Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 And you thought that last Saturday's referee caused some kit confusion......

Author Topic: And you thought that last Saturday's referee caused some kit confusion......  (Read 4243 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

From The Times website today:

Farce as wrong underwear sparks six red cards  

Referees at all levels are used to being criticised for decisions but the official in charge of an FA Youth Cup match which descended into farce after a row about underwear on Monday night could be accused of being ‘pants’.

Controversy was sparked in the game between Newport County and Bath City when two Bath players were told to leave the field and change because the colour of their lycra shorts did not match that of their strip. Bath were at a numerical disadvantage when Newport scored the opening goal, infuriating the visitors who had five players and their manager being dismissed at Spytty Park, with Newport running out 6-0 winners.

The FA’s rule four states that underwear has to be the same colour as shorts and the two Bath players were in breach with white cycling shorts visible beneath a black strip.

Only one player had managed to return to the field after the wardrobe change when Newport opened the scoring which prompted Billy Clark, the Bath youth manager, to confront the referee. He was sent off for dissent and was joined by the player waiting to return and another substitute.

Later on in the match two Bath players were dismissed – one for two bookable offences and one for a straight red – while the goalkeeper was given a red card after the final whistle.

After the game the referee, who the FA would not name, locked himself in his dressing room fearing for his safety.

Bath, whose side were all 16 or 17, are now taking advice from the Somerset FA over whether they have any grounds for appeal but the match left a sour taste with Manda Rigby, the Bath chairman.

“This was the biggest game in some of these players’ lives,” she said. “They’re in the academy for two years so they only get two shots at the youth cup.

“The ref was forced to lock himself in his room after the game for 30 minutes. Their were a lot of parents in the crowd who were very protective of the players and tempers were running high.

“I’m not being biased but a lot of Newport fans came up to me and said what a shame it was that the game had been spoiled a six red-card game and there wasn’t six goals difference between the sides. We were playing quite well. I spoke to the referee after the game and he didn’t feel he’d done anything incorrect.”

I do hope that George Heslop is on top of the Youth Team underwear situation at Moss Lane.....
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

The Laws of the game very clearly state that cycling shorts must be the same as the predominant colour of the kit shorts so really Bath haven't much of a case on that basis.

However, in competitions such as the FA Youth Cup this should / would have been noticed during the "kit and jewellery" check before the teams even came out and remedial action should / could have been taken prior to kick off hence avoiding the subsequent problems entirely.

Several serious 'Peakes' for the match officials there methinks!

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

The Laws of the game very clearly state that cycling shorts must be the same as the predominant colour of the kit shorts so really Bath haven't much of a case on that basis.

However, in competitions such as the FA Youth Cup this should / would have been noticed during the "kit and jewellery" check before the teams even came out and remedial action should / could have been taken prior to kick off hence avoiding the subsequent problems entirely. Several serious 'Peakes' for the match officials there methinks!

I do agree with ATS that the referee appears to have acted within the Laws of The Game at Newport and Bath should really be hauled before the FA to explain their actions and conduct.

Forgive me if I've missed something but would the same 'kit and jewellery' check not have been made last Saturday against Nuneaton ? In our case the referee was stark raving bonkers to allow both teams to take to the field in similar red shirts ?

Butty

One of them rules of the game, underwear and jewellery, which in proper organised competitions should be adhered to, but in the loacl pub league or junior league isn't really much of an issue.

We were told on my refereeing course that the only reason for the underwear rule is actually for smartness, not distinguishing between kits

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Do refereeing courses cover shirt pulling, pushing in and the back and correct interpretation of the handball rule?

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

However, in competitions such as the FA Youth Cup this should / would have been noticed during the "kit and jewellery" check before the teams even came out and remedial action should / could have been taken prior to kick off hence avoiding the subsequent problems entirely.

Several serious 'Peakes' for the match officials there methinks!

Sounds like a job for Trinny and Suzzanne here ATS  :D

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Do refereeing courses cover shirt pulling, pushing in and the back and correct interpretation of the handball rule?

Indeed they do Ian

Shirt pulling is simple, provided you have an appropriate angle to see it

Pushing in the Back - Or Backing In?  Therein lies a question which has exercised match officials at all levels for some considerable time

Interpretation of Handball is now almost as "interesting" a discussion point as Interpretation of the otherwise quite simple Law 11 (Offside)

However I always say that a Refereeing Course is like a series of Driving Lessons - designed to teach you enough to get through the test/exam at the end. Only after passing same do you learn how to drive/referee and that is where the pushing or backing in and interpretation of handball, offside etc comes in

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Indeed they do Ian

Pushing in the Back - Or Backing In?  Therein lies a question which has exercised match officials at all levels for some considerable time

Interpretation of Handball is now almost as "interesting" a discussion point as Interpretation of the otherwise quite simple Law 11 (Offside)

However I always say that a Refereeing Course is like a series of Driving Lessons - designed to teach you enough to get through the test/exam at the end. Only after passing same do you learn how to drive/referee and that is where the pushing or backing in and interpretation of handball, offside etc comes in

Similiar to driving lessons - apart from the turning bit - We all know "Refs are not for turning (decisions)

Butty

I believe the latest 'interpretation' of the handball rule allows no room for accidental handballs- strictly speaking makes the ref's job much easier as there is no grey area, the only problem is that the players and officials don't know that and still have a pop.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I believe the latest 'interpretation' of the handball rule allows no room for accidental handballs- strictly speaking makes the ref's job much easier as there is no grey area, the only problem is that the players and officials don't know that and still have a pop.

For handball to be an offence it still has to be deliberate (intentional), the only offence under Law 12 that still retains the need for intent so you are right on that one Butty

The interpretation issue relates to the intent issue. You will find, for example, that the ball striking an arm which is in an 'unnatural' position will be classed as intentional, an example being the ball hitting the hand of a defender in the wall defending his face or balls.

Personally I think that the whole interpretation issue, whether relating to handball or offside has become a bit too complex, causing confusion for many

bighairedmike

Re: And you thought that last Saturday's referee caused some kit confusion......
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 07:54:43 PM »

Indeed they do Ian

...a refereeing course is like a series of driving lessons - designed to teach you enough to get through the test/exam at the end. Only after passing do you then make up your own rules of the road/game.

I think that is well and truly corrected for you there...  ;)

RocketDan

Re: And you thought that last Saturday's referee caused some kit confusion......
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 09:19:25 PM »

Never understand why players wear cycling shorts.

I have never worn them, and neither did pele

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 09:27:26 PM »

I don't understand why players wear short sleeved shirts but then out a long sleeved vest underneath
@AltyDaz

Hamilton

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 09:32:11 PM »

I don't understand why players wear short sleeved shirts but then out a long sleeved vest underneath

Its like when women have hair straighteners and curlers!

York Alty

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 09:40:38 PM »

maybe they're cycling to training?
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 And you thought that last Saturday's referee caused some kit confusion......