PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 How can this be allowed ?
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How can this be allowed ?  (Read 11747 times)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« on: January 17, 2007, 09:52:50 AM »

The Crawley Argus reports that debt-ridden Crawley Town have, nevertheless, signed yet another player

FULL STORY at www.altrinchamfc.com

I think some rules need to be bought in to stop things like this.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: How can this be allowed ?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 10:00:49 AM »

I think you'll find there are sufficient rules in place if FGR finish fourth bottom with Crawley above them  ;)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Jacko

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 05:53:49 PM »

Apperantly they can sign any non-contract players :(

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 05:56:03 PM »

and increase the wage budget.

basically they are saying we'll pay more to get out of debt. Surely thats a wrong thing to do ?

They should have to decrease the running costs of the club NOT increase it.

ChrisVessey CUFC

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 06:23:56 PM »

What do you suggest then Gaz?

I think Crawley have suffered enough with the points deduction, administration, being run by complete muppets, starting the season with only three players and much much more, without people insinuating they shouldnt be allowed to sign players. They are battling against all odds as it is, and doing it very, very admirably.

Neither of us know nothing about their wage bill, or whether Richardson is just being paid expenses.

I see your point to an extent, but i cannot see how you could stop them signing a player who is a free agent.

Altysmiffy

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 06:24:30 PM »

They should be treated the same way as Scarborough.

ChrisVessey CUFC

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 06:48:50 PM »

Which is?

Altysmiffy

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 10:10:57 PM »

If they cannot maintain sustainable finances for the club they should be put in a league where they can.

ChrisVessey CUFC

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 11:53:46 PM »

If that were the case half the football league teams would be shafted down to the Ryman and Unibond Leagues.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 12:10:18 AM »

What is galling about Crawley is that, despite their financial meltdown, they still seem able to sign big-name players from other Conference sides/League football. These guys must be getting good wages, but where on earth is that money coming from? Crawley is a financial blackhole and if I were one of their creditors I would be livid to see them splashing out on new players instead of paying off their debts. And even more livid that no-one in the footballing authorities is stopping them doing it.

ChrisVessey CUFC

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 12:48:13 AM »

What is galling about Crawley is that, despite their financial meltdown, they still seem able to sign big-name players from other Conference sides/League football. These guys must be getting good wages, but where on earth is that money coming from? Crawley is a financial blackhole and if I were one of their creditors I would be livid to see them splashing out on new players instead of paying off their debts.

'Big-name players'? I would hardly call Marcus Richardson and Sean Ridgway big-name players, Richardson is a journeyman striker who's had 12 clubs and he is only 29, whilst Ridgway is a baby at 20. I doubt many of them are getting good wages, theyre probably on 'non-contract' terms which is basically expenses.

'And even more livid that no-one in the footballing authorities is stopping them doing it.'

Dont you think the 10 point deduction was enough? What do you suggest then, deduct even more points for having the gall to sign a couple of players on non contract terms?

AltySmiffy reckons they should be put in a league in which they can function as a financially successful club? Well Smiffy, if that were the case nearly every club in the Football League and Conference would have to be relegated (last reports i read showed 75% of FL clubs run at a loss), and that would be a bit farcical wouldn't it?

Crawley have had their problems, mainly down to dodgy owners and financial mismanagement, and they were duly punished with administration and a ten point deduction. They had a summer of uncertainty in which 23 players of their squad didnt turn up for pre-season. Not many thought they could make a fist of it, but the club as a whole has regrouped, fans working day and night as volunteers to ensure the club fight on to survive that little bit longer, in the hope they can get shut of those T**ts the Majeeds. They deserve their chance to put it right. Im trying my hardest not to come up with the old 'look what the fans and teams of the Conference did for you last year....' which im sure you've heard before.. but for you to try and kick them while they are down is a little harsh.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 02:33:30 AM »

For me attitudes towards Crawley are dictated by the fact that they are doing much better than they should. With all the crap they have put up with this season; mainly youth players on the bench/covering for injuries, losing their manager who was doing a decent job, continuing without a manager for the indefinite future and so on. Many teams faced with those issues, as well as being given a ten point deduction, would be bottom without a hope. However in actuality they are doing pretty well and are effectively a mid-table side, it is this apparent over achievement that has led people to question how they are being treated. I would imagine that if they were marooned at the bottom many would be ready with sympathy for Crawley's plight.

