PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Two Questions
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Two Questions  (Read 5121 times)

radcliffe alty

Two Questions
« on: March 20, 2007, 04:19:33 PM »

1.) Why doesn't Robbie take corners? Is it something we could try? Everytime he gets to the bye line he always seems to manage to whip in dangerous, pacy balls into the box (which predicatably no one is on the end of). I do get frustrated with aimless ,lofted, slow corners that rarely pay off (Vics aside). Could we try Robbie whacking some in with pace and see what happens?

2.) I note Accy had free admission last weekend and got about 4k through the gates. I wonder if this is something Alty could try - if not this season then maybe next. Could we afford it? It would need to be planned for a suitable weekend where United or City aren't playing or at home. We added a few hundred on the England ticket scheme for the Weymouth game - I wonder how many we would get in? 2-3k?

I don't expect any answers, I am just a bit bored at work. Something to ponder if you are in the same boat....

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Two Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 04:27:05 PM »

Perhaps we could do the free admission thing for the Aldershot game ... if we've made things safe by then.
It would be a nice way to finish the season with a bang wouldn't it?
Possibly we could do it so that you could pay if you wanted to - then it might not cost as much for the club!

"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 04:30:44 PM »

Perhaps we could do the free admission thing for the Aldershot game ... if we've made things safe by then.
Possibly we could do it so that you could pay if you wanted to - then it might not cost as much for the club!

Reduced admission £5-7 adults under 16 free
@AltyDaz

teasybeaver

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 04:39:47 PM »

1. Only my opinion but robbies pace is needed to balance any counter-attacks. not much good if he's by the flag. You are right though, had those drifting corners for years now and they just drift into the keepers arms normally.

2. Its a dodgy one, id make a pre-season friendly against a big team free, although then the atmosphere wouldnt be the same, so  that might not grab people. i wouldnt do that actually, forget i said it. How about Buy one get one free for adults? Serious, better than half price cos you need 2 to make it work, double the gates! alright maybe a few couples would sneak in and rafo might end up doing proposal announcements at half-time but im sure this would bring in an extra thou at least!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 04:55:48 PM »

Are you saying that's what they're doing - or that's your proposal?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 05:14:05 PM »

Are you saying that's what they're doing - or that's your proposal?

Just a suggestion
@AltyDaz

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 05:27:57 PM »

Haven't we done a free preseason game before ? I may be making it up but I'm sure we have.

I can't see us being able to take the loss of gate receipts for a game. Every bit of money is important and can't see that with the close season coming up and bills needed to be paid that losing out on the money would be beneficial.

IF we could ever have a good up run again and we got some extra money through it then i think I scheme could\should be tried but as it is I just don't see us being able to off set the money.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 05:57:19 PM »

Haven't we done a free preseason game before ? I may be making it up but I'm sure we have.

Gary,

The Alty v Winsford United friendly in August 1995 was free admission.

It was a gesture of thanks to the supporters in the wake of Maunders departing and SAFE being established.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Redmeister

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 11:52:59 AM »

one off £5 admission for adults would double the attendance, still the same income then but more money made on pies and stuff. Simple.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 12:06:11 PM »

Do you really think it would double the attendance (That would mean 2,000 in Moss Lane.
) ? I really can't see that happening but worth a go in the future

I just can't see us taking the chance when we are so near to paying off our debts this season.

If we did this sort of thing I would still pay the £10 though and leave the cheap entrance to 'new fans'

IF this was to be done it would have to get the same coverage as the England offer we did so as to maximise the publicity
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 12:09:20 PM by gazwarrington »

markecky

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 02:01:30 PM »

If I was in charge this would be my plan for Aldershot.

Entrance is by donation, all the money goes to a local kids charity to try and buy a minibus or something. 

People who want to come for cheap can do, rich people can throw £20 or the like. Me personally, I would pay my tenner as usual.

The turnstiles would open at 13:00.  Their would be a beer promotion on from 13:00 - 14:00 to get people in early and spending.  £1 a pint, some sandwiches on sale, that kind of thing.

Their would be a huge raffle (publicised in advance) with some decent prizes.  Half of the raffle money to the club, half to the charity.  The money to the club would cover the costs of the day so we don't make a loss.

The publciity from it "Local football with no money in great gesture to fans and charity" would generate interest.

We could announce what we had made near the end of the game and whether it was enough to the minibus or the like.

I appreciate that we have no money as a club but the goodwill would be enormous from this.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 02:12:59 PM »

great idea mark , a mate of mine came for the first time last night with his 10 year old son , they both really enjoyed it and are coming back.He suggested maybe a  dad paying and letting the son in free.

radcliffe alty

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 02:13:57 PM »

It's an excellent idea, and one that would generate media interest. Could get GMR/North West/Granada interested with afew detailed emails.

It would be a great gesture from the club that is for sure. Could maybe be done at the start of next season, presuming we do manage to start the season debt free. If we are still in the Conference (and I am very confident we will be) it could help to get some interest in the club, get an initial big gate in and maybe allow us to add another 100 to our hardcore fan base for the duration of the season (as we have this season). That would surely pay for any 'loss' incurred from gate receipts.

I'd probably have a season ticket again, but would certainly whack a note into the coffers as well.

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 02:14:25 PM »

2.) I note Accy had free admission last weekend and got about 4k through the gates. I wonder if this is something Alty could try - if not this season then maybe next. Could we afford it? It would need to be planned for a suitable weekend where United or City aren't playing or at home. We added a few hundred on the England ticket scheme for the Weymouth game - I wonder how many we would get in? 2-3k?

I don't expect any answers, I am just a bit bored at work. Something to ponder if you are in the same boat....

Seems like a good idea, anything to try and improve the attendences for next season. It depends on how many of the extra fans would come back (personally i would like such a game against one of the weaker teams - with more chance of a win and good performance - we do have a good record against Aldershot).
Im sure the club could make money back through extra catering, club merchandise, raffles etc.
As stated below this would need to get max exposure to work - radio, newspaper, TV, schools, colleges, universities etc.
It would really be worth having a good look at and seeing what advantages the club can bring in. (increased attendance, better profile within manchester, showing the people of Altrincham that they dont need to go to stretford for decent footy).
Overall something the club should look closely at...... but is there enough time to make all the arrangements for the last game of the season?

Ecky, your idea is good, but depends upon what we are trying to achieve from the day? whether were trying to do something for charity and publicity it would bring. or trying to get the Altrincham FC name back out to local community celebrating the third season back in non-leagues top flight. With the cinema and ice rink there are certainly more competition for entertainment on a saturday afternoon, some type of event should ensure maximim attendance.

markecky

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 02:48:08 PM »

Ecky, your idea is good, but depends upon what we are trying to achieve from the day? whether were trying to do something for charity and publicity it would bring. or trying to get the Altrincham FC name back out to local community celebrating the third season back in non-leagues top flight. With the cinema and ice rink there are certainly more competition for entertainment on a saturday afternoon, some type of event should ensure maximim attendance.

I think it would work on both levels.

You'd get some new people in as it would be cheaper

You'd get some new people in as they may like to watch football and help a charity at the same time.

And the club would look like heroes when they are pictured with the kids etc.

I honestly don't think that charging a fiver would boost the crowd, it would just reduce the money coming in.

I'd also write to all season ticket holders, thanking them for their support and put 5 free tickets in for them to bring family and friends.

Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Two Questions