News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Skippers Collection Money - Donation to the SOS Fund

Author Topic: Skippers Collection Money - Donation to the SOS Fund  (Read 3229 times)

markecky

« on: January 07, 2009, 02:06:17 PM »

All,

You may remember a few months back when we collected just short of £480 for flowers for Skipper's (Gary Wright) funeral after he sadly passed away.

The flowers were purchased for £250 and were a fitting tribute to him at the service.

After speaking with a few people close to Gary, we had to decide what to do with the £230 balance.  We originally thought a a plaque although this could cause issues in that other great Alty fans who have passed away did not get this.  The last thing we would want is any ill feeling.

With this in mind it was decided to donate the money to the SOS (Strengthen our Squad) Fund at the football club.  That way it supports a cause that everyone who gave money supports and I think Skipper would have been honoured that a considerable sum has been donated in his memory.

The money was handed over at lunchtime today and gratefully received by the club.

fuertes

Re: Skippers Collection Money - Donation to the SOS Fund
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 02:20:47 PM »

A nice idea, good stuff.

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 02:44:54 PM »

Thats very good of you Ecky.  With all the work and support you have given over the years for the club, may I put your name forward as a great Alty fan  :-*

Jezza

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 03:06:23 PM »

I'm sure Skipper would approve

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 08:59:14 PM »

Two minds on this one, yes we clearly need a cash sub due to current cash flow issues but it really is a small drop in any ocean. Perhaps a memorial plaque to all fans/players/staff etc in the bar to be engraved with names could have been a better and more all encompassing tribute. Just a thought and off the cuff but I realise some sort of qualification criteria would be necessary.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 09:23:08 PM »

Excellent idea.
@AltyDaz

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 09:35:20 PM »

On the subject of putting things up in the bar:

Any chance we can replace the photos of bloody Aussie cricketers with inspirational Alty-related pictures which serve as a fitting tribute to our fantastic history? Perhaps a few photos from our games at Wembley and FA Cup matches against the likes of Spurs, Everton and Liverpool? Even more recent stuff such as the playoffs in 2005 would look a treat.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 09:37:15 PM by ALTY 1981 »
Come on Alty!

markecky

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 11:07:54 PM »

Two minds on this one, yes we clearly need a cash sub due to current cash flow issues but it really is a small drop in any ocean. Perhaps a memorial plaque to all fans/players/staff etc in the bar to be engraved with names could have been a better and more all encompassing tribute. Just a thought and off the cuff but I realise some sort of qualification criteria would be necessary.

With respect, this stirs up just the kind of debate I didn't want. 

How big is it?  Who is frst on it?  What qualifies people to be on it? What happens when it is full?  £230 doesn't  buy much in plaque world..who pays for the engraving?

It was far easier to just donate it to once of skippers favourite causes, Altrincham Football Club.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 11:12:50 PM »

With respect, this stirs up just the kind of debate I didn't want. 

Ok fair do's but that is why we have a forum, for ALL to have a say and dare I be permitted to say debate. Just a suggestion that's all.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

markecky

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 11:23:54 PM »

Of course, but something like a plaque raises more questions than answers.

It would be awful if we had a forum full of "my Dad did x for 30 years for Alty and no-one got him a plaque"

Donating the money was the safest option for all.

RocketDan

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 01:06:51 AM »

Skipper has a Memorial Corner on the my square, he is in the program every week.
Do we really need a plaque? with no disrespect, but how many other clubs have plaques of honouring fans who have passed away?

personally I would divide it up and give it back to people who donated give it to the SOS, so the club can benefit.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 07:46:59 PM »

Skipper has a Memorial Corner on the my square, he is in the program every week.
Do we really need a plaque? with no disrespect, but how many other clubs have plaques of honouring fans who have passed away?

personally I would divide it up and give it back to people who donated give it to the SOS, so the club can benefit.

The mysquare for Skipper and also a race on the race night in his memory is going to be an on going annual tribute to him paid for by the stewards. Therefore when asked us about the money to be honest we had forgot about to donate to the club it was an instant yes.
@AltyDaz

Altyant

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 08:53:30 PM »

Great idea Ecky
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team