PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 RIP Bobby Robson
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: RIP Bobby Robson  (Read 3649 times)

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Bobby Robson
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 01:10:55 AM »

All, I can attest to a lot of this as I had a "brush with fame" with Bobby Robson back in 1986.  Was on the way back to St Louis from Manchester.  Had to fly via London then.  It was May '86 as I recall and it turned out the England World Cup Team were on our flight to St Louis en route to altitude training in Colorado Springs before going on to the tournament in Mexico.  Got all the team's autographs and ended up waiting to get through immigration right in front of BR and Don Howe.  The immigration lady asked me if I was with the England team and I replied something like "No such luck".  BR heard me, chuckled, patted me on the back and told me "There is still time son"!!  Little thing but stuck with me over the years.  Seemed like he was just a good bloke and that was the feeling I got from him just from this little crossing of paths.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Bobby Robson
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 09:27:06 AM »

His biggest achievement was surviving as England manager after Euro 1988 when the knives were out in typical fashion from the English Supporters and Media. In Euro 88 England played 3 and lost all 3, in a tournament the English Press again said they would win. This included a 1-0 defeat to Ireland. Again England were the laughing stock of Europe. Bobby had the character to handle such pressure that other managers understanably couldnt.  R.I.P. Bobby
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 RIP Bobby Robson