Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wanted: your memories of Alty 1 v Mossley 5 (1980) and Alty 5 v Mossley 4 (1979)

Author Topic: Wanted: your memories of Alty 1 v Mossley 5 (1980) and Alty 5 v Mossley 4 (1979)  (Read 2135 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Any reminiscences or anecdotes about the following two matches would be most welcome:

(1) Saturday, 23rd February 1980
FA Trophy Third Round

Alty...1  Mossley...5

** Alex Stepney's farewell appearance before returning to Dallas Tornado;

** Alty's only home defeat of the 1979/80 season in all competitions;

** Bob Murphy's non-stop, ultra-fit side (featuring the likes of Leo Skeete; Dave Moore and Ian Smith) runs riot at Moss Lane;

** Graham Barrow nets the Robins' solitary goal after 52 minutes to make the score 1-2;

** Mossley proceed to reach Wembley, where they are defeated by Dagenham.

(2) Monday, 12th March 1979
NPL Cup Semi-Final First Leg

Alty...5  Mossley...4

** One of the greatest Alty comebacks of all time;

** Alty were 4-1 down with 12 minutes of the match remaining;

** Then Stan Allan and Eamonn O'Keefe were sent off for fighting;

** Alty respond with goals from Graham Heathcote (pen) and Jeff Johnson;

** Two injury time headers from Kingy at the Chequers End seal an amazing fightback;

** Do you know anyone who left Moss Lane when the score was 1-4 and then refused to believe that we had won 5-4 in due course?!

As always, all contributions are welcome, no matter how surreal/esoteric they may be!

Please post them under this thread or email them to: towerofsong@btinternet.com

Many thanks, in anticipation.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

York Alty

pain?

joe

** Do you know anyone who left Moss Lane when the score was 1-4 and then refused to believe that we had won 5-4 in due course?!

I think taxiphil may be in this category!

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I think taxiphil may be in this category!

Grass!!
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

taxi Phil

True though. As the fourth Mossley goal went in, I shot out of the ground with a cry of "I've had enough of this sh*t" and went home in time for Fawlty Towers at 9 pm.

It was Nic Seller who knocked on the door just after the show and was greeted with total incredulity !

Not learning from missing four goals and a double dismissal, I did something similar a few years later at Maine Road where I'd acquired one-off seats from a friend, taking my sons home when Arsenal scored in the last ten minutes, only to hear on the car radio halfway down the Parkway that City had scored twice in the last 3 minutes.........

Aussie Bob

did not go to the first one but the 2nd game was the most ridiculous and entertaining game i think i have ever watched. We got flogged every which way by Mossley for most of the game. Stan Allen sent off for fighting (instead of Kingy) ..Heathcoate penalty then when Jeff Johnson  scored Mossley started to crumble and the crowd really started getting involved , then the  2 Kingy headers ....just unreal .. Still burned into my memory that game never seen anything like it since. 
Pretty sure we got caned 5-1 in the second leg mind you ......Why didnt Mossley go into the Alliance premier ? was it finances ? They would have given us a run for our money they were a very good team always gave us problems during that period....

taxi Phil

Mossley's ground wasn't up to APL standards.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Many thanks for those reminiscences submitted to date.

There's still time to post any additional thoughts.....

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wanted: your memories of Alty 1 v Mossley 5 (1980) and Alty 5 v Mossley 4 (1979)