PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Buy a striker
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Buy a striker  (Read 19318 times)

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Buy a striker
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2020, 07:00:35 PM »

There are not many teams want to let a top and proven goal scorer go and we cannot go and bung in a player on an inflated wage because of the long term effect on the rest of the team.

It is easier said than done, and I think a loanee might be the answer.

Done alright for Gloucester and Fylde...

I don't get the Gloucester reference, but we don't have the money/wage structure to start paying Fylde type wages.

Gloucester bought Chester's top scorer. Fylde took our main striker. Keep up.

We're getting 2300 through the gate in cash from the government. We've got Hulmes cash.

Obviously knew the Fylde reference, but thank you for the Gloucs one.
It is not just a case of a transfer fee - I agree we have a certain amount of money for that - but the issue arises with someone coming into the changing room on a higher wage, and this would have been a problem with Hulme had we offered him the money he was to get at Fylde
Laurence Looney explained this to us a couple of weeks ago; if you suddenly have a player bought in panic on twice the wage of anyone else in the squad you immediately have problems.
AND...what club wants to let a proven goalscorer go?
We will need either a loanee from a higher club or an enthusiastic , but unproven, young prospect from a smaller club.

Buying someone doesn't mean we have to break the wage structure. Someone proven at our level sat on someone's bench or someone one level below who we pay a fee for but keep top end of the wage budget.

Don't you think that if it was that easy we wouldn't have got one by now?

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2020, 07:03:43 PM »

There are not many teams want to let a top and proven goal scorer go and we cannot go and bung in a player on an inflated wage because of the long term effect on the rest of the team.

I don't get the Gloucester reference, but we don't have the money/wage structure to start paying Fylde type wages.

We're getting 2300 through the gate in cash from the government. We've got Hulmes cash.

It is not just a case of a transfer fee - I agree we have a certain amount of money for that - but the issue arises with someone coming into the changing room on a higher wage, and this would have been a problem with Hulme had we offered him the money he was to get at Fylde
Laurence Looney explained this to us a couple of weeks ago; if you suddenly have a player bought in panic on twice the wage of anyone else in the squad you immediately have problems.
We will need either a loanee from a higher club or an enthusiastic , but unproven, young prospect from a smaller club.

Buying someone doesn't mean we have to break the wage structure. Someone proven at our level sat on someone's bench or someone one level below who we pay a fee for but keep top end of the wage budget.

Not saying it is easy but should now be priority. I think PP and Neil will now make it priority but it should have been priority after we sold Hulme.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2020, 07:08:09 PM »

Not saying it is easy but should now be priority. I think PP and Neil will now make it priority but it should have been priority after we sold Hulme.

Definitely a priority!

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2020, 07:23:43 PM »

If you went into an Evo-Stik League season with Adarabioyo and Peers as your principal attacking options, then you would be somewhat concerned.

What do you mean "somewhat" ? At the current rate, we'll score 29 goals this season, definite relegation form. Is it worth bringing Lewis Salmon back from his loan at Stalybridge ? If he isn't good enough to improve what we're seeing, we might as well let him go. There must surely be proven goalscorers not playing at Step 3 because of Covid. Take a chance on someone who's regularly scoring goals at that level. They surely must be better than our present powder puff attack. Then again, we might do better if we actually shot at goal more often !

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2020, 08:05:51 PM »

I suspect finding a quality conference standard striker who’s going to bang in 15+ goals a year after the season has started is probably a lot harder than just chucking money at someone and hoping it works. Parkinson and Sorvs will be no doubt scouring squads for someone that can come in and make a difference in that department but I’m guessing it will take time to find the right player.

As for today, seeing us lose a game isn’t cause for any sort of dissection to find “where we went wrong”. The fact of it is we will probably lose more games than we win this season. We’ve made a fantastic start to the campaign especially with the amount of away games we’ve had and every defeat we encounter in this division is not cause for concern or a call to upheave the squad.

Having said that I do recognise that we definitely need that poacher to put the finishing touches to our attacks. It’s the missing link to our play but I’m also encouraged that we’re picking up draws and even wins on the road without a recognised striker. It’s certainly not relegation form anyway. Trust in parky to find the player we need. I’m sure he will but as the most sort after position in football it’ll take some time.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2020, 08:11:07 PM »

If you went into an Evo-Stik League season with Adarabioyo and Peers as your principal attacking options, then you would be somewhat concerned.

What do you mean "somewhat" ? At the current rate, we'll score 29 goals this season, definite relegation form. Is it worth bringing Lewis Salmon back from his loan at Stalybridge ? If he isn't good enough to improve what we're seeing, we might as well let him go. There must surely be proven goalscorers not playing at Step 3 because of Covid. Take a chance on someone who's regularly scoring goals at that level. They surely must be better than our present powder puff attack. Then again, we might do better if we actually shot at goal more often !

