News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 AGM Cup

Author Topic: AGM Cup  (Read 5610 times)

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
AGM Cup
« on: April 12, 2010, 08:06:35 PM »

Who do we think is in pole position then?

With the news that Grays are looking to apply for the Ryman, that will mean either Worcester or Lewes reprieved from Conference South.

Vics are still uncertain, and that could see a reprieve for 2nd bottom Vauxhall

Then in BSP, you have numerous clubs with financial difficulties (Salisbury, Histon, FGR, Ebbsfleet being the main ones). What would happen if more than 2 went bump? Would Grimsby be reprieved or would the more sensible option of the losing finalists from the regional play-offs play each other?

This midtable lark is boring. I miss celebrating staying up in the middle of June  :D
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: AGM Cup
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 08:18:45 PM »

Yes, it was fun, wasn't it? having you hollies overshadowed each year and spending loads of euros on the hotel internet service!

On the whole, I think I prefer the worry over whether we'll finish top half or not! ;)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

JonnyKeen

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 12:05:56 AM »

Sorry but what actually IS the AGM Cup?  ???

Jezza

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 06:31:35 AM »

It's the most bitterly fought out competition between the clubs that finish in the highest relegation places and other clubs who finished higher up the league(s) to see who actually gets relegated.

It is played out at the end of season conference AGM where they decide the league make up for next season.

It's sort of like a cross between the play offs and deal or no deal.

I hope that is clear.

We are cup holders for life after winning 3 AGM cups in a row after beating scarboro, boston and halifax all of whom got kicked out thus giving us a reprieve from relegation.

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 07:28:35 AM »

Perhaps the conference should actually introduce relegation playoffs. At the end of each season they could randomly draw 8 teams (maybe include a wildcard from league 2 to spice it up) to play 4 ties, home and away. The losers get relegated. Not sure how this would work if the promotion play off winners also ended up getting relegated by this process - perhaps it needs fine tuning.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Jezza

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 07:48:25 AM »

think you're on to something there frankie.....I think the winners of the league should definetly go into the mix..and probably a premiership side....

matnvfcmad

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 08:56:18 AM »

arent you lot normally the winners of this ::)

York Alty

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 09:18:17 AM »

3 time winners, that's what we're allowed to keep it forever.

We seem unlikely to qualify this year, though if we find out that Colin Little was never registeed then a lot of points over the past few years will be deducted from this years total (Prat Peake will claim this is a BSP policy).

Harrogate are on the brink of relegation, that will cheer me up no end.  I always felt that the league games against them were some of our lowest points.  They're hoping for AGM cup victory too.

Jenga

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 12:11:11 PM »

arent you lot normally the winners of this ::)

You are in no position to comment - go away little boy and troll forums from your own league.

rick

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 03:13:23 PM »

in there league they dont have forums as the only people watching them  are from across the roads stood in beer gardens.

Jezza

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 03:53:56 PM »

I think we took over Vics as the AGM champs.....but then again, we always do take over the vics.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 08:27:24 PM »

in there league they dont have forums as the only people watching them  are from across the roads stood in beer gardens.

We've got the Golf Road, they've got the Salt Factory. Nuff said.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 AGM Cup