PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Gutless
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Gutless  (Read 16618 times)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Gutless
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 11:33:36 PM »

If you look at various players Twitter Feeds I think you'll see that they are.

I know I wasn't there today but gutless seems a bit extreme. Other folk I'ce spoken to who were there said that we were poor, NOT intentionally, and that they were really really up for it, perhaps more than us? Gutless though....very unfair on a good bunch of lads who have done really well particularly during the second half of the season

You missed out today as you would have been in your element. An awful referee with an attractive woman assistant waiving a flag ;D

I would respectfully venture to suggest that she did more than WAVE a flag. I never like to see what some people define as an awful Referee either. Try playing without one eh?

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 11:44:39 PM »

I sort of agree with everything that's been said, we certainly weren't at our best and they were a big, strong team who did a great job of stifling us.

However, I felt the real story today was a contrast between chances taken and chances missed. Put simply, they took theirs and we missed ours.

Despite not playing well we created four very good chances, all in the second half. Our first attack involved Reeve's shot being cleared off the line and Turley making a good catch (unsurprisingly Turley seemed to thrive on the sh*t being given to him). Then there was Havern's clear header from eight yards out that hit the bar. Brooke had a header at the back post that was straight at Turley and finally Reeves had a shot smothered by Turley right at the end. Creating four good chances away from home in the play-offs when you're playing poorly is no bad effort.

Brackley on the other hand created five or six good chances and scored three of them. The second looked like an own goal to me (Brackley could have scored a very similar own goal in the first leg but instead hit the post twice). Finally, Brackley's third seemed to be well hit but straight into the middle of the goal. I wonder if Stuart could have done better (similarly, from the highlights I thought that Stuart was caught a bit flat footed for Brackely's goal at Moss Lane)?

Brackley were the better team, but what really did for us today was our inability to take the chances we were offered.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 12:30:50 AM by Jimmy Hill »
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 12:09:04 AM »

Good summary that Jimmy. To say that Altrincham players were gutless and didn't turn up is most unfair. Sometimes you just have to admit you got beaten by a team that did everything better than you on the day.

Jimmy

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 01:20:12 AM »

Ian they were no better than they were on Tuesday

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 05:01:48 AM »

I know I wasn't there today but gutless seems a bit extreme. Other folk I'ce spoken to who were there said that we were poor, NOT intentionally, and that they were really really up for it, perhaps more than us? Gutless though....very unfair on a good bunch of lads who have done really well particularly during the second half of the season

It was the worst performance since xmas, woeful. I'm absolutely distraught.  :'(

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 08:40:17 AM »

Of course they were better. they scored three goals. They didn't fade in the second half like they did at Moss Lane and they didn't allow Altrincham's players any space or time on the ball. You can only play as well as the other team lets you, and if Altrincham appeared to play badly it's because Brackley played well. The two recent games that people have used the "didn't turn up" comment were the defeat at Chester and this one. Altrincham need to turn up with better stronger players, and probably find some way of paying more money for them if they are going to get out of this division.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 08:59:24 AM »

You missed out today as you would have been in your element. An awful referee with an attractive woman assistant waiving a flag ;D

I would respectfully venture to suggest that she did more than WAVE a flag. I never like to see what some people define as an awful Referee either. Try playing without one eh?

I was not ctiticising the performance of the woman assistant referee, and personally I dont think she was bad at all yesterday and my other observation and personal opinion was that she was attractive - this was meant as a compliment to her. My opinion and that of most other Alty fans at the match, of the Ref's performanance was that he was very poor.

But as usual you come on this forum making a total prick of yourself not having bothered to attend our most important game of the season. You have a go at Alty fans at the game for commenting on what they saw and you defend the officials without witnessing the event yourself.

taxi Phil

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 09:03:15 AM »

Of course they were better. they scored three goals. They didn't fade in the second half like they did at Moss Lane and they didn't allow Altrincham's players any space or time on the ball. You can only play as well as the other team lets you, and if Altrincham appeared to play badly it's because Brackley played well. The two recent games that people have used the "didn't turn up" comment were the defeat at Chester and this one. Altrincham need to turn up with better stronger players, and probably find some way of paying more money for them if they are going to get out of this division.
As much as I hate that last sentence Ian, I can't disagree with it .

