PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 poor game
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: poor game  (Read 4641 times)

dino

poor game
« on: November 10, 2007, 05:51:10 PM »

first of all,lets just say millwall were probably the poorest football league team we have played in the fa cup during the 40yrs i have supported the club.

however , i thought that was at best a very average performance by altrincham,and for a game as high profile as it was, simply not good enough.Too few players were able to raise their game and i question the committment and contribution of both sedgemore and little. 

logan on the bench said it all. it was certainly not a performance to be proud of and changes are required quickly

Unemployed Coalminer

Re: poor game
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 06:00:04 PM »

are you sure you were there? i saw plenty of commitment. but what we have at the moment is an altrincham team lacking in most areas. apart from giving the ball away too often i saw a fairly calm and composed altrincham that seemed to have a game plan. we've got the players we've got and they aren't suddenly going to develop magic boots just because it's an FA Cup game. i'm sure the management will be grateful for your observations.

Leighton_Alty

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 06:03:09 PM »

average peformance?!?!
you must be joking!
i would say we were the better team throughout the game by far! even when we Lane got sent off they didn't completely batter us, so overall i am extremely proud of the lads today!

Unlucky boys!

penfold

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 06:06:26 PM »

first of all,lets just say millwall were probably the poorest football league team we have played in the fa cup during the 40yrs i have supported the club.

however , i thought that was at best a very average performance by altrincham,and for a game as high profile as it was, simply not good enough.Too few players were able to raise their game and i question the committment and contribution of both sedgemore and little. 

logan on the bench said it all. it was certainly not a performance to be proud of and changes are required quickly

Dick head, were you even at the game, it was one of our best home performances so far this season, all the players for Alty were up for it and they showed commitment
So you dont have the right to say "average performance"!!!!

Alty-Senny

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 06:07:34 PM »

i think the 1st half performance was amazing and we were the better team but when we were down to 10 men and it was 1-1 i couldnt see us grabbing another goal but they put 100% for the whole 90 mins and it was a great performance

Dougals Dad

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 06:08:06 PM »

On this occasion I wonder if this might have been the right decision.

Keep a solid - if more defensive - formation to goi in at half time still in the game (we were better than that), then consolidate and try and take something in the second half. It was unfortunate we lost Lane as the plan - if this was it - was going well.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 06:21:17 PM »

Just come of the phone with my sister,she told me my 84 year old father had got his ticket last Monday and was at the game,will ring him in a minute .She told me that he had said with it being Millwall he had his knuckledusters in his pocket just in case,i had to laugh at the image of an 84 yr old pensioner armed with his KDs.Glad he went though as he has watch Alty since he was a lad.
The penalty from what Garth Crooks said was ball to hand Chris could do nothing about it.
Harold

Dougals Dad

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 06:27:21 PM »

The penalty from what Garth Crooks said was ball to hand Chris could do nothing about it.

We wuz robbed! It could have been soooo different.

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 06:28:46 PM »

from my position behind the goal and just to the left i'd say he put his hand up to block the ball. at the end of the day it still would have been 1-1, but we'd have still had the attacking options peyton provided first half before having to drop to full back. on reflection i don't think it changed the outcome a whole lot. i'd felt beforehand it would take something special for alty to score and it did. and second half millwall were always going to be trying a bit harder.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 08:59:20 PM »

dino,

I have to agree with you on this one.

Two critical games on the horizon now against Weymouth and Farsley.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 09:27:11 PM »

Didn't really know which thead to put this on but Ichose this one.

Realy proud of the overall performance and but for  sending off we were in the match.

However it makes life difficult when we only only have 9.5 men on the pitch, ie Sedgemore (didn't even take the free kick that Peyyton wasted) if he he doesn't take the dead ball kick there is no point him being on the pitch.

The 0.5 award goes to Little who was dire.

Full time and proud of it

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 10:18:51 PM »

interesting you say that about the first free lick. i was expectiing sedgemore to take it having seen him score that corker pre-sseason. then when the kick that lead to   goal was about to be taken again i wanted sedgemoor to take as it was in a perfect position. as it turned out i'm quite happy peyton took it. looking forward to seeing it on telly tonight.

markecky

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 01:12:06 AM »

Dino, do you just copy and paste after each match?

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 02:32:15 AM »

VERY VERY harsh on the lads that.

Alty produced on of the best performances this season against a technically better side. Had alty not been down to 10 men for over 30 mins, the result would almost certainly been different.  I guess specsavers will be very busy with both yourself and the linesman getting their eyes tested.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 08:35:30 AM »

"Yet an equaliser, probably deserved on the balance of play, would not come."

The Observer seems to think we were worthy of more.

And The Sunday Times seems to think Sedge was our best player*:

Player ratings

Altrincham: Coburn 7, Lane 5, Tinson 7, Shotton 6, Scott 7, Senior 7 Lawton 6, Sedgemore 8, Peyton 6 (Munroe 80min), O’Neill 6 (Logan 64min), Little 7

Millwall: Pidgeley 8, Dunne 8, Whitbread 6, Robinson 7, Bignot 6, Simpson 5, Brkovic 7, Hodge 6, Bakayogo 6, Alexander 6, Hoskins 7

Scorers: Altrincham: Senior 45 Millwall: Dunne 52 pen, Hoskins 61

Referee: E Ilderton
Attendance: 2,457

* Its all about opinions!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 08:40:22 AM by Dougals Dad »
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 poor game