PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Another victory squandered
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Another victory squandered  (Read 8949 times)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Another victory squandered
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 07:32:19 PM »

(cookies make us favourites) doesn't mean jack as they have not watched us for nearly 20 years. Think I know more about Alty than the bookies. Sorry rant over just want people to lower their expectations of the team cheers

Why on earth should we lower the exppectations of the team? Would we have to lower it if we got relegated into the Unibond too?

We've got players who were in the conference last season, larger crowds than 90% of the league and a competitive budgget. If you're happy to fanny around in this league then fair enough but this isn't good enough, you need to get real mate.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 07:44:31 PM »

(cookies make us favourites) doesn't mean jack as they have not watched us for nearly 20 years. Think I know more about Alty than the bookies. Sorry rant over just want people to lower their expectations of the team cheers

Why on earth should we lower the exppectations of the team? Would we have to lower it if we got relegated into the Unibond too?

We've got players who were in the conference last season, larger crowds than 90% of the league and a competitive budgget. If you're happy to fanny around in this league then fair enough but this isn't good enough, you need to get real mate.

Hear Hear

VofD

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 08:28:40 PM »

Hear Hear

Totally agree Ballers >:( >:( >:(

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 08:49:15 PM »

Hear Hear

Totally agree Ballers >:( >:( >:(

I agree so much with this we should never lower our goals, beliefs or expectations if we do we have failed

I have only missed 1 game so far and i am gutted with the start we have had

Today was another bitter pill to swallow

At times we play fantastic football then we switch off and press the self destruct button
Come on you red and white........

York Alty

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 09:02:36 PM »

i thought we did really well today.  Who else would score two with such little possession!

i saw a couple of pre-season games but today was my first league game of the season and i was very disappointed.

on a positive note I agree that when we have the ball we looked good - we will score goals for sure. 

We need to do some things much better...We need to keep win the ball and KEEP the bloody thing.  I saw far too much of Stuart taking kicks up-field, they collect at the back and start the pressure over again.  Our midfield was poor, the defence looked light-weight and those two factors compounded upon themselves.

Still, I remain fully confident that Lee will build a great Moss Lane team over the next couple of years.

RobertONeill

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 09:23:06 PM »

I think that we should have tightened up after the first two goals until half time come and I would like to see Astley and Simon play more.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 09:24:39 PM »

We should have put that truck in front of goal
@AltyDaz

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 09:36:56 PM »

I agree so much with this we should never lower our goals, beliefs or expectations if we do we have failed

Nobody wants to be "fannying around" in this league indefinitely.  The goal should always be promotion back to the BSP and noone should lower that as an aim, but some of the talk on here before a ball was kicked in this league was how we were going to waltz away with it with absolutely no problem. Yes, we have players who competed in the BSP last season, but look where we finished. Being a big club in the league you're in doesn't give you any divine right to anything. Talk of "pub league" and "tinpot" teams did nothing for our ambition, if anything quite possibly the opposite, a perfect way to spur the opposition (if they needed any further reason). We were always going to be the 'big' team that others wanted to take down a peg or three

I am increasingly intrigued by our competitive budget. Just how much do we have left in reserve? That statement was made before the signing of existing players and new players alike and I'm not so sure if we have much left.......I do hope I'm wrong about that.

We all want the same thing, to be back in the BSP, but we are where we are on merit (unfortunately). I was never going to be suprised if it took us more than one season to achieve our aim, maybe that makes me a glass half full man, but it does not lessen my desire to be back at national level.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 11:57:30 PM »

To be fair to Guiseley they were the best side we've played this season and thoroughly deserved atleast a point. Our first eleven isn't too bad what's left over on the bench is dross and we need it sortin,but it's easier said than done. I've seen more meat on a butchers pencil than Summerskill and Mulholland is Steve Pennington with pace. They're both only young and may have potential but they aren't the answer this season. I'm not just singleing those two but i don't want to drone on all night because i'm actually quite happy with a point today against a decent side.

Spot on.

Guiseley's passing and movement were streets ahead of ours.

In the pre-season Q & A session with our management team in the Noel White Suite, I recall Neil Tolson's repeated assertions that we would be the team playing football amidst an apparent league of hoofball merchants.

