PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Players positions
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Players positions  (Read 4201 times)

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Players positions
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 12:27:41 PM »

Doughty has been excellent at left wing, I think he should stay there.

not if it means putting young at left back imo

Stan Hibbert

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 05:35:34 PM »

Doughty has been excellent at left wing, I think he should stay there.

not if it means putting young at left back imo

Thankyou!

Stan Hibbert

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 05:36:53 PM »

First of all I want to say a massive well done to the lads today for all their hard work and effeort. It was a great performance and we fully deserved the draw today as we also did against Eastbourne. The commitment shown by all was spot on.

I do believe however that if GH had played players in their correct positions then we may have won both games.

Why does GH insist on playing, in my opinion the best centre half in the league (Greg Young - sorry Mark McG) at left back..? He is not a left back, he does not pretend to be a left back and he is not a good left back. That is not a criticism of Greg as I am his biggest fan, but in the same way as you wouldn't play Coburn at right wing you shouldn't be playing Greg at left back. He looks uncomfortable there and when GH decides to play him there we are exploited down that side, as we were today and left vulnerable in the middle. Their second goal today was a prime example as was one of Eastbourne's goals.

GH obviously realised today that it wasn't working as he changed it and the minute he did was when we started to look very good with Greg back to his confident quality self in the middle with Mark McG. It then changed back again - then they scored their second..!

We have a perfectly decent back foUr when Greg and McGregor play in the middle as we have natural right backs and left backs in Smith and Doughty.

Am I missing something...??

The problem with playing any Centre back at full back is that they've spent probably their entire career trying not to go where full backs have to go i.e. wide, near the touch line. Hence you will have seen during this period of playing Greg at left back that he really does tuck right in as if he's playing as the left sided one of three centre backs rather than as a full back.

We bough Matt Doughty as a left back so why not play him there as surely I would have thought that getting the defence balanced correctly would be more important.

I'm sorry but as far as I'm concerned Doughty doesn't HAVE to play left side midfield as a previous correspondent put it. It is a choice to play him there and, for my money it weakens the team.

Thankyou!

bighairedmike

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 10:33:55 AM »

Dale had a touch of man flu, so GH preferred Welch up front to O'neill and Thornley.

And it looks like he preferes Welch in defence to McGregor alongside Young. No idea if McGregor is carrying a knock but I agree.

McGregor was out for a few games (hamstring if i remember rightly) and it seems that GH just wants to nnurse him back instead of chucking him on for a full 90 minutes. Sounds pretty fair. Agree with what has been said about dale and can see why he was brought on at that time. It swapped physical presence for physical presence up front and gave us more height at the back.

Greg Young played very well at left back for halifax in the season they got into the pplay offs. According to a halifax fan i spoke to the team was not the same when he got injured and couldnt play in the play offs. I think playing Doughty in the left of midfield is a necessity rather than a choice at the moment, as we have nobody else to play out there, that will last the full 90 minutes and have the same effect, at the moment.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Players positions