PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Turnup for people who don't follow (or selectively follow) current affairs
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Turnup for people who don't follow (or selectively follow) current affairs  (Read 3737 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Believe it or not, there is a minority group here in England, inevitably including football followers, who endeavour to pay by cash only as far as possible as a point of principle, and in fact possible reasons for this are not hard to find. Whilst there may be people who consider it acceptable to be prejudiced against this particular minority group (though I would hope and expect that such bigotry would not be aired on here), the point is that the decision for whatever reasons not to accept cash payments from some or all spectators by certain football clubs (and notably, of course, Wrexham) tends towards the exclusion of such football supporters, and I would tentatively suggest that reasonable efforts should be made by clubs (as has happened at Alty) to accommodate people from this group, the same as with other minority groups. I repeat, Alty for all. Alienate groups of people and they (and for that matter other people who care about the treatment of minorities) may leave for good.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 10:58:59 PM by Hugh »

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Believe it or not, there is a minority group here in England, inevitably including football followers, who endeavour to pay by cash only as far as possible as a point of principle, and in fact possible reasons for this are not hard to find. Whilst there may be people who consider it acceptable to be prejudiced against this particular minority group (though I would hope and expect that such bigotry would not be aired on here), the point is that the decision for whatever reasons not to accept cash payments from some or all spectators by certain football clubs (and notably, of course, Wrexham) tends towards the exclusion of such football supporters, and I would tentatively suggest that reasonable efforts should be made by clubs (as has happened at Alty) to accommodate people from this group, the same as with other minority groups. I repeat, Alty for all. Alienate groups of people and they (and for that matter other people who care about the treatment of minorities) may leave for good.

Can you expand on those reasons, Hugh? I can appreciate that this may discriminate against people who don't have credit or access to modern technology, but it also offers a protection against football clubs, and other retailers, from being robbed of a pile of cash., with their employees potentially being subject to violence, and enables clubs to plan for the level of attendance.

I am not sure why it's "notably" Wrexham, incidentally. as I am sure Altrincham urged everyone to get advance tickets where possible a few days ago.   "Where possible" is  an important proviso, there, admittedly.

I don't entirely disagree on libertarian grounds, but it is a balance where people who want to enjoy their freedom to pay by cash are adding an element of risk  of theft (or catching covid?:))to a worker who has no choice, just as smokers do when they smoke in a worker's presence. As I say, it's a balance. If you want to make football available for all, I suggest cheaper tickets would be more helpful, but that's a different story.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Worlds biggest persecution complex.

Wanting to be unbanked is one thing, then finding ways to complain about your choices is another.

I must say though it's great to see you've not lost your vigour for using word soup to avoid making a coherent point.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile

I would have been excluded during the period of my bankruptcy 2013/4. There are people out there who absolutely need to pay cash, and if this incompetent bunch of tossers in Westminster carry on as they are there'll be more of them. God help the self-employed.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Cash is expensive to manage, far easier to hide from taxation and makes a simple target for a crime of violence. If people choose to use cash then go ahead but businesses can also choose who to trade with, and how.

Cash, like smoking, is dying out. There will be a small % who persist for a variety of reasons like there are people who have no mains power. So long as they're happy and harming nobody else...carry on.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Financial exclusion is something I focus on in my line of work; to that degree, Hugh - I agree.

Just don't be surprised if we get to the point where there's one dedicated cash turnstile and the rest are e-ticket only.

We adjust according to demand and there's nothing wrong with the club encouraging people to try e-tickets if it helps from an operational point of view.

Personally I park up, buy my e-ticket in my 30 second walk to the ground (God bless Google Chrome autofill) - and sail straight through the gate. The club have now asked me to try buying my ticket much more in advance, therefore I'm going to try my best to do that if they're telling me that helps them understand what infrastructure they need.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I'd say we should take cash, but it should be via a ticket window at the sample place people pick up comps, rather than turnstile.

Southend you have to pay cash then take ticket to turnstyle. Or use an eticket. Same couldnapply.
It's all my fault.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I'd say we should take cash, but it should be via a ticket window at the sample place people pick up comps, rather than turnstile.

Southend you have to pay cash then take ticket to turnstyle. Or use an eticket. Same couldnapply.

That's a good and a sensible option. I wouldn't be surprised to see this introduced if the electric option is extended.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

That's a good and a sensible option. I wouldn't be surprised to see this introduced if the electric option is extended.

I've experienced that at other grounds and it seems to work ok.
On a slightly different tack I think we are Turkeys voting for Christmas. It's only a matter of time before the banks start ramping up the charges for their e-payment services and at the end of the day there is only going to be one loser.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

There are those that believe digital currency enables governments and big tech to monitor your spending habits. In a distopian world you could then be limited to spending your money on things that are approved....i.e. an overweight person limited to healthy food.

It all sounds so far fetched that it could never happen.....however only last week people had their Paypal accounts frozen for comments they had made on Twitter about certain political idealogies. The PM of Canada, Trudeau also froze the bank accounts of truckers protesting about lockdowns and economic harms to the haulage industry.
Personally I cannot imagine it in my lifetime, but from someone who's son was not allowed to eat chocolate at lunch at a Trafford primary school...then I can see some merit in their theory
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 02:09:58 PM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Turnup for people who don't follow (or selectively follow) current affairs
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2022, 02:35:29 PM »

I've experienced that at other grounds and it seems to work ok.
On a slightly different tack I think we are Turkeys voting for Christmas. It's only a matter of time before the banks start ramping up the charges for their e-payment services and at the end of the day there is only going to be one loser.
An astute observation cat and a consequence of a cashless society I hadn’t thought of. If we had no alternative to turn to the banks would have us over a barrel and they don’t have a very good track record when it comes to having a social conscience.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2022, 03:31:44 PM »

I noticed that Warrington Town now charge more for cash payment at the turnstile (£12) against £10 for an e-ticket

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2022, 04:46:49 PM »

I noticed that Warrington Town now charge more for cash payment at the turnstile (£12) against £10 for an e-ticket

That a bit naughty, is it legal to do this?

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2022, 04:49:59 PM »

Might be advanced vs not.

Notts county charge 2 quid more on the day
It's all my fault.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2022, 05:01:55 PM »

That a bit naughty, is it legal to do this?
Many clubs are doing this
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Turnup for people who don't follow (or selectively follow) current affairs