News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Video of Colins' penalty

Author Topic: Video of Colins' penalty  (Read 3331 times)

Longman

Video of Colins' penalty
« on: October 18, 2009, 03:27:44 PM »

Jenga

Re: Video of Colins' penalty
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 03:41:55 PM »

mmmm not the best of penalties.

taxi Phil

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 04:29:16 PM »

OK, maybe I should have gone to Specsavers.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 06:23:02 PM »

That could explain why you were struggling to solve The Times crossword clues last weekend....!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

taxi Phil

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 06:59:27 PM »

That could explain why you were struggling to solve The Times crossword clues last weekend....!

One of my mates did actually fail to qualify because he forgot his reading glasses. He's as blind as a bat without them, couldn't properly even check what he'd written, and failed to spot a word he'd written down wrongly.

In my case, it was a total brain shutdown I'm afraid !

NorthernMonkey

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 09:25:30 AM »

What wound me up was the timewasting by their players, and then the ref calling their players over into the penalty box to have a word, further holding up the penalty and not handing out any cards. Speak to them after the penalty, especially if it's to do absolutely nothing.

fuertes

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 09:46:22 AM »

What wound me up was the timewasting by their players, and then the ref calling their players over into the penalty box to have a word, further holding up the penalty and not handing out any cards. Speak to them after the penalty, especially if it's to do absolutely nothing.

Great point. He should have immediately waved tham away and let Col take it, or if he thought he needed to delay the pen he should have booked the Luton players.

It was a bit of a sh*t pen, but in that situation he did the right thing - he didn't fancy it, so he just hit it hard and made sure it was on target. I'm surprised Shaun doesn't fancy penalties, he's good on free kicks. That said, I remeber Col sticking a brilliant free kick in the net from 20 yards last season. Ebbsfleet was it? Perhaps the whole pressure of the spot kick just gets to people.

I have to say, I think the fact everything goes silent puts extra pressure on the taker. I reckon the fans should just carry on singing.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »

As I said during the match, many forwards are instinctive goalscorers rather than players (such as midfielders or defenders) who are thinkers. There has been many clubs where the forwards are the highest scorers from open play, but midfielders & defenders take pens.

In my childhood it was players like Phil Neal at Liverpool & Gordon Hill at Man U for instance.

On Satdee Col had too long to think about the pen (thanks to the ref) whereas so many of his goals are pure scorers instinct. He prob would have scored it if just able to pop the ball on the spot and go for it.

(Yes, I know there are many successful forwards who take pens, but I think this is quite often the case)

NorthernMonkey

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 10:39:54 AM »

I have to say, I think the fact everything goes silent puts extra pressure on the taker. I reckon the fans should just carry on singing.

Yeah, decent shout; tricky one though - everyone wants to help the player out but no idea what the best way to do it is.

As Jennifer's day says, penalties are about a cool head. Whatever the crowd's doing, be they your fans or theirs you need to block them out. Most decent penalty players seem to have a set routine, and either know where they're putting it, or maybe wait for the keeper to make their move. Coolness over technique seems to be the way - some people are lucky enough to have both (eg Matt Le Tissier) which is the ultimate winner.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 01:28:23 AM »

It was a bit of a sh*t pen, but in that situation he did the right thing - he didn't fancy it, so he just hit it hard and made sure it was on target. I'm surprised Shaun doesn't fancy penalties, he's good on free kicks.

This is starting to annoy me a little bit.

Am I the only person in the ground who saw Shaun Densmore run 40 yards to get the ball to take a penalty only for Colin to grab it and wave him away? Open your eyes people.

fuertes

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 08:39:02 AM »

It was a bit of a sh*t pen, but in that situation he did the right thing - he didn't fancy it, so he just hit it hard and made sure it was on target. I'm surprised Shaun doesn't fancy penalties, he's good on free kicks.

This is starting to annoy me a little bit.

Am I the only person in the ground who saw Shaun Densmore run 40 yards to get the ball to take a penalty only for Colin to grab it and wave him away? Open your eyes people.

Sorry mate, I didn't notice that at all.

In that case, I'm sure Col is off them now and Doughty or Densmore will take the next one.

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 12:44:34 PM »

I must admit I thought I saw that as well Gareth. You may recall my post from a couple of months ago questioning why Shaun never gets a look in at taking any free-kicks?!! The same again on Saturday and yet he must be our most successful free-kick taker since Kevin Ellison.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 11:14:16 PM »

It is strange that Sean isn't involved on any of the free kicks. Very strange.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 12:05:53 PM »

I had a very strange but true dream last night:

I dreamt that Alty had been given a pen and the crowd shouted for Col to not take it. GH got so infuriated with the fans telling him what to do he insisted that Col did take the pen which was mish*t wide of the goal.
Needless to say the fans were furious.

The strange thing is I didn't even have any cheese last night!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Video of Colins' penalty