News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Altrincham FC mentioned in the latest issue of the Radio Times

Author Topic: Altrincham FC mentioned in the latest issue of the Radio Times  (Read 2452 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

In an article on page 31, written as part of a preview of tomorrow's FA Cup Final, BBC 6 Music presenter and Wigan Athletic supporter, Stuart Maconie, reminisces about watching his team during the 1970s:

"Back then, the glamour ties we would salivate over were fixtures with Altrincham, Stafford Rangers and Boston United. Today, as we cling to our precarious perch in the rareified atmosphere of the Premier League, it's Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool."

Mind you, he does then proceed to unleash a howler by asserting that Wigan Athletic won the 1973 FA Trophy Final by defeating Stafford Rangers.

In fact, they lost 2-1 against Scarborough.

John King and John Rogers both played for Wigan Athletic in that match (and JR scored the Latics' late equaliser that sent the tie into extra time).

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 03:39:35 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Baldrick

Re: Altrincham FC mentioned in the latest issue of the Radio Times
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 07:14:20 PM »

Don't take too much notice of him. I have often heard him fondly remembering the punk days and saying things that clearly show he wasn't there.

York Alty

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 07:23:59 PM »

Don't take too much notice of him. I have often heard him fondly remembering the punk days and saying things that clearly show he wasn't there.

ah yes. i know the bloke you mean. rent-a-memory. hmmm.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 04:58:42 PM »

In an article on page 31, written as part of a preview of tomorrow's FA Cup Final, BBC 6 Music presenter and Wigan Athletic supporter, Stuart Maconie, reminisces about watching his team during the 1970s:

"Back then, the glamour ties we would salivate over were fixtures with Altrincham, Stafford Rangers and Boston United. Today, as we cling to our precarious perch in the rareified atmosphere of the Premier League, it's Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool."

Mind you, he does then proceed to unleash a howler by asserting that Wigan Athletic won the 1973 FA Trophy Final by defeating Stafford Rangers.

John King and John Rogers both played for Wigan Athletic in that match (and JR scored the Latics' late equaliser that sent the tie into extra time).

Very much enjoyed your correction of Stuart Maconie's FA Trophy reminiscence in this week's RT. It's ironic that he got it so wrong when he's made an entire career out of remembering things from the 70s.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 07:36:36 PM »

I don't even remember the Radio Times

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 04:09:44 PM »

Very much enjoyed your correction of Stuart Maconie's FA Trophy reminiscence in this week's RT. It's ironic that he got it so wrong when he's made an entire career out of remembering things from the 70s.

Thank you, Laurence.

The highlight was eliciting an acknowledgement from him that he was oh-so wrong.

Mind you, I'm still bewildered as to how on earth he could manage to convince himself that his team had won a match at Wembley which they had actually lost.

Believe me, I've attempted this tactic on numerous occasions, by repeatedly telling myself that Barry Howard scored a hat-trick in our victory over Enfield in 1982, and it just doesn't work....

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Altrincham FC mentioned in the latest issue of the Radio Times