Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Is there anyone who wants to meet the Chairman?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Is there anyone who wants to meet the Chairman?  (Read 17444 times)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Is there anyone who wants to meet the Chairman?
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2017, 06:01:53 PM »

I am aware of course that we do have some excellent local business men and women and benefactors who contribute without seeking any reward or fanfare, but I find it hard to believe they would not be equally as enthusiastic for this approaching

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2017, 06:22:46 PM »

It's not arrogance if you've got the ability to back it up.

If we could bottle Grahames or anybody at the clubs passion (even though his executions are poor) and sell it we'd be rolling in it
It's all my fault.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2017, 07:16:47 PM »

If the protest group wants a change in leadership then be constructive.
What you require is an alternative that would benefit the club,.... otherwise the Chairman would be negligent in resigning if it left AFC with nobody capable of doing the huge amount of voluntary work needed and moving the club forward.
So far I havent seen a single positive suggestion. Ideal time for a Multi-millionaire Alty Fan to surface,.....

Just commenting like,... ::)

If you had read any correspondance from the protesting group, you would see that they are asking Mr Rowley to ANNOUNCE HIS INTENTION to stand down, and putting it out publically that we are welcoming people into the board and inviting people to announce they'd like to be chairman.

Whether Mr Rowley stays at the club after he steps down and continues in a voluntary role is up to him and the incoming chairman.

I reiterate, it is not up to us as fans to name names for a potential chairman. Nobody would put their name forward for a role that is, as yet, not vacant.

Believe it or not but the club has been looking for years for new blood to come in.I know many people think this isnt true but it is.
Do you really think anyone who is really and sincerely interested would wait before the chairman announced he would step down before making enquiries etc.

If a rich benefactor doesnt appear, which has never happened so far,... then the only alternative is  more volunteers who have the club at heart, whether they know anything about appointing managers is another thing, however one could argue they couldnt do any worse,... but be careful what you wish for.

Ian,

Well, when I finally managed to blow out the myriad candles on my birthday cake back in November of 2015, I certainly didn't wish for two consecutive relegations and the football club to become a laughing stock!

Why are you advocating continuity at the top against a backdrop of colossal and ignominious failure by the current chairman?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2017, 08:23:35 PM »

Quote from: Ladies Supporter on Today at 02:46:27 PM

I speak only for myself, an Altrincham Fan of nigh on fifty years although longevity of support seemed irrelevant to some merely days ago.

How it can be decided whether anyone has or hasn't been abused depends, I assume, on how people define abuse. I do know that people consider themselves to have been abused solely because they hold a different view to the people who want a change of Chairman.

So far as I am concerned, my priority is right vis the survival of The Club I love and support.

I wonder how many of those advocating boycotts, walkouts etc, all of which will destabilise the Club can say the same?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Phil,

Please forgive my increasingly addled brain but I confess that I'm not quite sure what you are driving at regarding your observation that "longevity of support seemed irrelevant to some merely days ago."

As to your closing remarks, many of those disaffected younger supporters who walked out of last Saturday's fixture against Stalybridge Celtic may not have followed the Robins for the duration that that either you or I have, however what they have done is loyally paid to watch Altrincham FC games both home and away on a regular basis over many seasons (far more than you or I as regards away fixtures), so I'm rather disappointed that you should have the temerity to question either their love or support for the club.

I was proud to walk out alongside them.

As for the football club's survival, that's exactly what the dissidents are fighting for, as it has become moribund under the control of Grahame Rowley.

Do you sincerely believe that our current car wreck of a football club isn't already destabilised?

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 08:28:07 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2017, 02:01:11 AM »

HAs anyone considered that all this public protestation and abuse of The Chairman, the Board, Certain volunteers etc may in fact serve as something of a stumbling block / deterrent to anyone considering involvement or investment?

Would you, having done due diligence on the Company and found it financially sound and overall a decent investment be inclined to get involved or invest having read the recent utterances?

Before anyone reminds me that it is the football side that counts I would merely reply that anyone with enough cash to make the sort of investment it is perceived is required has not got that money (or if inherited, kept it) without some degree of Business savvy

I speak only for myself, an Altrincham Fan of nigh on fifty years although longevity of support seemed irrelevant to some merely days ago.

How it can be decided whether anyone has or hasn't been abused depends, I assume, on how people define abuse. I do know that people consider themselves to have been abused solely because they hold a different view to the people who want a change of Chairman.

So far as I am concerned, my priority is right vis the survival of The Club I love and support.

I wonder how many of those advocating boycotts, walkouts etc, all of which will destabilise the Club can say the same?

