News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Season will NOT be extended

Author Topic: Season will NOT be extended  (Read 1977 times)

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: January 09, 2010, 11:50:45 PM »

From our fantastic main site;
Blue Square reports that "Dennis Strudwick, general manager of the league's governing body, says they currently have no plans to extend the current campaign beyond April 24.
A number of managers in the Blue Square Premier have already voiced their concerns over an ever-growing list of postponed fixtures... However, Strudwick was keen to point out that it would near impossible to change the season's scheduled finish. He told The Press: 'We don't have a crystal ball to see what the weather will be like in the future but I don't think a season has been extended for many years - certainly not in my working career - and it's not on the agenda yet. April 24 is the final day and, for one thing, it would not comply with players' contracts to end the season beyond that date. You also couldn't change it for some clubs and not others who manage to finish in time. That date is what we work to in order to get the play-offs in by the third week of May.

You don't start a marathon and then ask the runners to do more than 26 miles and 385 yards. That's where the finishing line is and every effort will be made to stick to the season as it stands'".

In reaction the York Press states that "The Conference have insisted that every effort will be made NOT to extend their league season... City finished last season with eight fixtures in 20 days, completing their programme with games on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday... But Strudwick does not feel alleviating that pressure by staging Trophy ties earlier in the season or during midweek is an option. He added: 'A change like that would need to be decided by the FA but, with the number of league games that we put on during the first half of the season, you have to ask where would the Trophy go? There is still ample space for midweek league fixtures now because of how we structure the start of the season'”.

Hughsey will be a bit pissed off. Looking ahead, it seems unlikely that we will see any football at moss lane until the end of January, unless we all get our hairdryers and blowtorches out.
Seriously, the wimbledon game has to be in doubt for tuesday - latest weather for wimbledon is that it will be slightly warmer than here, but are expected to get a little more snow before tuesday. We can all try to be positive for getting anygame on at the moment, but i am starting to fear for our run in. We could well end up playing three games a week for closing fortnight.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Season will NOT be extended
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 12:30:43 AM »

Pen pushing prick,no flexibility for the worst winter in years.Theres a world cup this summer and the premiership finishes 2 weeks after us,no wonder this league is now a laughing stock

Narcissist

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 07:41:20 AM »

His marathon analogy is just wrong. We dont want to play extra games, we want to play the games in a reasonable timeframe.

In Marathon terms, you dont keep the clock running if part of the course is temporarily obstructed and the marathon has to stop for 30 minutes. And I cant remember marathon runners having a strict time to finish the race by.

Marathon? What a tit!

seasonticket

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 09:29:57 AM »

Strudwick+BSP = Stupidity.
 I suppose we could say that he is being consistent and continuing to prove beyond doubt that this league is "Mickey Mouse" and would be better served by being part of the Disney Corporation.
Marathons do not have obstacles added when the race is half way through.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 11:26:32 AM »

Strudwick+BSP = Stupidity.
 I suppose we could say that he is being consistent and continuing to prove beyond doubt that this league is "Mickey Mouse" and would be better served by being part of the Disney Corporation.
Marathons do not have obstacles added when the race is half way through.

I thopught it was already part of the Disney Corporation:

The whole management of it Disney work!

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 11:40:45 AM »

Simple maths really

League Two: 46 games in a season, average of 23 games played so far. Season finishes 8th May

Blue Square Premier: 46 games in a season, average of 25 games played so far.Season finishes 24th April

You tell me how there is no room to move fixtures into May,when a season should finish anyway!!!
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 01:04:16 PM »

Simple maths really

League Two: 46 games in a season, average of 23 games played so far. Season finishes 8th May

Blue Square Premier: 46 games in a season, average of 25 games played so far.Season finishes 24th April

You tell me how there is no room to move fixtures into May,when a season should finish anyway!!!

spot on

Jacko

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 01:18:34 PM »

I don't get it,  The postponements will probably continue towards the end of January and dare I say even more February,

why make a statement like that without knowing what weather is ahead,

every sport changes to ensure its competition is sensible, non league needs this badly.

York Alty

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 09:42:30 PM »

what a prat, what an utter bloody prat.

This sort of pronouncement from on high is why people giggle at the BSP. 

BSP players are NOT affected by the world cup, the BSP is not affected by the world cup.  Extending by a week makes no difference at all to anybody other than this dick who has backed himself into a corner. He either comes out fighting and refuses to budge or agrees he was wrong and thinks he looks an even bigger fool.  This, my dear readers, is the quality of leadership the BSP works with. Lamentable.

I give in.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team