PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 CSC Cup
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: CSC Cup  (Read 13779 times)

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
Re: CSC Cup
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2021, 02:50:32 PM »

Difference between criticised, questioned and fired though. Frankly even if we went down who would you rather have in charge to get us back up?  See Norwich: went down, stuck with him and bounced straight back. Sacked him this time though but I can’t see how that’s going to help them. Clubs have a natural ceiling and if your manager can keep you at or near it then keep them, sometimes lack of progress is down to something more fundamental than the manager. Both ourselves (until we go full time) and Norwich are in that place at the moment.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2021, 03:19:10 PM »

Difference between criticised, questioned and fired though. Frankly even if we went down who would you rather have in charge to get us back up?  See Norwich: went down, stuck with him and bounced straight back. Sacked him this time though but I can’t see how that’s going to help them. Clubs have a natural ceiling and if your manager can keep you at or near it then keep them, sometimes lack of progress is down to something more fundamental than the manager. Both ourselves (until we go full time) and Norwich are in that place at the moment.

Nobody has said to fire him at this stage. I said some players should go, and if results continue Parky can follow.

We really need something to change, be it tactic, signings or eventually the manager will have to go.

We are a bigger fish at National level, than Norwich are to the premier league.
It's all my fault.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2021, 03:32:33 PM »

Everyone is on here because they love Alty. You are no exception but some of the time your opinions, although you're fully entitled to them, make me start to doubt it.
You seem to be a professional kneejerker.
The points about some of the squad are valid enough but I think Parky is doing the very best he can given our situation and I shudder to think where we'd be if he left.
If we can't find a number nine, where would we find someone to replace him?!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2021, 03:56:53 PM »

That's how we ended up with a dual relegation.

No manager or player should be 'immune' from criticism.

You're right, Sinnott should have gone earlier - but those were different times and I'd like to think we'd never let things get that far out of hand before being decisive. As for the following season, I don't sign up to the 'it could have been saved' nonsense - Neil Young was responsible for the most catastrophic recruitment window we've ever witnessed, before 'doing a Lord Frost' and doing a runner - supposedly retiring from the game! - when he realised how far he'd screwed it.

We come on the forum and question selections week in, week out - hindsight is great - but to suggest there's something wrong in the dressing room when we're coming back from 2 goals down away from home is, in my opinion, well wide of the mark.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2021, 03:59:23 PM »

Everyone is on here because they love Alty. You are no exception but some of the time your opinions, although you're fully entitled to them, make me start to doubt it.
The points about some of the squad are valid enough but I think Parky is doing the very best he can given our situation and I shudder to think where we'd be if he left.

Rob said we had a plan if we lost Parkinson for positive reasons, I'd like to hope we have a plan B.

It's all my fault.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2021, 04:10:17 PM »

I'm not Kneejerk. 1 in 14 is pretty poor going at any level especially with 3 games against sides in the leagues below.

I was pretty level headed on our recent podcast. That was 1 win in 8, its now 1 in 14

We've had huge upheavel in the covid, loan market, and generally poor first half performance. Somethings upset the momentum more than just the ground.
It's all my fault.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2021, 04:59:35 PM »

I'm talking about the comments re the manager really.
Most of the other stuff is not a great deal different from the majority on here if I'm honest
However, it's not long since people were worried about losing PP and were chuffed when he signed up long term.
I believe the biggest problem was not being able to go hybrid at the start of the season. I'd imagine his targets were full timers and that all fell through along with delay in going hybrid but we'll never know will we?
Hence the lack of a decent number nine which is the root of the problem.
There are other factors of course but I think Parky is dealing with the situation as best he can and once we've survived this year, and we will, hybrid will mean we could see the departures you are advocating.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 05:15:45 PM by Saughall Robin »
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2021, 05:30:59 PM »

I'm talking about the comments re the manager really.
Most of the other stuff is not a great deal different from the majority on here if I'm honest
However, it's not long since people were worried about losing PP and were chuffed when he signed up long term.
I believe the biggest problem was not being able to go hybrid at the start of the season. I'd imagine his targets were full timers and that all fell through along with delay in going hybrid but we'll never know will we?
Hence the lack of a decent number nine which is the root of the problem.
There are other factors of course but I think Parky is dealing with the situation as best he can and once we've survived this year, and we will, hybrid will mean we could see the departures you are advocating.

The other factor is, hopefully, the salary cap coming in for next season. I'm sure the may be some out-of-contract sponsorship deals at big clubs but hopefully it'll free up some better players.
It's all my fault.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2021, 12:31:16 AM »

I think it is somewhat knee-jerk to even think about Parkie's position.

We are the best semi-pro team in the country and, despite a recent poor run of results, are in a reasonable mid table position.

Indeed, we cannot find a No9, but it is somewhat difficult to find a decent No9 within our pay scale as a good striker is likely to be the one wanting the most readies!

However, what impressed me with the loss to Notts County was a change in formation, Man Cityesque, which looked to me like we were not trying to play a No9 for the sake of it, but having a false 9. It was innovative for Parkie and sounded good.

AND....could we get anyone better?

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2021, 07:09:08 AM »

AND....could we get anyone better?

That is the question anybody who wants a manager sacked needs to ask.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2021, 10:22:27 AM »

With the exception of Southend (who were a league club last season of course) - could you look at any of the last 12 fixtures and label it a 'surprise defeat'? We've picked up points at places we didn't last season, like Yeovil Aldershot and Chesterfield.

We're competitive and not being clinical enough, I bet half the teams up and down the country say that every weekend. We're sat in 12th place, a part-time team in a predominantly full-time league, we're 10 points clear of the drop, we're miles better than the bottom four sides in this league and Parky is picking up his battle scars along the way which will continue to stand him in good stead as he learns.

To even suggest that we might consider letting him go soon is utterly ridiculous, like Sean Dyche at Burnley - unless he's very clearly lost the dressing room and the team have given up on the pitch like the double relegation era - I'd even say he's earned a shot at taking us down and bringing us back up - and that won't even happen this season. He'll be all the stronger for it in the close season, regardless of where we finish, when he gets the chance to shape our squad again.

It's probably important we have all our saleable assets on contract and negotiate good sell-on % - the way Alistair Smith is going at the moment makes me think we could eventually be in line for a little windfall there.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2021, 11:19:12 PM »

It's worth bearing in mind that, as John Laidlar noted I his site, we have only lost one game this season by more than a single goal (Halifax away, 2-0). Bad teams at our level take a hiding on a regular basis - we are NOT a bad team, but there are a few adjustments needed. Apart from the elephant in the room wearing a number 9 shirt, we still concede too many free kicks in dangerous positions, and too many far post goals from corners. We're not a million miles away from being successful. We've come a long way in a comparatively short time. It's all fixable. Patience is, as ever, a virtue.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2021, 11:43:11 PM »

It's worth bearing in mind that, as John Laidlar noted I his site, we have only lost one game this season by more than a single goal (Halifax away, 2-0). Bad teams at our level take a hiding on a regular basis - we are NOT a bad team, but there are a few adjustments needed. Apart from the elephant in the room wearing a number 9 shirt, we still concede too many free kicks in dangerous positions, and too many far post goals from corners. We're not a million miles away from being successful. We've come a long way in a comparatively short time. It's all fixable. Patience is, as ever, a virtue.

I know we might have had 1 or 2 more portly No9s, but.....

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2021, 09:15:47 AM »

Would you be referring to one Mr Tunnacliffe?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 CSC Cup