IMO Crawley are in the situation they are in despite the way their case has been handled by the authorities rather than because of it. Let's not forget that if the FA had done their job properly then under the 'fit and proper persons test' the Majeeds would never have been allowed to get involved in any case.

As for the administration issue, Crawley are probably being allowed to continue to operate without the constraints of a transfer embargo because the creditors recognise that their best chance of receiving the greatest amount of money is for Crawley to stay in the Conference. This is most likely to be achieved by allowing Crawley to act like a normal football club.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 02:36:06 AM by Jimmy Hill »
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 03:29:05 AM »

Well Crawley are still bringing new players in (paying them too id expect) which means the level of debt increases not decreases. How can a club with no money decent enough players on crowds of 1105. We know how hard it is with the same sort of attendances, and seem to be a lot better organised. Until the conference does something about financing clubs, then this will still happen.

Crawley also seem to have been given more and more time by the CVA deadlines pass and nothing really happens. Best waiting to see what Mr Peake will do at the end of season gathering.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 09:33:46 AM »

My perception, and I may be wrong, is that Crawley have been doing rather more than picking up the odd offcut from other club's squads. A number of times this season, they've signed players from League clubs or players where there has been competition for their signature from other Conference clubs. In these cases, I would suspect the players will be on rather more than expenses.

Nobody apart from you has mentioned a further point deduction, have they? That's not the point at all. What I would like to see is a situation in which  football clubs sign players because they can afford to, rather than because they can just add the money to a vast pile of debt they're never going to pay. That just seems plain wrong to me. And don't you think that allowing Crawley to continue in this way is actually embedding the Majeeds in the club rather than forcing them out?

I have huge sympathy with Crawley fans - I signed the petition that was created against the Majeeds last year. Our problems last season were not financial of course, but would Alty fans really be returning support by saying that the present situation at Crawley is fine? Didn't many Crawley fans want it to go into administration just so that the Majeeds could be wrenched out? Are you sure that Crawley fans are as happy with the Conference and FA's laissez-faire attitude as you are?

If all they were doing was putting a scratch squad together and competing well, that would clearly be admirable. But my perception is that their playing staff bears no relation to the club's ability to afford it because the club no longer operates in financial reality.

'Big-name players'? I would hardly call Marcus Richardson and Sean Ridgway big-name players, Richardson is a journeyman striker who's had 12 clubs and he is only 29, whilst Ridgway is a baby at 20. I doubt many of them are getting good wages, theyre probably on 'non-contract' terms which is basically expenses.

'And even more livid that no-one in the footballing authorities is stopping them doing it.'

Dont you think the 10 point deduction was enough? What do you suggest then, deduct even more points for having the gall to sign a couple of players on non contract terms?

AltySmiffy reckons they should be put in a league in which they can function as a financially successful club? Well Smiffy, if that were the case nearly every club in the Football League and Conference would have to be relegated (last reports i read showed 75% of FL clubs run at a loss), and that would be a bit farcical wouldn't it?

Crawley have had their problems, mainly down to dodgy owners and financial mismanagement, and they were duly punished with administration and a ten point deduction. They had a summer of uncertainty in which 23 players of their squad didnt turn up for pre-season. Not many thought they could make a fist of it, but the club as a whole has regrouped, fans working day and night as volunteers to ensure the club fight on to survive that little bit longer, in the hope they can get shut of those T**ts the Majeeds. They deserve their chance to put it right. Im trying my hardest not to come up with the old 'look what the fans and teams of the Conference did for you last year....' which im sure you've heard before.. but for you to try and kick them while they are down is a little harsh.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 09:51:20 AM »

duly punished with administration and a ten point deduction.

Depends if thats punishment ?  If you can wipe off your debts (or freeze them) and still sign players of an ability better than those around you who can not afford them because they are being run correctly.

Seems unfairt that you can bring players in when you're in a financial mess. Bit like if I owned a company that was struggling and could not pay the bank or any of its owners and then phoned them all up and said "Can you lend me more money to get some more people in"

They are still at an unfair advantage in my opinion.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team