News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Be proud, be strong, be gracious

Author Topic: Be proud, be strong, be gracious  (Read 1520 times)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: April 25, 2008, 11:27:21 AM »

I hear Rotherham may well go bump this weekend as their all the potential bids for the club have fallen through.  I do not want to see them go under, and haev fond memories of the win at Millmoor in 79-80, less fond memories of the draw with Scarborough there in 76-77 and bad memories of the 0-5 the same season (is this the only league ground where we have won, drawn and lost?).

And more generally, if we do finish fourth bottom, I do not want to be "saved" at the AGM and branded as a "cheat" club for benefitting from some other clubs "misfortune" (gross mismanagement more like).

In fact it feels like we have lost a lot of dignity this week in regards to our reaction to Tuesday nights results and our sometimes over sanctimonious attitude towards the rest of the Conference.

And in fact we can't have it both ways - we can't criticise (e.g.) Vics for living beyond their means and then criticising the board for the clubs lack of ambition.

Graham in the SAM said three years of this grind you down, and there are many voices on this forum in recent weeks who are showing strong evidence of having been ground into the dust.  Which of us is not stressed, hurting inside, nauseous, angry, depressed with having to face the last day cliff edge again? And for all of us the emptiness of defeat has far outweighed the rare highs throughout the season.

All the more reason for us to hold our heads high, stop the carping - particualrly on the conference forum - and face our fate with pride.  Whatever hand the fates have dealt us, we have to play it with all our heart.

From 5:15 onwards tomorrow it doesn't matter what Crawley have done, how the referees have conspired against us or how Stevenage have "deliberately thrown away their play off chance to save Vics".  It's all about the guys who pull on the shirt and those (us) who stand behind them.

Don't let our disappointment and frustration overshadow the positive - our strength of feeling for the side.

We can do it - we are not down yet.

louise1925

Re: Be proud, be strong, be gracious
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 11:33:04 AM »

I 100% concur with that. GET TO WEYMOUTH TOMORROW EVERYBODY!

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »

Good post and i agree,lets keep things together and not start in fighting and go out and beat weymouth.I remember all those games at Rotherham myself.
Harold

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 01:02:21 PM »

Well said that Guru man. We are a well supported club (relatively speaking) and in terms of percentages of home fans travelling away may well be second to none, but that does not give us any god-given right to stay in this league or that we are any better than other teams supporters in terms of their passion.

Only one thing matters at this moment and that is EVERYONE being together and behind the lads at Weymouth tomorrow. All differences are irrelevant and mean sh*t and this point in time. After the final whistle, all is up for discussion, but until then........

COME ON ALTY
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Jezza

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 04:05:52 PM »

Terrific post.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team