PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Happy Birmingham Day everyone!
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Happy Birmingham Day everyone!  (Read 5880 times)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: January 14, 2013, 09:33:29 PM »

Doesn't need explaining on here surely.

Any memories though? For me (as an 8 year old) the big metal turnstiles at St. Andrews, the incessant noise from the Alty end, the fact that we thoroughly deserved it and finally getting back and going to my mum's church meeting and telling everyone to be met with a shrug of the shoulders and "yes, thought they'd win, they usually do in the cup games!"

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birmingham Day everyone!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 10:38:02 PM »

My dad went, I was only 6. Got the programme though.

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 11:16:04 PM »

I was working in Bracknell till early afternoon, had to almost drive past the ground on my way to picking my Dad up in Timperley, and then back down to Birmingham!

Parked up and ran like hell to get in the ground just as they kicked off. All programs sold out! What a great day! ;D

markecky

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 11:21:46 PM »

So jealous of people who went to this....what a night it must have been.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 11:41:53 PM »

So jealous of people who went to this....what a night it must have been.

Indeed it was Ecky

Blew a proverbial gale at us, absolutely freezing BUT brilliant.

Went into work early the following day and laid out scarf, programme, hat, shirt the lot on my desk - Boss (Brummie) gave me about 7,000 invoices to photocopy - his boss (Alty Season Ticket Holder) overruled him and gave me the rest of the day off to recover from the previous night's exertions

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 11:21:53 AM »

I was working in Bracknell till early afternoon, had to almost drive past the ground on my way to picking my Dad up in Timperley, and then back down to Birmingham!

Parked up and ran like hell to get in the ground just as they kicked off. All programs sold out! What a great day! ;D

Yes, a great night. I too missed getting a programme there though.  :(

Couldn't get to sleep when I finally got home and seem to remember that I went to work after watching bob wilson interviewing Kingy on the beeb (or is my memory playing tricks with me again?)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

thegazelle

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 12:50:53 PM »

At the risk of repeating myself as i know i have posted about it before but here goes for those who havent read the story.

I used to work at the Bowdon Hotel (Noel white owned at the time) and the secretary Dave Baldwin had his office at the hotel so was well connected to find out what was going on in the day during the match the office had dozens of calls from Birmingham Zulus threatening to attack to attack our fans .

The supporters club had arranged several coaches and there were coaches leaving from various pubs around town. i was booked on the VIP supporters coach along with some other drunks and a selection of company directors and other glitterati including the owners of shearings . Despite the ban on Booze coming out shortly before the match the bus was packed with goodies including a couple of cases of champers for celebrating our inevitable win. Of course much of the day was spent in preperation in the cheshire midland and railway.
It was with some trepidation we ventured forth bearing in mind the threats of violence . we arrived in one piece shortly before the kick off and went straight into the ground most of the coach to seats in the posh bit but the rest of us onto the terrace reserved for alty . You can read about the game elsewhere but it is enough to say we were incredible and it never felt in doubt the moment when the own goal went in will remain one of the best moments of my life along with the final whistle . i recall the birmingham fans both booing there own team and applauding us , Do i recall them singing ALTRINCHAM.

we left the ground rather sheepishly and snuck safely onto the coaches where i dished out champagne for all and was stood at the front of the bus leeding a sing song when there was a tap on my shoulder i turned round to see a policeman . OH sh*t remember the drinking ban . as i tried to cover the bottle of champers i was swigging from he looked at me sternly and said in a broad brummie accent "its all roit son carry on oim a villa fan" the party continued all the way home and included said executives using the anti maccassars as helmets for the dambusters songs and other rowdy behaviour for such doyens of the community .
We then heard that the team was going to the griffin for drinks so the coach dropped us all off there and we managed to get a sticker and stay in till the early hours celebrating with the team altogether a fantastic night .
I pray to god some of you younger guys who missed these sort of events get to find out what its like . think winning the playoffs and doubling it
sorry if i have rambled on but they really where the days we were very lucky

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 12:59:31 PM »

Yes, a great night. I too missed getting a programme there though.  :(

Couldn't get to sleep when I finally got home and seem to remember that I went to work after watching bob wilson interviewing Kingy on the beeb (or is my memory playing tricks with me again?)

Kingy was definitely on Breakfast Time the next morning.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 01:20:28 PM »

Yes, a great night. I too missed getting a programme there though.  :(

Kingy was definitely on Breakfast Time the next morning.

Thanks for the confirmation, Bob, I'm renown for getting things wrong!
One thing I DO  remember is the conversation going something like,

Bob Wilson: "So tell us about that particular goal, John."
Kingy: "After a brilliant, mazy run he just slotted it into the net!"
BW: "I thought it was an own-goal?"
Kingy: "Yes, it was a cracker!"

JK was someone else who said he hadn't been to bed!

:)

(And looked like it too!)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

taxi Phil

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 02:13:13 PM »

Ron Saunders was inevitably sacked soon afterwards, and then took over at WBA. I believe he is the only man to have managed two top flight relegated clubs in the same season  ;D

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 02:57:08 PM »

Ron Saunders was inevitably sacked soon afterwards, and then took over at WBA. I believe he is the only man to have managed two top flight relegated clubs in the same season  ;D
I recall that we got a passing mention on Saint & Greavsie on the following Saturday, and Greavsie was none too happy that we'd got his mate Saunders sacked.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 04:31:14 PM »

You can add Billy McNeill to that list. City and Villa the following season.

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 04:32:29 PM »

It was good to here the Birmingham fans chanting ALTY after the game.
 Thought there might be trouble after the game, but all was good.

Hamilton

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 04:38:38 PM »

It was good to here the Birmingham fans chanting ALTY after the game.
 Thought there might be trouble after the game, but all was good.

Don't Villa fans still have a song about this?

York Alty

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 05:07:10 PM »

yes Villa do have a song about it.  We made the front page of the Mail or Express, or possibly both.

A superb night.  We were never going to lose though.  We were never going to lose that game, our players surely knew that and I suspect some of the brum players knew we'd win.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team