wing. It increases our options anyway.

With Anthony Griffiths, he quietly made his debut, nothing spectacular but given time he will prove to be a great asset. Think he will be a good signing, but you cannot form any conclusions in a half he only just made his debut for. Michael Rankine has proved himself once again as a great foil for Damien Reeves, and Sam Heathcote did well in central defence for us.

In conclusion, I think we will do well next season, between 7th and 14th, but I also think we will be up against some good teams next season. As far as Ryan Crowther is concerned I would like to see him taking on and getting past players rather than running into cul de sacs and then playing the ball back. He has the pace and the mindset to do this, but I did not feel he played to this potential yesterday, and yes we did actually play a game yesterday. This website has been so quiet afterwards!!

joe

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 02:10:51 PM »

Anyone any idea what's happened to the three trialists that didn't feature yesterday? I'm hoping Jordan Sinnott has been told thanks but no thanks but I may be hoping for a bit much there! I'd like to see both Deacey and A Trialist from the Wigan game again though.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 04:42:38 PM »

In conclusion, I think we will do well next season, between 7th and 14th, but I also think we will be up against some good teams next season. As far as Ryan Crowther is concerned I would like to see him taking on and getting past players rather than running into cul de sacs and then playing the ball back. He has the pace and the mindset to do this, but I did not feel he played to this potential yesterday, and yes we did actually play a game yesterday. This website has been so quiet afterwards!!

7th to 14th eh - that is a bold prediction based on a few pre-season games against lower level opposition + Wigan and a few new signings
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 05:37:37 PM »

Why not be optimistic, if Lee says he is going for 20/20; ie; 20 goals less conceded and twenty more scored, this would easily leave us in that position.

With a full squad we are more than capable, and Lee has kept all his promises so far during his career here, so why not be positive?

taxi Phil

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 07:23:17 PM »

I thought the game was generally poor. I'm not remotely impressed by O'Keefe so far, and while Swift is promising, we still need a striker to back up Reeves (not to criticise Rankine who'll do for me very nicely). It may be unfair to assess Griffith on 45 minutes, but he reminded me of Carl Rodgers (who is apparently trialling at Colwyn Bay).

I've seen little so far to suggest any improvement from last season. We looked good against Wigan, but as usual were less impressive against lower rated opposition. I don't see us finishing any higher than 15th unless we sign a decent striker.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 08:45:05 PM »

Why not be optimistic, if Lee says he is going for 20/20; ie; 20 goals less conceded and twenty more scored, this would easily leave us in that position.

With a full squad we are more than capable, and Lee has kept all his promises so far during his career here, so why not be positive?

No problem with any promise made by Lee so far Steve, but he has promised us nothing in terms of goals scored and goals conceded. This is just an ambitious target that Lee and the players believe  is achievable
On their day, this team is capable of beating anybody, but consistency is needed over the season to achieve an upper mid table place. I am hopeful we can build on last season, but right now it is too early to predict how good we may be until we can see what our squad looks like in terms of quality, size and balance. I remain optimistic we will be good enough to stay up.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Jenga

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 10:55:41 PM »

Whilst i have not seen any games, it seems suggested that each player signed is an improvement on the players leaving.

So we should be happy?

Lee wants a couple more to join up but it would suggest he is keeping quite about players we can not currently afford but who may come around again with a lower price tag.

Last season we did not have much on the bench, so far i think we have a very decent bench which will help us later in the game.

Jimmy

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 11:50:28 PM »

If we achieved this 20/20 figure we would probably be in the top 7 on the evidence of last season it clearly won't happen I think a more realistic aim would be to say win as many as we lose I'm all for optimism but it's a comment that does Sinnott no favours

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 07:42:15 AM »

I haven't seen preseason so far but there are some clear signs that the squad is shaping up.  I'd be astonished if we were above 12th but I don't think we are relegation either.  There will be times in the season where we go on good and bad runs as with last season we need to hold our nerve.  As foe Okeefe, how many predicted Marshall was as good as he is pre season
Bernard Taylors barmy army

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 05:22:40 PM »

robinstockport has got it spot on.
Rankine does indeed look a step up on Perry.
The jury is out on the rest.
No indication yet that they are better than those we let go.

GB Alty

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 09:30:11 AM »

because it's bullsh*t

GB Alty

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 09:33:36 AM »

Whilst i have not seen any games, it seems suggested that each player signed is an improvement on the players leaving.

who has suggested that?

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 12:20:23 PM »

who has suggested that?
well anyone is better than gillespie, parton looked iffy.  It remains to be seen if cav can be replaced, however I doubt he would have turned down his new full time role anyway
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 12:35:29 PM »

because it's bullsh*t

Dover, a fellow part-time team, scored 15 more and conceded 15 fewer goals than us last season. So I think it's a perfectly good target to do as well as, or a little better than, they did.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Facing Facts