Clearly you do not understand what abuse is. Abuse is not having a different view. It could be cruel or violent treatment, neither of which have occurred.

Please do not be sensationalist or say things like this without backing it up.

In regards to public protestation, clearly someone may thrive on the chance to come into a well run scenario, make a difference and be the saviour.

I would argue this would be the best time for an external person to come in.

Also, a quick way to solve the issue of boycotts, walkouts and loss of revenue would be for the increasingly unpopular Chairman to step down. Thus, more supporters would be inclined to stay...

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2017, 12:21:13 PM »

What you require is an alternative that would benefit the club,.... otherwise the Chairman would be negligent in resigning if it left AFC with nobody capable of doing the huge amount of voluntary work needed and moving the club forward.
So far I havent seen a single positive suggestion. Ideal time for a Multi-millionaire Alty Fan to surface,.....

If you had read any correspondance from the protesting group, you would see that they are asking Mr Rowley to ANNOUNCE HIS INTENTION to stand down, and putting it out publically that we are welcoming people into the board and inviting people to announce they'd like to be chairman.  Whether Mr Rowley stays at the club after he steps down and continues in a voluntary role is up to him and the incoming chairman.
I reiterate, it is not up to us as fans to name names for a potential chairman. Nobody would put their name forward for a role that is, as yet, not vacant.

Believe it or not but the club has been looking for years for new blood to come in.I know many people think this isnt true but it is.
Do you really think anyone who is really and sincerely interested would wait before the chairman announced he would step down before making enquiries etc.
If  rich benefactor doesnt appear, which has never happened so far,... then the only alternative is  more volunteers who have the club at heart, whether they know anything about appointing managers is another thing, however one could argue they couldnt do any worse,... but be careful what you wish for.

Ian,

Well, when I finally managed to blow out the myriad candles on my birthday cake back in November of 2015, I certainly didn't wish for two consecutive relegations and the football club to become a laughing stock!

Why are you advocating continuity at the top against a backdrop of colossal and ignominious failure by the current chairman?

Barry, You clearly havent read my posts carefully enough, (particularly you being a wordsmith), I find that surprising. Where am I advocating continuity? Ian

Time to go

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2017, 01:04:37 PM »

If you had read any correspondance from the protesting group, you would see that they are asking Mr Rowley to ANNOUNCE HIS INTENTION to stand down, and putting it out publically that we are welcoming people into the board and inviting people to announce they'd like to be chairman.  Whether Mr Rowley stays at the club after he steps down and continues in a voluntary role is up to him and the incoming chairman.

If  rich benefactor doesnt appear, which has never happened so far,... then the only alternative is  more volunteers who have the club at heart, whether they know anything about appointing managers is another thing, however one could argue they couldnt do any worse,... but be careful what you wish for.

Ian,

Barry, You clearly havent read my posts carefully enough, (particularly you being a wordsmith), I find that surprising. Where am I advocating continuity? Ian

Ian - As a man who always appears to have a particular interest in the subject of investment perhaps you would be willing to help the fans group? You seem to be on the same page as us in terms of the need to attract new investment into the club.
Your experience gained from the 3 weeks you spent on the board back in the mid 90s could be invaluable.

The previous strategy of sitting on our hands and waiting for investment to arrive doesn't appear to have worked. What is being proposed is a high profile public appeal by the board for new investment into the football club (alongside a share issue). By that we mean actually going out and asking people, and inviting people to come forward. Publicly. It's 2017. That doesn't have to involve a £10k advert in the FT anymore (a previous concern of the board). There is more than one way to skin a cat and we shouldn't underestimate the role that the print media, the Internet, or social media could play in this.

Perhaps this is a discussion you would be willing to facilitate with Grahame Rowley?

Spring

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2017, 02:34:23 PM »

Time to go

Only saiid with half a tongue in cheek but perhaps you have suggested the cusp of an idea. If the supporters are fed up with the performance of the Chairman  and the Board perhaps you create a parallel structure. You could elect a Parallel Chairman, Deputy Chairman, Twitter rep, PR rep etc and do things like trying to attract investment, communicate better than the half hearted efforts of the club etc. It might even get a bit of publicity and you may attract more interest and investment when the current lot might not really have their heart in being usurped.

Stranger things have happened. I don't think you will get away with advertising and interviewing for the manager however, so probably another of my dumb ideas.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2017, 07:08:53 PM »

If you had read any correspondance from the protesting group, you would see that they are asking Mr Rowley to ANNOUNCE HIS INTENTION to stand down, and putting it out publically that we are welcoming people into the board and inviting people to announce they'd like to be chairman.  Whether Mr Rowley stays at the club after he steps down and continues in a voluntary role is up to him and the incoming chairman.

