PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty Superstitions
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Alty Superstitions  (Read 8854 times)

tottenham alty

Re: Alty Superstitions
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »

Bishop Auckland match was surreal at the time - didnt it kick off between themselves in their end first??? I heard a rumour that day that Macc Town infiltrated their end because of some previous beef?

As I remember one of our guys actually got jumped on the way home? And didn't the BA fans trash a wedding shop in Alty, as well as breaking the windows of the then called Robin's Retreat. Crazy...

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 08:09:05 PM »

Yes, however one of our players, a scouse lad called Ian Horrigan was also a pretty handy middleweight boxer and absolutely leathered half of them while the other half cowered on the coach!!  :D ;D

Never knew about that part of the story! Class!

I seem to recall it made the front page of the Evening News on the Monday after the game, which is bizarre in itself.
Come on Alty!

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 08:22:15 PM »

It was the only time I've ever been worried. Bizarre indeed, I remember Horrigan, we seem to do well with the scouse population  :)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 09:45:47 PM »

There must be some kind of mystical connection with Kidderminster - I seem to recall a description of Flynny's "Fred Astaire-like" dance in the main stand at Aggborough when Danny MCGoona equalised there a few years ago!

:D

Remember it well.......& enjoying reliving the moment...marvellous footwork........&  plenty of bemused Kidderminster fans :o

Mike Marsh scored a peach of a free kick & I thought that Marc Limbert was brilliant on his debut.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »

I have sat in the Press Box since 1989 & I think that we have only lost on a couple of occasions. ;)

It's when you pile out of the press box a la Oxford away thta is usually a sign of things going well.

Incidentally, does you current match day position count as being in the press box?

January 1st 1992 against Kidderminster :-X

Or when Flynny punches the Moss Lane press box glass to celebrate an Alty goal...and proceeds to crack it.

When exactly did that incident occur, Father Flynn?

January 1st 1992 against Kidderminster :-X

I'd have given you good odds on it being that season! What were you celebrating Flynny, one of the players momentarily caring whether we won a game or not?

Gary Anderson's brilliant equaliser 8)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2009, 09:51:37 PM »

My favourite spectacular goal against Kidderminster was Mark Ogley's effort from his own half in about 1993.
Come on Alty!

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2009, 09:56:25 PM »

Bishop Auckland match was surreal at the time - didnt it kick off between themselves in their end first??? I heard a rumour that day that Macc Town infiltrated their end because of some previous beef?

As I remember one of our guys actually got jumped on the way home? And didn't the BA fans trash a wedding shop in Alty, as well as breaking the windows of the then called Robin's Retreat. Crazy...

Had to go to court as a witness for this they all got slapped wrists after there barristers give them sicking character statements that made them all sound like respectable people. Did get a free lunch out of Gerry Berman though :)
@AltyDaz

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
A summary of the Bishop Auckland events
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2009, 11:11:45 PM »

I suppose it was a long time ago now, but it was hardly the 80's either. Truly one of the weirdest days in Moss Lane history. Imagine somebody like I dunno, Ebbsfleet bringing 100 fans and then next minute absolute mayhem and Ploice Horses charging into the chequers end like the Peterloo massacre

http://www.altyfc.u-net.com/news98.htm

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2009, 12:12:07 AM »

[
Had to go to court as a witness for this they all got slapped wrists after there barristers give them sicking character statements that made them all sound like respectable people. Did get a free lunch out of Gerry Berman though :)

Don't gloat....he'll be in touch with you soon to claim the cost of your lunch back as a 'Director's loan'....
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2009, 12:35:18 PM »

Had to get him a reciept  :o :o
@AltyDaz
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty Superstitions