PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Saturday Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Saturday Match Thread  (Read 9453 times)

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2020, 11:04:53 PM »

Loathe to criticise anyone owing to the conditions today but I've thought for a while that Tom Peers isn't really up to the job. Dont mind if people think otherwise but he's never convinced me.

A very handy sub and back up, but never our top forward...
unless we play at York!

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2020, 09:32:07 AM »

Loathe to criticise anyone owing to the conditions today but I've thought for a while that Tom Peers isn't really up to the job. Dont mind if people think otherwise but he's never convinced me.

Rain should have stopped play. As Pete said in the pub, in the FA Cup or playing Halifax it'd have been off.

But some of his touches were abysmal and wouldn't have look out of place when were playing Matlock or Coalville.

Cisse's frustration/attitude to conditions also disappointed me. Don't run through puddles ask for longer balls to chase through the middle.
Kosolo cheap cards also a concern. Lucky not to be suspended.

But franky what worried me was the bench. A CB, defensive CM, LB accompanied by an unproven reserve player and Max Clayton whose not been prolific in pre-season. With such poor conditions I never felt there was a plan B. Each player came on and tried to pass through water or worse run the ball through.

Conditions side; Durrell Lundstrum and Hulme all need to be replaced. Williams and Peers aren't anywhere close to their standard.
It's all my fault.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2020, 09:59:48 AM »

Certainly a big test for PP and Co to spend wisely and bring in a midfielder and a striker.
I've got every faith in them having irons in the fire already.
imo Williams is okay but I'm afraid I have to agree with others that, although I like him, Peers will never be more than a bench player for us and an impact sub. Would love to be proven wrong but the clock is ticking for him until signings are made.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2020, 11:07:06 AM »

I thought we did ok, the conditions ruined the game, its unfair to label all the criticism on peers, hes a totally different type of striker and plays a good role as one of the other 3.  We need someone upfront who can make the ball stick, in a game like that it was too hard to progress down the wings,  a younger version of kyle perry, rankine etc.  Unless we change our style i dont think we need a poacher etc , as peers can do that but as a front 2
Bernard Taylors barmy army

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2020, 11:12:29 AM »

Certainly a big test for PP and Co to spend wisely and bring in a midfielder and a striker.
I've got every faith in them having irons in the fire already.
imo Williams is okay but I'm afraid I have to agree with others that, although I like him, Peers will never be more than a bench player for us and an impact sub. Would love to be proven wrong but the clock is ticking for him until signings are made.

I thought he was decent yesterday; but is "Decent" and "okay" good enough for this league?

I said at the start of the summer we need a better centre mid (though I do believe Mullarkey could do that job), and I still believe that to be the case.

One thing that did impress me was that, with how many times in the past we would have given away a late goal, how we stayed solid until the very end.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2020, 11:27:19 AM »

I don't think it would be fair to judge anyone's season's prospects based on yesterday.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2020, 11:35:20 AM »

Rain should have stopped play. As Pete said in the pub, in the FA Cup or playing Halifax it'd have been off.

But some of his touches were abysmal and wouldn't have look out of place when were playing Matlock or Coalville.

Cisse's frustration/attitude to conditions also disappointed me. Don't run through puddles ask for longer balls to chase through the middle.
Kosolo cheap cards also a concern. Lucky not to be suspended.

But franky what worried me was the bench. A CB, defensive CM, LB accompanied by an unproven reserve player and Max Clayton whose not been prolific in pre-season. With such poor conditions I never felt there was a plan B. Each player came on and tried to pass through water or worse run the ball through.

Conditions side; Durrelll Lundstrum and Hulme all need to be replaced. Williams and Peers aren't anywhere close to their standard.

Kosylo does this I think, agree on the other two. Sean W always at his best when we dominate possession, unlikely to do this for long spells this season.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 11:37:14 AM by JTH »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2020, 12:32:42 PM »

Looking on the bright side 🔆, the Reserves beat Middlewich 4-0 in a Cheshire League fixture yesterday according to the NLP. 😊😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

andrewflynn

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2020, 01:36:24 PM »

Not reading too much into yesterday at all as it was a non event in that weather and should have been off, but I continue to fear that we won't reach last season's levels if we don't find a replacement for what Josh Lundstram brought to the side.

Toby Mullarkey was mustard.

All eyes are going to be on Tom Peers until we find a replacement and I get that, but he's never had a consistent run in the side.

Of course we need to find a replacement for Hulme, and I trust that we will. I just hope that should we struggle offensively in the mean time, that the criticism doesn't lie entirely with our stand-in number 9. We have real threats on the wings in Kosylo and Ceesay, with Mooney to return - the burden is as equally on them to step up as it is with whoever we play up front, in my opinion.

Personally, I'd like to see us adapt and go with Max Clayton as a deeper forward, sort of Firmino-esque, allowing our wingers to come inside more. Having watched him a bit in pre-season that seems to be what he likes to do. In Parky we trust.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2020, 01:48:07 PM »

When does the transfer window close

AltyFan101

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2020, 02:06:34 PM »

I'm struggling to get why there is so much criticism of Tom Peers.  You cannot go judging his performance based off the game yesterday because any forward in the league would have struggled to impact the game on that pitch.  I feel like the only reason for this negativity is because he's not the same player as Jordan Hulme which has always seemed to upset people.  Obviously he's not near Hulme in terms of what Jordan could do out of possession and also in terms of holding the ball up but Tom is excellent at being in the right position to score goals which is what you want from a poacher.  I do agree with Andrew, though, I would quite like to see Clayton brought into that deep-lying forward role where he can use his creativity to create chances for the wingers and also Hancock.

In terms of the midfield I'm sure most will agree that we need to strengthen because Lundstram was such a pivotal player for us last season and he is going to be missed a lot.  Do I think Mullarkey is capable of playing there?  Yes.  But I think he is best playing as a ball-playing centre-back as he has excellent composure and he is brilliant with the ball at his feet - he has the ability to run through teams that sit back and give him space and he is also the second-best passer in the team after Moult so is capable of finding the forwards with long passes whilst under pressure.  No reason to change the back line that has done fantastically for us recently although I was a little surprised to see White favoured over Hampson for the game yesterday.

Let's bring the positivity back and get behind the lads, I'm sure they'll look a lot brighter on Wednesday on a better pitch.  Let's hope we see the same level of determination and spirit we saw against Pompey last year and let's show the rest of the league why we are one of the most exciting, promising and best-drilled teams in the division.

By the way, any updates on Mooney?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2020, 02:41:43 PM »

I think the real point is that to win games in this league you need a big, strong and mobile player up front to bully the lofty centre backs that abound and to hold the ball up. Peers is a useful player for us but not that player. Parky needs to sign one pronto and I'm sure he will
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Saturday Match Thread