News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 What to do in Woking?

Author Topic: What to do in Woking?  (Read 3008 times)

samba

What to do in Woking?
« on: September 12, 2007, 07:58:58 AM »

I'm heading down London way to see my missus this weekend, and by some miracle have persuaded her to go to the footy with me!  Which I think makes this my furthest away travel, and certainly my longest if you consider 4 and a half hours on the megabus (!).

Now, being the nice lad I am, thought i'd take her out in Woking for the day, so does anyone have any idea if there's anything to do, any nice pubs, sights etc?

Must admit, slightly worried about this from the official woking website:
Please note: We recommend that, for personal safety reasons, women and young children do not walk unaccompanied to Kingfield Stadium. It would be advisable to take a taxi from Woking Station direct to the ground, costing approximately £4.

Sounds rough!

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: What to do in Woking?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 08:02:43 AM »

Woking, sights ;D Nah, it's a typical London commuter belt town, plenty of nice houses but the centre is crap, pretty souless. You're best off just getting the train back to Waterloo as soon as the games done with. It's not rough at all, that's just a standard warning they put on as it's quite a trek (20ish min walk) from the town centre to the ground.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 09:55:19 AM »

Fully agree with SLA above re Woking, but one pub I know is ok is The Sovereigns on Guildford Rd, the main drag between the station and the ground. Friendly, good beer and has an outside decked seating area, even if it does overlook a main roadand Blockbusters!
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

DT

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 02:01:04 PM »

As an exile from Tuesday to Thursday in Woking, I don't think its that bad at all and having savoured the delights of every pub/restuarant - can I suggest the following.

I agree with SW that the Soveriegns is probably the best "pub" and has plenty of real ale on at all times. But there is a nice pub/restaurant called Enzo's which of course serves italian food - if your budget stretches that far (it will impress the Missus) it is always very friendly and Mrs Tracey, young Alex and myself will be dining there after our 2-1 win against Woking ;D

Otherwise in the centre O'Neills (Irish pub chain) serves good food and traditional irish "craic" and now has seating outside to savour the delightful weekend weather in prospect.

Probably ones to avoid are the Station and Weatherspoons if you don't like that type of place (obviously cheapest for food and drink and open from 9:00 am!)

See you in Woking on Saturday!

andy999

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 07:14:18 PM »

Living in Woking i can tell you there's absolutly nothing of interest in Woking whatsoever unless you class the "waste of money" station entrance as a place of interest. The best bet is to go and sit in Wetherspoons and get drunk before the game so Woking seems that little bit more interesting!

Good luck for the game too, hope you win!!

Andy (shots fan)

baldrick

Ashley Alty

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 09:25:51 AM »

The Peacocks shopping centre isn't too bad

DT

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 09:18:15 AM »

Its offical, The Soveregns is officially the "pub of the year" for Surrey and Hampshire. So hopefully this will conclude this topic!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 What to do in Woking?