News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Ricky Ponting Event

Author Topic: Ricky Ponting Event  (Read 2614 times)

JT

Ricky Ponting Event
« on: September 16, 2009, 07:54:21 AM »

From main site,

Ponting delivers for Alty

Australian cricket captain Ricky Ponting kept his promise to help Altrincham Football Club raise vital funds by attending a hugely successful dinner that has netted the Blue Square Premier club a significant five figure amount. Ponting fielded a wide range of questions from many of the guests and the Cresta Court Hotel was literally packed to the rafters to see the Tasmanian make one of just two personal appearances at dinner events this year.

Ponting became a shareholder in the Football Club recently after Chairman, Geoff Goodwin, who has been the Aussies' coach driver during the last two Ashes series in England, donated some of his shares to the thirty-four year old. Ricky was keen to help out the club before he left England and Altrincham Vice-Chairman, Grahame Rowley, paid tribute to his Chairman and newest shareholder. 'Geoff's personal friendship with Ricky and involvement with the Australian cricket team have helped raise the profile of the football club tremendously and they both deserve a massive amount of credit for making this event happen. There were well over two hundred people in a very lively audience and it was undoubtedly one of our best functions ever'.

Geoff Goodwin was also in ebullient mood after the event saying 'The Australian Cricket Team have been fantastic friends of the club and for Ricky to offer to help us out and travel from Nottingham to attend was just brilliant'.A host of items, including Australian cricket memorabilia, were auctioned, with the biggest bid being for a motorbike signed at the MTV Awards by a galaxy of pop stars including Kylie Minogue and all four members of Take That.

The funds raised are especially significant to the Blue Square Premier club following the hammer blow of losing £80,000 of television revenue as a consequence of the demise of Setanta during the summer and the actions of Goodwin and Ponting have given Altrincham manager Graham Heathcote a major boost in his efforts to maintain his team's chances of continuing to battle things out in the highest echelon of non-league football".

Sounds like a great event! Would love to hear more about it from the people who went...

markecky

Re: Ricky Ponting Event
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 08:24:58 AM »

Well done to all those that organised it...it takes some doing an event of 200 plus people.  Sounds like a great night.

Narcissist

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 09:00:08 AM »

That has made my day. Ponting is an alty legend in my eyes and i dont care if anyone says thats ridiculous, in my eyes its not.

Bigger legends are Goodwin and Rowley. They are at the top of the game when it comes to fundraising and the effort that goes into this club from them beggars belief.

That article is a great statement about Alty, and one every club official can be proud of.

Spread the love!

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 10:17:44 PM »

That has made my day. Ponting is an alty legend in my eyes and i dont care if anyone says thats ridiculous, in my eyes its not.

Bigger legends are Goodwin and Rowley. They are at the top of the game when it comes to fundraising and the effort that goes into this club from them beggars belief.

That article is a great statement about Alty, and one every club official can be proud of.

Spread the love!

Agree with all of that

Ashley Alty

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 09:39:39 AM »

How much was raised on the night, out of interest?

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 09:51:58 AM »

How much was raised on the night, out of interest?

Says a five figure sum...£10k would have been fantastic

markecky

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 10:32:55 AM »

I think they are rightly not publicising the amount, as it only makes clubs/players think you have that sort of money knocking about to spend.

As Blackpool Alty says, even if its the miniumum five figures then its great but I have heard it was a bit more from people who went.

Longman

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 06:22:57 PM »

Nice one Ricky!

He'll be on the Golf Road watching the lads next!   ;)

Dougals Dad

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 06:43:57 PM »

Spread the love!

Hear hear.

I was listening to the cricket and one of the Aussie commentators says that if even an opponent goes up and asks for 15 minutes of advice he is always very happy to give a young'un some time. Absolutely top bloke.

Go for it Nicky Clee!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Ricky Ponting Event