Jimmy

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 09:05:45 AM »

fair enough we only appeared to play badly

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 09:36:34 AM »

I was not ctiticising the performance of the woman assistant referee, and personally I dont think she was bad at all yesterday and my other observation and personal opinion was that she was attractive - this was meant as a compliment to her. My opinion and that of most other Alty fans at the match, of the Ref's performanance was that he was very poor.

But as usual you come on this forum making a total prick of yourself not having bothered to attend our most important game of the season. You have a go at Alty fans at the game for commenting on what they saw and you defend the officials without witnessing the event yourself.

Thank You Mr Redhill for demostrating that you still retain the ability to deliberately misinterpret what I post. Additionally you, once again, have to resort to personal abuse to (attempt to) make your point.

There are any number of people who don't travel for entirely valid reasons
Have a good Summer, chill out and redirect your energy away from petty squabbles toward unity in support

Jimmy

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2013, 09:53:29 AM »

Phil I'm sure you had a very good reason for not going however I fail to see how you can justify defending something you didn't see for the record I don't think the ref was that bad

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 10:09:11 AM »

Phil I'm sure you had a very good reason for not going however I fail to see how you can justify defending something you didn't see for the record I don't think the ref was that bad

That is my exact point and it happens everytime an Alty fan (not just me) mentions the poor standard of officials.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 10:39:51 AM »

My view for what it's worth
Brackley were bigger, stronger and more physical than us and no Alty player (bar Havern) had a good day, so really we were just beaten by the better team on the day. Refs always seem to have their own interpretation of what is an acceptable amount of contact and unfortunately yesterdays was one of the let it go variety which played right into Brackleys hands, against sides that play like that teams like ours need protection and we didn't get it which made the task in hand even more difficult, the ref didn't remotely cost us the game though.
Before the game we felt that if it was goalless after 30 minutes the odds would swing our way, then bang 3 minutes and it never got better.
Anyway my point is these things happen, I'm not happy about it but sometimes you get beaten and that's a fact. Of course I would have preferred us to go down in a better fashion but again you need some luck and we didn't even have that yesterday - at the start of he second half you could see Brackley were nervous and if we had taken one of our half chances then who knows?

For all the talk of Brackleys ground - pathetic for this level - and the money spent on the team, I left feeling a bit sorry for the town. While I went to the game my partner wandered around and after said it was a lovely quiet sleepy place where nothing much happens. I would hazard a guess that most people who live there never signed up for the visit of Halifax next week never mind Luton et al if they get promoted, and now because of the money they are operating at a level too big for the town to handle.

Randy Konk

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 11:13:58 AM »

There's a lot of talk of Brackley's playing budget. How big is it?  compared to ours for example and where is this money coming from?

If they're spending beyond their means, it's al going to come crashing down sooner or later surely.

Regards the game yesterday, gutted but beaten fair and square. Didn't think they were a better footballing team than us, just stronger and quicker.

I still think we're short of a couple of players to mount a title challenge next season but 80 points is a good haul, any improvement on that and we'll be up there.

Atticus

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2013, 11:22:20 AM »

Gutless is really unfair.

If anything I think brackley learned more on Tuesday than we did and adjusted their tactics to neutralise alty's creative play. They simply did not allow us to get the ball wide and restricted any balls through to reeves and dunc' who both became isolated and were crowded out when they did manage to get the ball at their feet. Brackley did not press as hard when we had possession in our half (in contrast to Tuesday when they snapped away immediately), but dropped off and cut off the supply. We didn't have the guile to break them down and constantly gave away possession attempting long balls out wide which were often intercepted.
The early goal was a disaster for us and gave them belief. Tactically we could not cope and did not adjust. Not helped by the left side of our defence collectively having a 'mare, though I think doughty was restricted by injury from a very bad foul in the first minute, that went unpunished.
So gutless - no. I think the players gave everything they had on the day.
But I do think for this game Sinnott was out thought and couldn't do anything to change it.
Unfortunately the best team won on the day.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Gutless