If  rich benefactor doesnt appear, which has never happened so far,... then the only alternative is  more volunteers who have the club at heart, whether they know anything about appointing managers is another thing, however one could argue they couldnt do any worse,... but be careful what you wish for.

Ian,

Ian,

I arrived at that conclusion owing to your use of the dispiriting phrase: "be careful what you wish for", that dreaded mantra which I've heard uttered ad nauseam by those who seek to preserve the current (misfiring) status quo at the club.

Apologies if I incorrectly associated you with those apologists for the reigning chairman.

Should you genuinely wish to facilitate change at the top, I'd be delighted to welcome you into the ranks of the "angry minority" and thereby swell our numbers to 30....

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 07:19:39 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2017, 12:37:09 PM »

Barry

My concern is simple, there is no obvious alternative at present.
Even the angry minority cant think of one,..... it seems many just think as soon as GR goes someone with loads of money, and/or nouse will magically appear to run the club. 
I agree it would be wonderful if it did though, never needed anything so much.

I do like Jacks suggestion of a major PR/charm campaign to the business community and local richlist, however there are several factors that seem to work against us;
1. We dont own the ground, only a very philanthropic Alty Fan or a madman would invest in the club now.
2. We have received huge amounts of grant aid that would have to be repaid if we stopped meeting the terms of the aid (community use).
3. The finances will be a fraction of what we have earnt,... next year in the gluestick.
4. The clubs hardcore support are turning their backs, so the angry minority are potentially putting new investors off.

My greatest concern is if this plight precipitates the complete collapse of the club and financial ruin and eventually it folding.

A very worried fan who, i'd like to think, does see the whole picture btw.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 12:42:45 PM by PukkaPieman »

Time to go

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2017, 12:58:58 PM »

Barry

My concern is simple, there is no obvious alternative at present.
Even the angry minority cant think of one,..... it seems many just think as soon as GR goes someone with loads of money, and/or nouse will magically appear to run the club. 
I agree it would be wonderful if it did though, never needed anything so much.

I do like Jacks suggestion of a major PR/charm campaign to the business community and local richlist, however there are several factors that seem to work against us;
1. We dont own the ground, only a very philanthropic Alty Fan or a madman would invest in the club now.
2. We have received huge amounts of grant aid that would have to be repaid if we stopped meeting the terms of the aid (community use).
3. The finances will be a fraction of what we have earnt,... next year in the gluestick.
4. The clubs hardcore support are turning their backs, so the angry minority are potentially putting new investors off.

My greatest concern is if this plight precipitates the complete collapse of the club and financial ruin and eventually it folding.

A very worried fan who, i'd like to think, does see the whole picture btw.

Your thinking appears to be clouded by the assumption that anyone would only get involved with the football club if they had a chance of getting their hands on the ground? And we actually think the off-field activities make us a more attractive proposition for other people to come forward, not less as you (bizarrely) appear to be suggesting.

I don't recall any similar public appeal being made over the past 20 years? We've spent most of that time playing the martyr while trying to run the football club on raffles and coffee mornings, and look where it's got us. The lowest point in the club's history.

Now is the time to get together and work jointly on a high profile appeal, to force a share issue, to get the football club back to where it belongs, and to give the community what it wants from its local football club.

What better legacy could there possibly be for the likes of Grahame Rowley and yourself.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2017, 02:02:41 PM »

I think points 1,3 and 4 can be dealt with easily enough, particularly point 4.

I'm not sure I even want to go there with point two...

Spring

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2017, 02:28:08 PM »

What continues to distress me on this site is the response received by anyone who has a counter view. Pukkapieman made some interesting points, not at all in an aggressive way but they were points that most intelligent people should at least consider before rejecting or before replying with a logical rebuttal.. However several on the site seem to have a gut reaction to insult, call the person the vilest names they can muster and act like headless chickens.

Only a total fool would not understand that if the present regime go without a known replacement being in situ that the club could face the possibility of a financial disaster, as has happened to many other clubs. I totally agree that Rowley has been a total failure as far as the footballing side of Alty is concerned and even he must accept that unarguable fact. As such I believe he should definitely be replaced but only in an orderly way that ensures the future of the football club is protected.

Whenever anyone says 'hey guys' we must do things with some thought, they get attacked by several of the posters and they are usually the ones that usually do not have a record of posting anything constructive.

I suspect we all know who they are, apart from themselves.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2017, 02:31:57 PM »

Would the club simply end if GR resigned?

Jimmy

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2017, 02:45:26 PM »

Yes the world would stop turning
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Is there anyone who wants to meet the Chairman?