News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Southampton to join the Conference?

Author Topic: Southampton to join the Conference?  (Read 2098 times)

stevio

« on: April 26, 2009, 07:38:09 PM »

Already, effectively relegated to League One, after last week's 10 point deduction for their parent company, Southampton Leisure Holdings, going into administration, Southampton are now in danger of collapsing altogether this summer, unless a saviour can be found between now and the end of the season. Administrator Mark Fry said earlier this month: "We now have a short window between now until the end of the season. If we don't find a buyer for the club there is a very, very high probability that it will not last until the end of the season." If the club were to then reform, FA rules state that they would have to start afresh a minimum of two divisions down the Pyramid-and the Conference are alredy being asked questions. Conference Chairman Brian Lee said: "It would be very unprofessional of me to say we would be delighted to have Southampton in our competition, but i can tell you somebody has asked the question. That person i must stress is unconnected with the football club, but it has been suggested they may go to the wall. This person, which it would be unfair of me to name, was talking about them forming a new club. Southampton wouldn't have to go to the bottom of the pile like they used to. It is a case of being sensible about it, not to panic anyone, but we would have to look at it-all the football authorities would have to look at it. It is not a normal case. We haven't actually been officially approached as such, but the question has been asked." Interstingly, Southampton have attracted an average home attendance of over 17,000 this season, in their 30,000 all-seater stadium.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Southampton to join the Conference?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 07:43:11 PM »

I think that's a straw for Chester to cling to rather than anything within the realms of probability. Having said that, it would be a great day out to their ground ... Even I'd save some of my pension up for that one!  :D

Plus the fact I'd miss the chance to get the bus to an away game just down the road!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 07:52:23 PM »

I think that's a straw for Chester to cling to rather than anything within the realms of probability. Having said that, it would be a great day out to their ground ... Even I'd save some of my pension up for that one!  :D

Plus the fact I'd miss the chance to get the bus to an away game just down the road!

prefer chester personally

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 08:16:48 PM »

Watch the Goalposts move !!!
Just like they did with West Ham a couple of years ago with the Argentine players scandal.
Somehow Southampton will survive and play in League one. Under their current fianacial situation I doubt they meet BSP rules, but there again neither do Oxford with their 3 sided ground.
Personally I would prefer Saints to Chester. Also can you imagine a possible Derby match for them next season against Eastleigh - or they could even groundshare ;D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 08:19:27 PM by RedhillAlty »

crossie

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 08:38:05 PM »

prefer chester personally
[/quote]

Same! Chester will be a good day out, hopefully 300 + alty fans there. Likewise when they come to Moss Lane they should bring as many as Wrexham did, depending on how they are doing and what time of year we play them. Overall, another local game so it is not going to cost the earth to go to!
Personally I dont want Southampton in the league, there attitude would be abismal, constantly saying "we should be beating teams like that"; Setanta would have a field day, they would be on the TV every other game, so to will Luton and Oxford! Also bit of a costly trip, we play too many teams south of Brum, so would also make our financial situation worse off!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 10:30:56 AM »

Fantastic, one of the best replies I've ever read. f**k me! :-S

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:58:45 AM »

I would wager Southampton's away following is bigger than Chester's home crowd!

York Alty

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 11:17:53 PM »

it'll never happen.  If Soton do collapse there will be a bending of the rules and magically Soton 2009 FC will be born.  In Division one.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team