Phil,

I was aiming for measured understatement...!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2020, 10:52:20 PM »

How did we get Dickie Landon that time? As I remember he was an old pro but who could unerringly find the net ("Landon 89", as we used to say). Doesn't have to be someone in his prime, just someone who knows where the goal is, hanging about in the right areas, and letting the likes of Hampson do the hard graft.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2020, 10:56:32 PM »

How much do you think it would cost for Curzon to part with Knowles? He's the only person I can think of right now but I doubt it's feasible.

Knowles is a good shout.

Bear Town Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2020, 12:01:18 AM »

Kieran Brown,20,  currently playing for Hanley Town in North West Counties seems to know where the goal is, scored 11 in 12 inc. hat-trick v Nantwich.

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2020, 12:07:36 AM »

We do need a quality & proven striker, but this is easier said than done... we have played well in most of our games this season (despite so many away, plus several injuries not helping) but the fact remains we need someone decent to finish off these chances we create or we'll continue not getting our just rewards...

However, replacing Hulme our main 20goal per season striker sold on the eve of the season start is far from easy... his loss has also effected our other main scorer Hancock as their link up is also gone... we are getting lots of crosses in & having runs at defence from Kosylo, Ceesay, Mooney etc, plus full backs, but no-one is finishing off these moves...

It will be hard to find a quality striker now the season has started as all the decent strikers would have been secured under contract from the start of the new season...

I'm sure PP knows we need a top striker or some hungry young loanee forward and is working hard at finding someone...
It wont be easy, as the season is underway, but keep the faith in Parky & the Management Team... we all want the same thing ie Alty to survive as a club and be successful... lets hope they find us our new goalscoring talisman in the near future...

In the meantime lets hope the run of 5 home games out of the next 6 games bring us some more goals, points, wins and we start climbing the table!
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2020, 09:50:33 AM »

We do need a quality & proven striker, but this is easier said than done... we have played well in most of our games this season (despite so many away, plus several injuries not helping) but the fact remains we need someone decent to finish off these chances we create or we'll continue not getting our just rewards...

However, replacing Hulme our main 20goal per season striker sold on the eve of the season start is far from easy... his loss has also effected our other main scorer Hancock as their link up is also gone... we are getting lots of crosses in & having runs at defence from Kosylo, Ceesay, Mooney etc, plus full backs, but no-one is finishing off these moves...

It will be hard to find a quality striker now the season has started as all the decent strikers would have been secured under contract from the start of the new season...

I'm sure PP knows we need a top striker or some hungry young loanee forward and is working hard at finding someone...
It wont be easy, as the season is underway, but keep the faith in Parky & the Management Team... we all want the same thing ie Alty to survive as a club and be successful... lets hope they find us our new goalscoring talisman in the near future...

In the meantime lets hope the run of 5 home games out of the next 6 games bring us some more goals, points, wins and we start climbing the table!

Inter, I agree entirely with you here. Yesterday the loss of Fas so early on really scuppered us as we had started well.

andrewflynn

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2020, 11:11:46 AM »

I suspect finding a quality conference standard striker who’s going to bang in 15+ goals a year after the season has started is probably a lot harder than just chucking money at someone and hoping it works. Parkinson and Sorvs will be no doubt scouring squads for someone that can come in and make a difference in that department but I’m guessing it will take time to find the right player.

As for today, seeing us lose a game isn’t cause for any sort of dissection to find “where we went wrong”. The fact of it is we will probably lose more games than we win this season. We’ve made a fantastic start to the campaign especially with the amount of away games we’ve had and every defeat we encounter in this division is not cause for concern or a call to upheave the squad.

Having said that I do recognise that we definitely need that poacher to put the finishing touches to our attacks. It’s the missing link to our play but I’m also encouraged that we’re picking up draws and even wins on the road without a recognised striker. It’s certainly not relegation form anyway. Trust in parky to find the player we need. I’m sure he will but as the most sort after position in football it’ll take some time.

Very good post.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2020, 12:22:50 PM »

Even looking at the lower leagues, if you get a 30 goal a season striker who fancies his chances at a higher league placement; you could possibly get him in on loan. It is up to Phil and Neil to suss out who that may be, but he has also got to suit the club ethos and fit in with the team. We have to be patient with this and let Phil do his job unhurried and with thought for what and whom we require.

There is someone out there for us, we just have to find him.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2020, 12:34:22 PM »

how about the young lad in the Youth team,or is he to young for the 1st team?
Harold

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2020, 12:55:26 PM »

how about the young lad in the Youth team,or is he to young for the 1st team?

If you're good enough, you're old enough, but do you really think a youth team player with no senior experience is going to step up to the 1st team and replace Hulme?

I know, I know, Duncan Watmore existed. But this is a real stretch.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Buy a striker