PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Who owns Alty FC?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Who owns Alty FC?  (Read 8868 times)

Spring

Who owns Alty FC?
« on: March 28, 2017, 08:51:55 AM »

Purely for interest and to learn something, can anyone tell me about the shareholding in Altrincham FC? Who owns the shares and what Is their estimated worth? Were they bought or transferred from a previous owner?

Spring

Re: Who owns Alty FC?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 09:02:03 AM »

Sorry, I was being thick.....the information is publicly available via the Companies House website. I have learnt what I needed.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 09:32:29 AM »

This was discussed about six months ago. Someone put up a link to a document that included all the shareholders and the size of their holding.

It is known that there are shares available to be bought. Around 12 months ago both Geoff Goodwin and Carole Nash have indicated they would sell to interested parties.  There are also holders of significant numbers of shares who play no active roll in the club and seem to have little interest in its fortunes.

For what it is worth Stockport County are in the same predicament.

Spring

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 09:53:43 AM »

Yes the 2016 document was fascinating, although this was before The recent changes of Shaw, Daine and Waterson. There appears to be two types of shares that make up the capital with over half being non voting and the whole of this is owned by John King......I presume the ex Manager? The voting shares are as you say fairly disparate but it is clear where control is and where it isn't with the board members now looking pretty weak as compared to the Chairman

In theory if somebody did have a couple of thousand pounds they could wrest control.......we will have to have a bucket collection at the Alfreton match....ha ha!

taxi Phil

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 09:58:01 AM »

If somebody were moderately well off, rather than skint like me, they could buy Geoff Goodwin out and become our new major shareholder.....then things just might change.

Spring

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 10:01:20 AM »

One presumes Geoff Goodwin is a big supporter of the current Chairman.

Spring

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 10:09:55 AM »

The other fascinating aspect is what happened to Andrew Shaws shares......he was the second biggest shareholder. Did he keep or sell to Bill Waterson?

It is always fascinating to know who owns the club one supports.

taxi Phil

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 10:26:03 AM »

Andrew Shaw probably holds his shares and has simply quit the board. Geoff Goodwin has no interest in football and might possibly sell out to any reasonable offer. Carole Nash is probably similarly disinterested and approachable.

beaker141

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 10:49:19 AM »

I find this area quite interesting - particularly the added dimension that supporters play.

Shareholders own the club but pretty much get 1 opportunity a year to influence the running of the club at the AGM each year - where they elect directors to run the club on their behalf.  If you want full control of this process you'd need influence over 51% of the voting shares - so 57,500 shares.  The top 5 shareholders between them have just over this amount and so working together have full control. (Geoff G,Grahame, Andrew Shaw, L Rosenfield, I Foden  - all as at the last return so movement since could have changed that).

Having a shareholding below 50% infers no automatic right to a seat on the board. 

Assuming all 5 shareholders were willing to sell - they'd be free to name their price, but assuming the £5 a share that they were sold at for CSH fundraising you'd need £287k to get majority ownership and full control.

Directors (including the chairman) are then given office for a period of time to run the club. 

I'd assume at club board meetings that decisions are made under a voting system, I assume each director has 1 vote, including the chairman (possibly having an additional casting vote if needed for a draw on a decision) - therefore decisions are made on a majority agreement basis.

Hence :-

If somebody were moderately well off, rather than skint like me, they could buy Geoff Goodwin out and become our new major shareholder.....then things just might change.
  -  That would only give you 13% of the shares - so a bigger vote at the AGM but not enough to change things alone !

In theory if somebody did have a couple of thousand pounds they could wrest control.......we will have to have a bucket collection at the Alfreton match....ha ha!
  - That would have to be a pretty big bucket - but would need a lot more than a couple of thousand to wrest control !

andrewflynn

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 10:52:24 AM »

I find this area quite interesting - particularly the added dimension that supporters play.

Shareholders own the club but pretty much get 1 opportunity a year to influence the running of the club at the AGM each year - where they elect directors to run the club on their behalf.  If you want full control of this process you'd need influence over 51% of the voting shares - so 57,500 shares.  The top 5 shareholders between them have just over this amount and so working together have full control. (Geoff G,Grahame, Andrew Shaw, L Rosenfield, I Foden  - all as at the last return so movement since could have changed that).

Having a shareholding below 50% infers no automatic right to a seat on the board. 

Assuming all 5 shareholders were willing to sell - they'd be free to name their price, but assuming the £5 a share that they were sold at for CSH fundraising you'd need £287k to get majority ownership and full control.

Directors (including the chairman) are then given office for a period of time to run the club. 

I'd assume at club board meetings that decisions are made under a voting system, I assume each director has 1 vote, including the chairman (possibly having an additional casting vote if needed for a draw on a decision) - therefore decisions are made on a majority agreement basis.

Hence :-

-  That would only give you 13% of the shares - so a bigger vote at the AGM but not enough to change things alone !

- That would have to be a pretty big bucket - but would need a lot more than a couple of thousand to wrest control !

Thanks for setting it out like that. I'm useless with this kind of stuff so that's very informative.

Spring

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 11:12:17 AM »

Thank you Beaker for your really informative post.

On the assumption that the present Chairman does not think he is culpable for the present mess  and has no intention of either standing aside or dealing in an open manner with those that are supporters in order to build bridges, then a take over is the only other option.

We now know the mechanism, the approximate costs and now just need a white knight......like Man City found a few years ago.

Any sheikhs out there?

York Alty is back

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 11:15:38 AM »

Thank you Beaker for your really informative post.

On the assumption that the present Chairman does not think he is culpable for the present mess  and has no intention of either standing aside or dealing in an open manner with those that are supporters in order to build bridges, then a take over is the only other option.

We now know the mechanism, the approximate costs and now just need a white knight......like Man City found a few years ago.

Any sheikhs out there?

I say two words to you:

1. John
2. Maunders

Spring

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 11:17:57 AM »

Or another two words

1 Graeme

2. Rowley

York Alty is back

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 11:19:41 AM »

Or another two words

1 Graeme

2. Rowley

I will counter your two with two more:

1. Geoff
2. Goodwin

taxi Phil

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 11:24:19 AM »

I'll raise you three :

1. Gerry
2. F*****g
3. Herman

Though in fairness Maunders was clearly the trump suit.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Who owns Alty FC?