PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 No Watmore?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No Watmore?  (Read 4655 times)

ripleym

No Watmore?
« on: May 21, 2014, 08:35:44 PM »

Just noticed the SPL playoff final (presumably for promotion to) is on Sky1.  No Watmore in the squad though?  Is he still on loan at Hibs, has he made many 1st team appearances?

Watching some of the passing, crossing and finishing, I could hang up my boots for the supporters team today, and be a LEGEND in the SPL!!  Get Dunc involved if you want to go up!

Jimmy

Re: No Watmore?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 08:39:13 PM »

Think he is injured

ripleym

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 08:39:42 PM »

Bummer

ripleym

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 08:45:02 PM »

Just been trying to figure this out actually, as I was sure Hibs were already SPL.  What an unusual but great way to manage promotion - assuming I have it right - where playoffs involve the higher placed team from the league below playing the lower placed team from the league above!

sweetfa

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 08:55:09 PM »

He picked up groin strain whilst training on the artificial pitch that tonight's game is played on. Might be OK for Sunday - test/train Friday. Sundays game on BT Sport at 1530.

And yes the play-offs are second bottom vs Championship play-off winner. It was tried in England in late 80s  but dropped for present system since then.

Jimmy

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 09:11:45 PM »

Just been trying to figure this out actually, as I was sure Hibs were already SPL.  What an unusual but great way to manage promotion - assuming I have it right - where playoffs involve the higher placed team from the league below playing the lower placed team from the league above!
In the early days playoffs had simalar format I remember Div 1 charlton beating div2 Leeds in 87 I think mayev been the first playoff year

ripleym

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 09:12:33 PM »

Great, thanks for the clarification.  Hope he makes it!

roytonmike

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 09:17:30 PM »

Hibs are two up.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

York Alty

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 10:21:02 PM »

In the early days playoffs had simalar format I remember Div 1 charlton beating div2 Leeds in 87 I think mayev been the first playoff year

That final was at St. Andrews with about 30000 Leeds fans and a tiny section of Charlton fans.  Charlton won...lovely jubbly.  I prefer that system to the one we have now but even after our heroics I'm not a fan at all.  You finish second after 40 odd games and don't go up but a team finishing fifth does?  That's not right.

Hamilton

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 10:37:43 PM »

That final was at St. Andrews with about 30000 Leeds fans and a tiny section of Charlton fans.  Charlton won...lovely jubbly.  I prefer that system to the one we have now but even after our heroics I'm not a fan at all.  You finish second after 40 odd games and don't go up but a team finishing fifth does?  That's not right.

Unless, of course, you support the team that finished fifth. The great plus of the play offs is that is keeps more teams interested. In the SPL Hearts were down a long time ago so there were a lot of teams that would have had not much incentive for a battle without the p/offs.

With the amount of free kicks our Dunc has been winning I'm surprised the injury wasn't from a dodgy tackle.

Jimmy

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 11:53:09 PM »

Playoffs in all leagues have been a success if 7 v 8 were playing back in the day it would be a pointless match with small crowd

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 11:59:57 PM »

Just noticed the SPL playoff final (presumably for promotion to) is on Sky1.  No Watmore in the squad though?  Is he still on loan at Hibs, has he made many 1st team appearances?

Watching some of the passing, crossing and finishing, I could hang up my boots for the supporters team today, and be a LEGEND in the SPL!!  Get Dunc involved if you want to go up!

I watched the first half before switching over. I honestly think the standard of football played in our play off final by both us and Guiseley was much better. Duncan I think will need a L1/Championship club next season for his next loan move

Jimmy

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 12:02:56 AM »

It was probably better on the eye however the standard won't be anywhere near as good just like alty v guiseley be a better watch than palace v west ham even for a neutral

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 10:37:37 AM »

It was probably better on the eye however the standard won't be anywhere near as good just like alty v guiseley be a better watch than palace v west ham even for a neutral

I would have thought that as well but I remember a Hibs fan who was in the Scottish stag do group that came to our game against Grimsby in 2010 telling me that based on what he saw that day, that there was not too much difference between the SPL & The Conference in terms of standard.

I have only seen one game in the SPL since then (Hibs 0 St Johnstone 0 in November 2010) but based on that, I don't think that he was far off the mark, perhaps with the obvious exception of Celtic.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 No Watmore?