PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Todays match thread and team news
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Todays match thread and team news  (Read 13559 times)

Altyant

Re: Todays match thread and team news
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2008, 10:13:53 PM »

redhill its not true to say that we only had one chance, in fact senior was clear on goal a minute after we conceded the first. i spoke to a crawley fan in the bar after and he said he felt we could easily have scored a couple with better finishing.
also i have to say that crawley were one of the better teams i have seen going forward and it wouldnt surprise me if they were in the mix at the end
having said that midfield was a shambles and to add to that several players just had very poor games
but i dont suppose anyone really thought we would get much at crawley and sometimes you just have to accept a beating and move on to games you can get something out of

nice london alty meetup, i'm too old for all that beer now and my head hurts

KJuyst out of interest, was Laney playing in central midfield, or was he playing as a straight replacement for Shaun?

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2008, 10:16:10 PM »

KJuyst out of interest, was Laney playing in central midfield, or was he playing as a straight replacement for Shaun?

Definitely centre mid. Hopefully we won't be making that mistake again!
Come on Alty!

Altyant

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2008, 10:22:01 PM »

Cheers mate. Hopefully he wont do the same again at Barrow.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2008, 12:04:28 PM »

Back in Ireland, back at work, feeling slightly blue and even the heavens are weeping in an uncontrollable fashion.

Only picked this game to go to as I'd not been to Crawley before and cheap flights into London and a resampling of the London Alty experience (actually the sampling may have gone too far and I apologise to any unfortunate ears that had to listen to my inane ramblings.....you know who you are). Many thanks to all and especially Rocky, genial host extraordinaire for making it a worthwhile trip.

Never realistically expected us to get much there (although you always live in hope). When they scored in the first couple of minutes the dye was cast. I thought they were reasonably god value for their 4-0. A combination of defensive errors and under-par performances all round made it a poor day at the office. It happens. Sure we had a few chances, but not sure we deserved a great deal. Even the cheers as Ralph saved their penalty were choked in our throats as it was rather quickly returned for their fourth goal.

Let's hope we can just put this one down to a bad day and move onto to Tuesday with renewed hope.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2008, 04:40:06 PM »

Back in Ireland, back at work, feeling slightly blue and even the heavens are weeping in an uncontrollable fashion.

Only picked this game to go to as I'd not been to Crawley before and cheap flights into London and a resampling of the London Alty experience (actually the sampling may have gone too far and I apologise to any unfortunate ears that had to listen to my inane ramblings.....you know who you are). Many thanks to all and especially Rocky, genial host extraordinaire for making it a worthwhile trip.

Never realistically expected us to get much there (although you always live in hope). When they scored in the first couple of minutes the dye was cast. I thought they were reasonably god value for their 4-0. A combination of defensive errors and under-par performances all round made it a poor day at the office. It happens. Sure we had a few chances, but not sure we deserved a great deal. Even the cheers as Ralph saved their penalty were choked in our throats as it was rather quickly returned for their fourth goal.

Let's hope we can just put this one down to a bad day and move onto to Tuesday with renewed hope.

Thats really interersting the "dye was cast" I can see how that makes sense i always assumed it was the die was cast as in a metal dice!
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2008, 05:54:07 PM »

We were woeful. Crawley were very good going forward though and definitely the best side I've seen us play this season. Even if we had played to our potential I think they would have beaten us. At least the day out made up for it, was still feeling the affect this morning at work.

altyf

« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2008, 09:31:53 PM »

Crawley were fantastic, their passing and movement was incredibly slick and they're the best side I've seen this season by a long way. But to see the game over and done after 30 minutes was dreadful (and to be honest, I felt it was over after 80 seconds).

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2008, 10:31:08 PM »

[/quote]

Thats really interersting the "dye was cast" I can see how that makes sense i always assumed it was the die was cast as in a metal dice!
[/quote]

The die is cast refers to the casting of a metal part in engineering such as a printing set......once it is made, the result of its use cannot be changed. Hence
an irrevocable situation.

First in a weekly series of the understanding of English metaphors  ;) ;)
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2008, 04:46:06 PM »

[/quote]

The die is cast refers to the casting of a metal part in engineering such as a printing set......once it is made, the result of its use cannot be changed. Hence

First in a weekly series of the understanding of English metaphors  ;) ;)
[/quote]

Another metaphor that gets me is "cash strapped", strapped with cash would be a good thing i would presume
Bernard Taylors barmy army

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2008, 05:11:38 PM »

I was always thought it referred to the supposed words of Julius Caesar as he crossed the River Rubicon with his army. Classical scholars and ex Alty ball-boys will recall it was forbidden for a military commander to march on Rome at the head of his legion, hence as he made the fateful decision crossing the border of Rome (the Rubicon) to challenge the Senate he was rolling the dice (or singular die). Bit like playing Laney in centre mid by the sound of it. By the way are Londinium Altyiusnous  covening to witness the slaughter of the Burton hordes next thursday?   

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2008, 05:23:01 PM »

By the way are Londinium Altyiusnous  covening to witness the slaughter of the Burton hordes next thursday?   

Most definitely. Well, not at all definitely, given there's the whole Trophy replay situation, but you get my drift.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2008, 06:41:25 PM »

Anyone got any sackcloth and ashes?

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2008, 08:35:46 PM »

I was always thought it referred to the supposed words of Julius Caesar as he crossed the River Rubicon with his army. Classical scholars and ex Alty ball-boys will recall it was forbidden for a military commander to march on Rome at the head of his legion, hence as he made the fateful decision crossing the border of Rome (the Rubicon) to challenge the Senate he was rolling the dice (or singular die). Bit like playing Laney in centre mid by the sound of it. By the way are Londinium Altyiusnous  covening to witness the slaughter of the Burton hordes next thursday?   

Mr Sugden would be proud of you.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2008, 08:44:53 PM »

Questions about Greece and Rome
What does "The die is cast" said by Julius Caesar mean?

Dr. dig responds:
Julius Caesar said the words "the die is cast" (or rather he said it in Latin: "jacta alea est!") when he crossed the river Rubicon. This river was the boundary between ancient Italy and the province of Cisalpine Gaul. When Julius Caesar crossed the river in 49 B.C., he passed beyond the limits of his province of Cisalpine Gaul and became an invader in Italy, thus starting a war with Pompey and the Senate of Rome.

Caesar used the phrase as a metaphor to express the fact that he had crossed the river, and there was no going back.

Hmmm, maybe but old Julius clearly nicked the phrase from his engineering mate back in Rome........well its what I was always told anyway!

Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2008, 09:03:02 PM »

Questions about Greece and Rome
What does "The die is cast" said by Julius Caesar mean?

Dr. dig responds:
Julius Caesar said the words "the die is cast" (or rather he said it in Latin: "jacta alea est!") when he crossed the river Rubicon. This river was the boundary between ancient Italy and the province of Cisalpine Gaul. When Julius Caesar crossed the river in 49 B.C., he passed beyond the limits of his province of Cisalpine Gaul and became an invader in Italy, thus starting a war with Pompey and the Senate of Rome.

Caesar used the phrase as a metaphor to express the fact that he had crossed the river, and there was no going back.

Hmmm, maybe but old Julius clearly nicked the phrase from his engineering mate back in Rome........well its what I was always told anyway!

Portsmouth!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Todays match thread and team news