PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wasted two points
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Wasted two points  (Read 11314 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Wasted two points
« on: November 21, 2007, 03:21:49 AM »

Why the hell do we not start Logan ?. Stick with Senior and Little up front, Joe is rubbish and is one of the worst strikers I've seen at Alty.

starjammer

Re: Wasted two points
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 08:13:27 AM »

Baffles me also. Logan should be starting games without a doubt, and this seems to be the view from the terraces.
also speaking to some who don't normally attend alty games but came to the Millwall game I found them unanimous in singling out Carlos Logan as a player that stood out.
Senior is better playing up front, and O'Neill to me never looks a threat. without a doubt Logan is a real handfull to his marker, whilst O'Neills' marker has him in his pocket from the off - bizarre!  ::)

Daycare Dan

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 08:33:54 AM »

If Logan could consistently deliver final balls into the box then yes he should start. However this is not the case. If we could just graft Pottsy's final ball onto Logan's running we'd have a world beater.

le bignose

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 08:42:25 AM »

does that mean just cos logan doesnt have a final delivery everytime he should be on the bench though?? When all i can see with Joe is that he doesnt have ANYTHING!!!! let a lone a final ball.

I came on the site this morning to fustrate my thoughts that Logan, AGAIN, away from home starts on the bench, but to read the match report he was our main threat. So sorry Daycare dan its no excuse to have a player of his quality on the bench and someone of Joe's (lack of) quality start!! If a player can give you something, not neccessarily all the time, then use it !! His style of play means he wont always get the ball in the box!! And even if he did we aint that style of team with a big forward to win the headers. Fed up of hearing Logan doesnt have the end product!!!

2 points wasted. Wrong team selection AGAIN, an maybe if it wasnt we'd be out of the danger zone. Play your best players

markecky

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 08:44:55 AM »

Any of our experts want to comment on the fact that Logan was struggling for breath after 4 runs down the wing and 20 mins and then hid for the last 15 mins of the match?

le bignose

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 09:05:45 AM »

yep, that wins it then Ecky, Joe starts every game!! Maybe we start with Logan, go at teams 4th from bottom,  and hey maybe get a lead, then play the likes Joe towards the end if players arent fit, being a part time team an all !! Oh sorry thats not right is it, lets keep decent players on the bench. Forgot your the expert on team selection too!!

So you really think Joes the way forward then?? anyone else agree with that???? please god tell me you dont !! never have i seen a player so off the ball and who doesnt do anything for the team!!

le bignose

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 09:08:26 AM »

An the poeple who have wrote Logan was our main threat and danger man must be talking rubbish as well hey!! Or they just dont see the game as you do ??

markecky

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 09:35:51 AM »

I'm not an expert on team selection but if I don't go to the match I can at least read the match report correctly.  Joe O'Neil didn't start last night.

Dear me..stop hammering the keyboard with your face screwed up because it was me who posted it.

Logan is an impact player, good for 20 mins.

He proved it last night when he was, well very good for 20 mins.  Joe O'Neil is an average player very low on confidence, confidence that is being knocked further and further down by shouts and posts on here.

I saw Logan blowing out of his arse after 20 minutes.  That was my point.  Not sure how that is connected to your Joe O'Neil rant.

louise1925

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 09:35:58 AM »

Carlos Logan was our best player last night by a million miles (despite some rather weak assertions to the contrary  can't cross, can't play away from home etc.). However, slagging off Joe post after post is NOT helpful. It is not going to do the lads confidence any good to read such stuff from Alty fans. Perahps we should have won last night. Their keeper was outstanding and despite being down to ten men, they are a pretty decent side WHO WE HAVE GOT TO PLAY AT HOME YET. Not all doom and gloom though it would have been nice psychologically to have got out of the bottom four. A draw at Stevenage anyone?

RedWhiteRedWhite

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 09:36:14 AM »

Whilst i agree that team selection is always going to be a bone of contention...the fact remains, that we are still within touching distance of being out of the relegation zone.

Farsley have a bit of a tough run coming up, and will undoubtedly lose points to the likes of Crawley (who they play twice in the next 5 games) and Torquay.

Losing a striker to a red card is a different 'kettle' altogether, especially when you have a 1-0 lead to defend anyway. I would have assumed that Farsley would have put everyone behind the ball with one up top second half anyway...so in an attacking sense...we still had the same job to do.

Maybe Carlos doesn't have the legs for 90 minutes, and maybe Joe is struggling to find his feet. But...for me the doom-mongers are far to quick to stick the knife in around here...

A draw at Farsley for me is a result i would have taken...as they undoubtedly would have been striving to get clear of us.

So no doom from me...well done on breaking them down in the second half, the team is continuing to show the fight we saw at the beginning of the season at Halifax...and i honestly believe we'll be 20th (or higher) by the turn of the year!

seasonticket

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 09:42:39 AM »

Couple of points to make.
Firstly, Ecky has it spot on as do those who say Carlos was our main threat.
He was the player who looked most likely to win it for us when he first came on BUT he ran out of steam for at least the last 15 or 20 minutes of the game. Had he come on for those last 20 only, then who knows.
As for Joe He tries hard he runs a lot with no end product true but defenders have to mark him unlike some strikers from the past who could be marked out of the game by a dustbin.
The records will show that we got a point away from home at Farsley, there will be nothing to say it was against ten men and a point away is OK if we can beat these teams at home.

Alex

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 09:49:41 AM »

logan is a threat to players in this league that isn't the argument but in truth to anyone who has seen him play away from moss lane he looks a compleatly diffrent player if he starts (i don't know why this is but having seen every game it is the conclusion that i and others and even GH has come to) now farsley last night was a horride pitch because of the constant heavy downpour  that didn't let up (now logan has trouble enough staying on his feet on a dry pitch so most of us joked that on this one he would have no chance) in truth last night joe only looked out of sorts when he was on the wing but oonce he was upfront looked the most likely to score our second with only OUTSTANDING GOALKEEPING / DEFENSIVE HEROICS preventing the ball from crossing the line. last night was just one of those games where you have a million and 1 chances and nothing will go in for you (like aldershot at home last year we dominated them and had loads of shots on target and the game ended 0-0) and considering in the first half with reeves looking like he was going to score every time they played a ball over the top i was not extatic with 1 point but if someone had offered me 4 pts from these two games i would have taken it. the only issue i have with last nights performance was this new tactic of passing it around the back four when breaking up an attack rather than clearing it (the issue i have with this is that if we keep doing it in tight games i will have a heart attack  ;))

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 10:16:05 AM »

Although I did not go I am pleased with a point at least they are now not 5 points away. The important thing was not too loose surely regardless of how we played?

I think Logan is talented  and exciting to watch, but too often his final ball is abismal?

This must frustrate GH no end, Colin and Chris need good service, hence he does not start.

I also believe he is not fit enough to last 90 mins. But he can make an impact.

I feel a point earned last night.

Jacko

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 10:26:45 AM »

ive got to agree about logan as he seems to be producing MOM performances every other game for us,

Obviosly a fustrating player to deal with but ask yourself this if he were to have played every game including the start of the season do you think we would have more or less points?

Alty365

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 10:57:52 AM »

If Logan could consistently deliver final balls into the box then yes he should start. However this is not the case. If we could just graft Pottsy's final ball onto Logan's running we'd have a world beater.

.....who would be far too good to be playing at our level. Players play at this level for a reason and "complete" players play in the Premier/Football League for a reason.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wasted two points