PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Players positions
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Players positions  (Read 4200 times)

Stan Hibbert

Players positions
« on: April 11, 2009, 06:27:05 PM »

First of all I want to say a massive well done to the lads today for all their hard work and effeort. It was a great performance and we fully deserved the draw today as we also did against Eastbourne. The commitment shown by all was spot on.

I do believe however that if GH had played players in their correct positions then we may have won both games.

Why does GH insist on playing, in my opinion the best centre half in the league (Greg Young - sorry Mark McG) at left back..? He is not a left back, he does not pretend to be a left back and he is not a good left back. That is not a criticism of Greg as I am his biggest fan, but in the same way as you wouldn't play Coburn at right wing you shouldn't be playing Greg at left back. He looks uncomfortable there and when GH decides to play him there we are exploited down that side, as we were today and left vulnerable in the middle. Their second goal today was a prime example as was one of Eastbourne's goals.

GH obviously realised today that it wasn't working as he changed it and the minute he did was when we started to look very good with Greg back to his confident quality self in the middle with Mark McG. It then changed back again - then they scored their second..!

We have a perfectly decent back foUr when Greg and McGregor play in the middle as we have natural right backs and left backs in Smith and Doughty.

Am I missing something...??

Alex

Re: Players positions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 07:08:45 PM »

we have injurys and suspensions so doughty has to play left wing, so young has to cover at left back.

Stan Hibbert

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 07:26:39 PM »

we have injurys and suspensions so doughty has to play left wing, so young has to cover at left back.

I agree that we do have injuries but this is a mistake - since when was Doughty playing at left wing...? I must have been to different games than you...!

Alex

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 07:33:50 PM »

just incase u didn't see doughty was the one ahead of young all game, and put the ball across for thornleys goal (that was never off side)  :)

Stan Hibbert

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 07:37:49 PM »

just incase u didn't see doughty was the one ahead of young all game, and put the ball across for thornleys goal (that was never off side)  :)

Does this then make him a left winger?

Can't be ars*d with this - you've missed the point anway

AltyIan

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 07:41:06 PM »

more importantly, since when has colin little become left footed?, he took the pen with his left

Stan Hibbert

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 07:41:55 PM »

more importantly, since when has colin little become left footed?, he took the pen with his left

I thought the same, sweet strike though .. ;D

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 08:27:42 PM »

Colin has always taken pens with his left foot,which is why I couldn't watch it. IMO, Doughty should be the regular taker, every pen I've seen him taken has been perfect (ie hard,fast and in top corners).

But today,not arsed. The difference 2 minutes of football makes.....us heading for defeat with York getting a point and Barrow heading for defeat.Then we gain a point,York lose and Barrow do the same as us. And amongst all this, we move up 2 places too to 15th (which is what I predicted at the start of the season  ;D). Bring on Monday!!!
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 08:55:25 PM »

First of all I want to say a massive well done to the lads today for all their hard work and effeort. It was a great performance and we fully deserved the draw today as we also did against Eastbourne. The commitment shown by all was spot on.

I do believe however that if GH had played players in their correct positions then we may have won both games.

Why does GH insist on playing, in my opinion the best centre half in the league (Greg Young - sorry Mark McG) at left back..? He is not a left back, he does not pretend to be a left back and he is not a good left back. That is not a criticism of Greg as I am his biggest fan, but in the same way as you wouldn't play Coburn at right wing you shouldn't be playing Greg at left back. He looks uncomfortable there and when GH decides to play him there we are exploited down that side, as we were today and left vulnerable in the middle. Their second goal today was a prime example as was one of Eastbourne's goals.

GH obviously realised today that it wasn't working as he changed it and the minute he did was when we started to look very good with Greg back to his confident quality self in the middle with Mark McG. It then changed back again - then they scored their second..!

We have a perfectly decent back foUr when Greg and McGregor play in the middle as we have natural right backs and left backs in Smith and Doughty.

Am I missing something...??

The problem with playing any Centre back at full back is that they've spent probably their entire career trying not to go where full backs have to go i.e. wide, near the touch line. Hence you will have seen during this period of playing Greg at left back that he really does tuck right in as if he's playing as the left sided one of three centre backs rather than as a full back.

We bough Matt Doughty as a left back so why not play him there as surely I would have thought that getting the defence balanced correctly would be more important.

I'm sorry but as far as I'm concerned Doughty doesn't HAVE to play left side midfield as a previous correspondent put it. It is a choice to play him there and, for my money it weakens the team.

joe

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 09:01:13 PM »

I thought it was Little who put the ball across for Thornleys 'goal'?

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 11:46:08 PM »

And since when did Welch become a striker, what was the reason for this ,as we hade strikers on the bench dont understand it !

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 02:45:47 AM »

1. Is that a typo Nasha? Colin usually takes, to much consternation amongst us, his penalties with his right foot. A mighty relief to see him line it up with his left today, altho Doughty is defo our best penalty taker.

2. Youngy is not a left back, however (and I am a huge fan of Matt Doughty) Buzz put in 2 pretty poor performances at left back at Ebbsfleet and Lewes last week so it did have one useful effect.

3. Welchy? Dale was bullied out of it at Lewes last week and ineffective and heavy legged on Tuesday. A kick up the arse today resulted in him giving us a powerful 20 minutes or so. Good work by GH tofay I felt.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 07:50:45 AM »

Dale had a touch of man flu, so GH preferred Welch up front to O'neill and Thornley.

And it looks like he preferes Welch in defence to McGregor alongside Young. No idea if McGregor is carrying a knock but I agree.

Full time and proud of it

Dougals Dad

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 11:59:28 AM »

And since when did Welch become a striker, what was the reason for this ,as we hade strikers on the bench dont understand it !

He has a very good strike rate as a forward!

andrewflynn

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 12:22:51 PM »

Doughty has been excellent at left wing, I think he should stay there.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Players positions