Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 TroublIng news from the other end of the line...

Author Topic: TroublIng news from the other end of the line...  (Read 3710 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: June 21, 2012, 10:04:27 AM »

This is outragous, and we should offer any help possible to any potential pheonix club, if this happens, surely it can't be allowed to take place.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/902768-rangers-plotting-audacious-bid-to-buy-bury-and-join-english-league

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: TroublIng news from the other end of the line...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 10:41:21 AM »

Can't see it happening, they'll end up being accepted back into the SPL.
Come on Alty!

bumble

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »

I thought this was just twitter BS!

I can't see it happening but then again footballs a strange game

bumble

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 11:54:20 AM »

http://www.buryfc.co.uk/page/LatestNews/0,,10422~2818003,00.html
Statement from the club

Only would accept outside investment if the club remained as Bury and played in Bury

Jezza

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 02:35:43 PM »

quite obviously a blatant attempt by rangers to scare the other clubs into voting them back into the SPL.

The other clubs should call their bluff...the only english clubs I can think of daft enough to do this would be gateshead, MK Rangers Dons and Northwich....

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 02:46:55 PM »

quite obviously a blatant attempt by rangers to scare the other clubs into voting them back into the SPL.

The other clubs should call their bluff...the only english clubs I can think of daft enough to do this would be gateshead, MK Rangers Dons and Northwich....

I'd have thought that an obvious target was Corby Town....

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Hamilton

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 02:55:08 PM »

Exactly what it is! A lot of club chairmen are frightened of losing the money playing Rangers brings them, but the majority of other teams' fans are for rejecting any attempt by Rangers to stay in the SPL. If they do vote Rangers back into the SPL a lot of Celtic fans/their supporters club say they will boycott matches at teams that vote for Rangers - so they could lose that money anyway.

It is all a big mess, but what is notable is that your average fan does not like the fact that Rangers have, to all intents, cheated.

Jezza

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 03:09:37 PM »

I do apologise to the fans of a certain club as I fear I must have just upset them terribly....sorry kettering fans..I forgot all about you and how this would be right up your street!!

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 03:34:02 PM »

Exactly what it is! A lot of club chairmen are frightened of losing the money playing Rangers brings them, but the majority of other teams' fans are for rejecting any attempt by Rangers to stay in the SPL. If they do vote Rangers back into the SPL a lot of Celtic fans/their supporters club say they will boycott matches at teams that vote for Rangers - so they could lose that money anyway.

It is all a big mess, but what is notable is that your average fan does not like the fact that Rangers have, to all intents, cheated.

If Sellick don't play them they're the biggest losers as the Sky deal falls without the Old Firm derbies. There's talk of resurrecting the Glasgow Cup (a Senior Cup equivalent) to allow this to happen. An uncompetitive league, a half empty Parkhead and no Sky money is a big worry for the Hoops - bigger than the Green Brigade numpties. Don't be shocked if Celtic help them out somehow - it's not called the Old Firm for nothng.

Personally I think it should be Div 3, the plummet of cash meaning an opportunity to build a team to be drawn from the best of Scotland's youth. Of course it would mean having to change the whole culture and ethos of the Govan team and that won't go down well with a fair % of their fans. If so tough - if they want to sing their nasty songs they can do so in Belfast (dreams on...)

Robin Reliant

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »

Quote from the Metro article.."The Sun reported that they were lining up a bid for the Greater Manchester club.

A source told SunSport: 'Rangers really are thinking about this."

Need I say more!  ;)

York Alty

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 03:55:33 PM »

What shouts loudest, justice or money?  Sadly it's money.

There will be a compromise found - Rangers will play in Divvy 1 for a season, get promoted and they're back to business as usual.  Celtic will survive without two home Rangers games for one season.  Every chance of playing them in the cups anyway. I am aware there is a chance that Rangers wouldn't go up first time.

Why would clubs vote in favour of a compromise?  Simply because there but for the grace of lady luck go plenty of clubs.  They'll be looking at their own accounts, scratching heads and thinking - how far away are we from a financial crash?  Back Rangers now, and they'll back us should the worst happen.

This, my fellow Alty fans, is very similar to the predicament that basement clubs in our division four faced when entrance to the FL was by election. And we know what happened then, year after bloody year.

(p.s I hold both the big two Glasgow clubs in equal contempt).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:03:40 PM by York Alty »

fuertes

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 07:35:02 PM »

From the Rangers point of view, I'd probably see this as the perfect time to move to England. Not taking over an existing club (which would be an utter, utter disgrace), but starting at whatever crap level they go for (Northern League perhaps?). If playing in part-time Scottish leagues with no hope of Europe is on the cards, why not bite the bullet and take their tin-pot medicine in England with the Premier League as the pot of gold at the end? The precedent is there. Several teams play in leagues outside their own country. Derry City moved from one association to another.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 09:13:53 PM »

I cannot even contemplate the logistics of accommodating 5000 pissed Rangers fans at Mickleover Sports in the Evostik League. It would be absolutely mental!
Come on Alty!

York Alty

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 05:02:49 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18641075

That's pretty much what I thought would happen.  Still lots of stuff to get into place but we can forget the Bury and SPL berth. The first division clubs are licking their lips at the prospect of at least two full houses next season.

Robin Reliant

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 05:09:12 PM »

If this goes through, it sets a precident for other "high profile" casualties to jump back in at a level higher than they otherwise would.
Not exactly being rewarded for breaking the financial rules, but not too far away.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team