That claim is looking rather hollow and inaccurate just now, as I've witnessed Vauxhall Motors; his former club, Hyde and Guiseley all play better stuff than us.    

Pleased to escape with a draw today, to be honest.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 12:01:41 AM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 09:27:40 AM »

I have never seen Alty play the ball on the ground so much in 18 years of supporting Alty

I really don't want to sound rude, but don't talk ridiculous - there are enough people on here doing that at the moment.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Thomas H

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2011, 09:42:02 AM »

Did not see the Guis game but have seen most others. But at Hyde, I thought were better all over the park apart from a nervous fu ll back who will get better through out the coarse of the season unlike some of ours who will not ( having seen them last year).

Without changes now I fear we will be about the 45- 50 points mark end of season. We have played 6 games and already only Histon were inferior and their manager summed us up really well.

Very disappointed!

roytonmike

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2011, 10:05:31 AM »

Nobody wants to be "fannying around" in this league indefinitely.  The goal should always be promotion back to the BSP and noone should lower that as an aim, but some of the talk on here before a ball was kicked in this league was how we were going to waltz away with it with absolutely no problem. Yes, we have players who competed in the BSP last season, but look where we finished. Being a big club in the league you're in doesn't give you any divine right to anything. Talk of "pub league" and "tinpot" teams did nothing for our ambition, if anything quite possibly the opposite, a perfect way to spur the opposition (if they needed any further reason). We were always going to be the 'big' team that others wanted to take down a peg or three
I am increasingly intrigued by our competitive budget. Just how much do we have left in reserve? That statement was made before the signing of existing players and new players alike and I'm not so sure if we have much left.......I do hope I'm wrong about that.
We all want the same thing, to be back in the BSP, but we are where we are on merit (unfortunately). I was never going to be surprised if it took us more than one season to achieve our aim, maybe that makes me a glass half full man, but it does not lessen my desire to be back at national level.
Totally agree with this analysis of the position. I fear you're not wrong about the budget and I agree that getting back into the top division was always likely to take time - something which those with limited knowledge or experience of the level we are now at clearly did not appreciate. I hope people will now get more realistic.

bighairedmike

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2011, 10:23:41 AM »

I'm sure they are a good side but to give away a 2 goal lead twice in a week is scandelous. 6 points from 6 games is not good enough, it it wouldn't be a decent start in the bsp, never mind the bsn.Gloucester is not going to be easy either

If we got 6 points from the first 6 games of last season in the BSP we would still be there.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. I am confident that we will be there or there abouts come next april. After saturday I said our final ball needed to improve and we needed someone to stick the ball in the net. 2 good deliveries yesterday and 2 goals. We just need to do it on a consistent basis.

Personally I dont rate Jones at all. I think he looks shaky and only wants to hoof the ball as far as he can away from the goal. I'd like to see a CB combination of Lees and Flynn when he's back.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2011, 10:29:10 AM »

I wish someone would have a word with Jones and Coburn. Every single time they hoofed the ball up we lost it straight away. The FBs were often asking Coburn for the ball, but he just kept kicking it long. It's maddening.

Jezza

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2011, 10:52:02 AM »

Did people really expect we'd be on 18 from 18 points? 16 from 18?......having only seen the friendlies but reading the reports of matches we have actually not been far away from that tally with a team still gelling against hardened savy BSN opponents who see us as a scalp.....a few wins on the bounce and the confidence will eliminate the shaky defence leaking goals.....from what i've heard we should have murdered harrogate, should have won yesterday, matched hyde etc.

I'm sure the manager will be taking steps to cut out the errors, we are at least scoring goals and from the vids and the friendlies we have quite a lot of creativity and if we can get stronger as a defensive unit but maintain the attack then we will go on a run.......imagine if we weren't scoring or creating anything....I have faith in the management...they know this level and everything looked good pre season....obviously just needs a tweak....

A realistic aim this season is play offs and then anything can happen...I'd honestly be happy with being in contention all season and a top 10 finish.....then next season I'd be looking at being favourites for promotion....
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Another victory squandered