PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 For any one who's been in The Bridge inn
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: For any one who's been in The Bridge inn  (Read 10914 times)

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: For any one who's been in The Bridge inn
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 09:23:30 PM »

;) It may well be but it's true.

Not the case with The Bridge i guess, more bullying by the developers. Pubs like The Bridge are rarer and rarer these days and need protection. Good luck to whatever campaign there is. A truly superb looking building, notwithstanding it's where I'd grab a couple of pints before a night game straight off the train in the old days.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

taxi Phil

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 09:38:04 PM »

Our town never had a chance once the fat cat Trafford councillors began to have their pockets lined by Peel Holdings.

And the pub problem certainly isn't unique to Altrincham. The whole idea of the traditional British working man's boozer is being strangled by beer prices, the smoking ban, and the need to diversify to stay afloat. I'm old enough to remember playing crib, don, and fives & threes in the vault of the Hare & Hounds !

I miss pubs like the Victoria (now gastro) and The Railway (demolished) but I suppose I'm part of the problem since the job restricts my ability to bend my elbow.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 09:49:02 PM »

The whole idea of the traditional British working man's boozer is being strangled by beer prices, the smoking ban, and the need to diversify to stay afloat. I'm old enough to remember playing crib, don, and fives & threes in the vault of the Hare & Hounds !

/quote]

There you have part of the problem Phil, the last couple of generations will go out but on a weekend in a crowd or as couples. The concept of meeting mates for two or three pints and a game of cards, darts etc is dying as now the younger set can play games alone at home or on-line across the world without leaving the house. They can communicate by text, chat sites, Facebook etc. The world of social intercourse and communication has changed forever. I know of a family that talk to each other via Facebook from within their own house, room to room!
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 10:14:06 PM »

The victoria will always be my spiritual local,and like many others,(a good few on this forum) i will be a nomadic boozer until such time that its no longer daglo green and stops acting above its station, miss you vic x

RocketDan

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2011, 02:19:15 AM »

Although I've never really bothered with the bridge, i still like it's quirkiness and character.

That said, if its an authentic drinking house you are after, there's still a lot of decent pubs around: The Malt Shovels, The Roebuck, The Orange Tree, The Bricklayers Arms, The Market Tavern.....

fuertes

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »

When I'm back in Alty I like paying The Old Market Tavern a visit. Good range of beer and everyone in there seems normal enough.

seasonticket

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2011, 10:52:04 AM »

Our town never had a chance once the fat cat Trafford councillors began to have their pockets lined by Peel Holdings.

Taxi phil You are surely not suggesting our councillors are corrupt and accept back handers.
I said pretty much the same thing to a councillor who knocked onthe door canvassing for local elections afew years back. She assured me that this was not so and I was mistaken. However I assured her that no matter what she said, as all politicians are liars (it goes with the job) I would not change my mind and I have not. You are so right in that comment.

ArmchairAlty

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2011, 11:30:50 AM »

http://www.messengernewspapers.co.uk/news/8993628.Altrincham_mall_to_get_a_makeover/?ref=rss&utm_medium=twitter

Bit off topic of boozers, but new development in Alty coming in the Grafton's Mall bit... including a Travelodge!

anglo alty

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »

I moved away from alty in 1971 due to my dad changing jobs and every time i come back to Altrincham i see another part of the town i once knew dissapearing and now i see its the bridge. it takes me back to the mid seventies when the developers were allowed to rape and pillage alty and we lost iconic buildings such as the old library and the stamford hall and later on the old footbridge by the crossings, that footbridge was unique yet it was allowed to to be destroyed (does anyone have a photo of it if so i would be grateful if they could e mail it to garydickinson50_@hotmail.co.uk). They would have had the Brickies too if my cousin and others hadn't gotten involved in a campaign to save 8it SAVE THE BRIDGE I still visit alty to see family and the odd game my grandad is 105 years old altrincham born and bred and if you put him the centre of George St now he couldn't find his way home

York Alty

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2011, 05:30:02 PM »

a travelodge confirms a souless suburban nothingness.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 For any one who's been in The Bridge inn