PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Favourite Memories
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Favourite Memories  (Read 8173 times)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite Memories
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 10:59:39 PM »

APL Cup Final was 1st season of the APL.

I remember we played them in the APL Cup in the 3rd season of the league.  We won the 1st leg at Moss Lane 1-0 in the October.  The second leg at Drill Field was in March.  We won 3-1  - this is the only time I have seen us win there.  I then caught the 0027 from Manchester Piccadilly back to London Euston, arriving at 0535. 

What kind of idiot would travel up from London to Northwich for a League Cup match?

Brilliant effort that.Mark Ward scored for Vics.....one of the best free kicks that I have ever seen. On the day Ward made his debut for Alty (a 2-0 win at Chorley on 10.10.98, I think....& definitely Ward's 36th birthday), Graham Heathcote mentioned to him that it was a quite brilliant strike.......Ward couldn't remember it!

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2011, 11:43:10 PM »

my favourite memory from there was when we lost to witton in the cheshire cup final  , great atomsphere  terrible game and at the end the histronics of the unjust refeering and picking up a drunken bezza , then him punching a copper on the nose , and the following benny hill chase as 4 coppers beat him with there truncheons telling him to get on the floor and him replying no its dirty down there.
FFS

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2011, 08:06:11 AM »

I have stood with Dave Ryan on the Golf Road believe it or not.

He was also a pretty good cricketer.

I remember a time back in the mid 80's at the railway end, there were a few houses behind the terrace.
Now funny thing was, that there was always a couple of foot gap between the roofing & the wall at the back of the terrace &
i remember the ball went into one of the gardens , the next thing, a bucket of water came flying through the gap between the roof
& the back wall.

Good old days.

I never forget playing cricket at Hartford one sunday the day after we played Northwich. I had spent the footy match right behind the goal shouting abuse (slob, slob) like everyone at Dave Ryan. On the sunday (playing for Oldfield CC) We were the fielding side, out walked Dave Ryan with the bat much to my total shock. He even recognised me, and afterwards we had a chat about Alty v Nwich rivalry and he said he loved the banter, made him play better he said. He smashed 58 off about 17 balls of the most brutal batting you could see, and he was the opening bat!!! He always seemed to play well against us and he was a very talented sportsman actually.

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2011, 10:04:13 AM »

APL Cup Final was 1st season of the APL.

I remember we played them in the APL Cup in the 3rd season of the league.  We won the 1st leg at Moss Lane 1-0 in the October.  The second leg at Drill Field was in March.  We won 3-1  - this is the only time I have seen us win there.  I then caught the 0027 from Manchester Piccadilly back to London Euston, arriving at 0535. 

What kind of idiot would travel up from London to Northwich for a League Cup match?

I did on a Tuesday night and was royally rewarded, 6-1? or was it 7?
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »

my favourite memory from there was when we lost to witton in the cheshire cup final  , great atomsphere  terrible game and at the end the histronics of the unjust refeering and picking up a drunken bezza , then him punching a copper on the nose , and the following benny hill chase as 4 coppers beat him with there truncheons telling him to get on the floor and him replying no its dirty down there.

I have a picture of him being grappled near the penalty box after running across the pitch!
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2011, 10:27:28 AM »

When we drew their 1-1 in the 'Landon 90' relegation season I recall a streaker emerged from Our end and ran onto the pitch and got back over the advertising hoardings without anyone stopping him. Anyone remember that?

taxi Phil

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2011, 09:35:17 PM »

In 1969, I had the misfortune to be sacked by Renold Chains (found asleep on the night shift), and was petrified of telling my old feller, who was very old school and would have gone ballistic.

I was engaged to Moses' mother at the time, and we decided to take our minds off this disaster by going to a football match. It was a bitterly cold night in February, and choice was extremely limited. Indeed there wasn't ANY choice.

Which was how we came to sit in the main stand at the Drill Field, and contract frostbite while watchibg an absolutely dreadful 0-0 draw between the Green Slime and Morecambe.

The upside of this was to take in the stream of dog's abuse handed out to the hapless Vics players by their "supporters". They had six of David Birch in that stand, and if I had been their centre forward (name eludes me but 14 stone of useless fat !) I'd have been tempted to jump into the stand and sort one or two of them out.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Favourite Memories