PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 the end for boro
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: the end for boro  (Read 4154 times)

Alex

the end for boro
« on: April 11, 2007, 11:04:14 PM »

from main site

Sad news about our old Northern Premier League and Conference rivals comes from Scarborough Today. "The 128 year-old Scarborough Football Club is expected to fold within four to six weeks. Boro have been served with a winding-up order which effectively spells the end for the club although it will be allowed to complete its fixtures this season. Administrators now say there is no hope of a rescue and Boro's final game will be away to Hucknall Town on April 28. The administrators, Begbies Taylor [of Crawley Town fame], are already preparing to sell the McCain Stadium with the proceeds being used to pay off the club's debts which have risen to £2.1 million. A winding up petition will be presented to the High Court of Justice, Chancery Division, Leeds District Registry, possibly before the end of the week. A High Court judge will then set a date and a venue for the hearing of the petition to take place. The administrators expect the judge to grant the petition in four to six weeks which means the end for Boro. Boro chairman Ian Scobbie says he will continue to fight to find a solution, but the administrators say it is impossible for the club to survive. The administrators say the club collapsed because it was unable to meet the terms of the current creditors voluntary agreement (CVA) despite two extensions. Boro had hoped to escape their financial crisis by selling the McCain Stadium for housing and moving to a new ground on the outskirts of Eastfield. However, despite talks involving Persimmon Homes, Caddick Developments and Scarborough Council it has not been possible to cement a rescue package in time. Boro's final match at the McCain Stadium will be against Leigh RMI a week on Saturday".

feel sorry for the fans. hope they can start some sort of fans team alla AFC wimbledon.

Daycare Dan

Re: the end for boro
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 11:08:27 PM »

It's the fans that always get the rough end of deals like this. Just goes to show how well we have done as a club over the past few years. The problem for the fans is can they get a new side stated in time to compete in a league of any kind next season?

Alex

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 11:12:30 PM »

if they get moving now they should be able to. only took fcum a few months to get a squad together, and with all the press this is probably getting in boro i would expect they could put a team together

Daycare Dan

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 11:14:24 PM »

Thing is when will people in charge of other clubs take note of what is happening at places like Boro and realise you can't run a football club at this level the way they have?

NauticaPete

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 12:19:22 AM »

Very sad news...Imagine how we would feel?
Got to feel sorry for them.
Hope they can find a solution. Maybe play at Whitby next season? Fish & chips are nice there!

teasybeaver

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 08:50:58 AM »

Absolutely gutted for them. Their misfortune was a horrible way to stay up, but a gift none the less. I know they are in short responsible for their own demise but it makes me sick to see a club like scarborough doing everything they can to escape the mess in the correct way and failing.

Crawley and their owners are sitting back and laughing because they cheated the system! scum!

This could easily have been us a few years ago, Im gutted for everyone involved with Scarborough, good luck!

bighairedmike

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 09:01:03 AM »

from main site

Sad news about our old Northern Premier League and Conference rivals comes from Scarborough Today. "The 128 year-old Scarborough Football Club is expected to fold within four to six weeks. Boro have been served with a winding-up order which effectively spells the end for the club although it will be allowed to complete its fixtures this season. Administrators now say there is no hope of a rescue and Boro's final game will be away to Hucknall Town on April 28. The administrators, Begbies Taylor [of Crawley Town fame], are already preparing to sell the McCain Stadium with the proceeds being used to pay off the club's debts which have risen to £2.1 million. A winding up petition will be presented to the High Court of Justice, Chancery Division, Leeds District Registry, possibly before the end of the week. A High Court judge will then set a date and a venue for the hearing of the petition to take place. The administrators expect the judge to grant the petition in four to six weeks which means the end for Boro. Boro chairman Ian Scobbie says he will continue to fight to find a solution, but the administrators say it is impossible for the club to survive. The administrators say the club collapsed because it was unable to meet the terms of the current creditors voluntary agreement (CVA) despite two extensions. Boro had hoped to escape their financial crisis by selling the McCain Stadium for housing and moving to a new ground on the outskirts of Eastfield. However, despite talks involving Persimmon Homes, Caddick Developments and Scarborough Council it has not been possible to cement a rescue package in time. Boro's final match at the McCain Stadium will be against Leigh RMI a week on Saturday".

feel sorry for the fans. hope they can start some sort of fans team alla AFC wimbledon.

theres a surprise ::)

markecky

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 09:27:36 AM »

I too really feel for them.  Imagine if someone said thats it...its all over.  The ground is going next week and there is nowt you can about it.

I still remember the feeling on the last day at 17:30  before Maunders was due to close Alty when the deadline was 18:00. 

And then Wes rang me to say he heard a deal had been done and we may be OK.

Altysmiffy

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 11:00:26 AM »

If I were a Scarboro fan, I'd be heartbroken.

Lets hope they can do a Telford and set up a new club at a lower level. And when they do I would love to see us play a friendly there.

Jezza

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 11:25:13 AM »

This is terrible news even though it's been coming a long time.

Congratulations to John Moules for his part in Scarboro's demise..

Alty have had memorable clashes with scarboro and now like Runcorn these seem not to be repeated.

I can't believe with the scrap for land housing stock the council cannot assist to broker a last minute deal to save Boro..especially as a ground share with Whitby should do Scarboro while a new ground is built.
It's ridiculous they are going under for £2m and once they are dead they'll sell the ground for £2m.

teasybeaver

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 11:40:41 AM »

If I remember correctly its right on the front or close, its got to be prime land for apartments etc, 2 million seems a snip, even in Scarborough, cant believe that no developers have snapped it up!

Remember after the Maunders saga somebody told my dad that there had always been an 11th hour plan but they wanted to see if someone came in with a good offer. Bollocks! It certainly didnt seem like that at the time, almost upsets me thinking about what we would have lost.

Im not entirely sure it really sank in at the time, I was pretty young, but now I just cant believe a council can let this kind of thing happen to the town. Surely Scarborough will lose an awful lo of money by not having a football team, potentially in the conference or league!

Ashley Alty

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 11:58:54 AM »

It might not be all over yet - keep watching for info.   ;)

Altysmiffy

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 01:56:52 PM »

I wonder why it is that many local authorities don't seem to give a damn about thier local football team?

Red N White Dynamite

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 02:41:01 PM »

Alty have had memorable clashes with scarboro and now like Runcorn these seem not to be repeated.

If the Conference ever get their way we'll renew these acquaintances again soon in the North West Counties League.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 04:14:34 PM »

Now, call me an old cynic if you want to, but I don't recall many Scarborough supporters weeping for Alty when their club failed to pay us the £11,000 (?) owed on the Paul Ellender transfer.
And, my God, did we need that money at the time!

Yes, it's sad to see Scarborough collapse, especially for the genuine long-standing supporters, but how can they have gone from hosting Chelsea in the FA Cup only three years ago (for which they received money from Sky and also funds from The Sun to sponsor their shirts) to this debt-ridden mess?   

I'm afraid that the Non-League scene may need a few more high profile casualties like Scarborough in order to restore some perspective and common sense regarding going full-time etc.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 the end for boro