Do you prefer the official site

As it was before
- 25 (52.1%)
As it is now
- 23 (47.9%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: September 06, 2013, 07:14:46 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The official site  (Read 9122 times)

Baldrick

The official site
« on: September 01, 2013, 07:14:46 PM »

I think the official site looks like an advertising board. I couldn't even find the fixture list. I was talking to a steward yesterday and he agrees its a mess.

joe

Re: The official site
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 07:35:57 PM »

I agree Baldrick,it's a right mess now!

Mount Street Alty

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 07:39:35 PM »

I'm saying nothing but I'm sure there are more disappointed with it than happy! oh well, I now get my club updates from Kenny

taxi Phil

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 08:11:28 PM »

I don't have any real issues with the new site, even on my smartphone........but the old one was better.

markecky

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 08:22:29 PM »

A lot of the adverts have to be on their as league rules dictate that the official league sponsors must be on the official site and the other provide valuable income for the club.

For the record I preferred the old design as well but hopefully the mobile issues can be resolved.

Not sure why its so hard to find the fixtures though?  Teams then First Team then Fixtures.

I hope this thread can at least show some respect, whilst expressing opinions, to someone who works for free for our club 364 days a year and is doing the best they can.

We aren't heckling a web design company here that's been paid thousands to make this like the Conference website.

Hamilton

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 08:22:55 PM »

I think the new one is excellent (tho only really used it on PC) and, after a wee bit of practice, have no problem finding anything.

I had my doubts with the BBC Sports website when that first changed, but now find it an improvement and easier to use.

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 08:37:02 PM »

I think Ecky is right, who else would want to take it on? It's a thankless task but one that Mr and Mrs Laidlar deserve great credit for. The author of this thread obviously wants to take it on so good look to them.

markecky

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 08:40:33 PM »

There is clearly a couple of people on here that can help with the mobile side of things, hopefully John will utilise them if he is struggling as mobile access is very important in todays market.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »

There is clearly a couple of people on here that can help with the mobile side of things, hopefully John will utilise them if he is struggling as mobile access is very important in todays market.
more and more accessed in this way than in traditional methods
ParkINson's red and white army

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 10:29:45 PM »

The fact it opens a new page every time you hit a button is a mystery
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

itbegan

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 11:32:58 PM »

The new site is different than the old one, but has a lot of good content and finding stuff isn't that hard if you have a poke around. The search under site index will find most things on the site if you are stuck.
An awful lot of thought and effort goes into creating a website: Where to host the site, the technology it sits on, the design of the site, the content that makes the site and then the constant tinkering to keep the site up to date, as well as the support work to keep the site alive. Who fixes it goes off.
I raise my glass to the webmaster, especially when you give your time, energy and skills for free.

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 12:28:37 AM »

I have lots of respect for Mr Laidler , but when site was launched we were asked for our opinions and ideas , most of the problems seem to be about the phone access , i don't find the site hard to negotiate on my PC but it not good on my phone .

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 01:12:28 AM »

It's still an issue that clicking on a link causes it to open in a new window. If that can be fixed (and depending on how the site's been put together it could be very simple or very time consuming) and the mobile issue is sorted then I think most people will be happy given the content has remained excellent.
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!

Stuartalty

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 11:20:07 AM »

I’m with icky all the way on this one. It’s a natural trait of human beings to resist change; it’s not a bad trait it allows us to move forward slowly and positively.

Without the likes of Mr and Mrs Laidler we would not have a web site at all. We should be applauding them not ripping the site and them to pieces. We are supposed to be fans of Altrincham Football club, the sooner we get back to the old adage ’ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE ‘ the better. Our team demonstrate it to us every time that they play. We need to learn from their good example. Make observations by all means and where possible suggestions to overcome the problem. But please keep away from negative statements. It does not do the sender or the reader any good at all.

When I first saw the new sight, I was 100% against it. But with time I have found my way around the site and I am now, very comfortable using it.  Most people these days are very busy and do not have the time to spend playing to find things that they could find with one click before. So at the outset it would have probable been useful to have
Had a crib sheet with one liners like ecke explained

For fixtures = Teams then First Team then Fixtures.

Before anybody says anything, It’s not my intention to be patronizing I am just making an observation

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 11:33:23 AM »

I personally prefer the new format aesthetically. However it is very difficult to use on a mobile - as has been well documented - which I am sure will be addressed.

Credit to the people who maintain the website, it isn't perfect and there are things about it I don't like. But the huge amounts of time and effort that go into something which is generally a very good advert for the club should indeed be recognised.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The official site