PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Longest Free Goal EVER?
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Longest Free Goal EVER?  (Read 7471 times)

penfold

Re: Longest Free Goal EVER?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 09:33:47 PM »

One thing that we all agree on is Welch's free kick was over 50 yards out? Well they have normally been fairly reliable Blue Square football reports but this does not do the lad justice, "Altrincham started out the more brightly of the two sides and they were rewarded for their early dominance when a superbly struck free-kick by Michael Welch from 25 yards out gave the home side the lead after 27 minutes". Do you think Evans is behind this, in an attempt to make his side look like they could contain Altrincham.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 09:36:33 PM »

Stan Allen's goal was indeed at bath on Easter saturday 1980.  I missed the game as I was in North wales for the weekend with some mates (I also missed the 1-1 home yeovil game on Easter Monday - the only two games I missed that season).

I was told that stan played a through ball for JR to chase.  He gave up on it, turned to give Stan an earful and turned back to see the ball sail over the keepers head

thegazelle

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 12:30:58 PM »

i recall Barry Ashworth scoring a free kick from just inside his own half

Bear Town Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 01:22:44 PM »

didn't Stuart Coburn score from a free kick in his own half on a really windy day away at Runcorn. It did bounce over the keeper though rather than drop straight in. He also saved a penalty in the same game.

joe

Longest free
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 02:51:57 PM »

Didn't you bother reading the full thread before posting Loggerheads?

bighairedmike

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 10:01:30 PM »

One thing that we all agree on is Welch's free kick was over 50 yards out? Well they have normally been fairly reliable Blue Square football reports but this does not do the lad justice, "Altrincham started out the more brightly of the two sides and they were rewarded for their early dominance when a superbly struck free-kick by Michael Welch from 25 yards out gave the home side the lead after 27 minutes". Do you think Evans is behind this, in an attempt to make his side look like they could contain Altrincham.

I reckon the conversation to BS went something along the lines of this:

Reporter: "First goal, michael welch, 75 yards ish, stunning free kick"
BS man: "Ah right, thanks for that"
Puts phone down
BS man (to himself): "He cant have said 75 surely? Must have been hearing things"

Its the only thing i can think of...

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 11:31:21 PM »

Stan Allen's goal was indeed at bath on Easter saturday 1980.  I missed the game as I was in North wales for the weekend with some mates (I also missed the 1-1 home yeovil game on Easter Monday - the only two games I missed that season).

I was told that stan played a through ball for JR to chase.  He gave up on it, turned to give Stan an earful and turned back to see the ball sail over the keepers head

That sounds about right.The main contributory factors were a ridiculously hard pitch &  the keeper being a bit distracted by an Alty player trying to get on the end of Stan's hopeful punt.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Longest Free Goal EVER?