PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Droylsden
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Droylsden  (Read 3811 times)

York Alty

Re: Droylsden
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »

The Trophy was big in the 80s no doubt at all.

It has diminished in importance with auto promotion to the league and until there is a way of tying it back into such a fantastic prize as that it's going to be a very distant second and possibly third behind a lucrative FA Cup run.

If you were to offer me an FA Trophy win or the jackpot of United in the cup I would be torn to choose.  The money from LOSING against United would be used to give us the best chance of a league place in 20 years plus.  The GLORY of winning at Wembley once more would be so sweet, such a beautiful thought...

Jimmy

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 09:29:57 PM »

I'd take winning the trophy over anything other than winning promotion to football league infact when we were in the blue square premier I often said if we won trophy I'd sacrifice relegation

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 12:34:04 AM »

Re Gazelle - yes I particularly remember an eve of final 1-0 win at Wycombe.  They were regular features but I couldn't tell you how mny times we took part

Re Wealdstone Boston - I was there and took great pleasure in swearing at Blackwell and Cook as they came down the stairs clutching their losers medals: cheating bastards.  It was the same day as the Bradford fire sadly and I saw footage on TV screens as I was leaving Wembley.

thegazelle

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 06:43:02 AM »

Re Gazelle - yes I particularly remember an eve of final 1-0 win at Wycombe.  They were regular features but I couldn't tell you how mny times we took part

Nice to know my mind is not playing tricks , However i cant remember any other eve of trophy final fixtures .

I think the 78 Final has to be about the greatest day of my life . It was my and so many other peoples first trip to Wembley . we just didnt go darn sarf in those days. The trip to weymouth the previous year was also massive I think it was the first time we had played south of birmingham.  You tell that to the kids of today and they wont believe you

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 09:50:04 AM »

Re Wealdstone Boston - I was there and took great pleasure in swearing at Blackwell and Cook as they came down the stairs clutching their losers medals: cheating bastards.  It was the same day as the Bradford fire sadly and I saw footage on TV screens as I was leaving Wembley.

You must have been in the posh seats!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 03:38:02 PM »

Re Gazelle - yes I particularly remember an eve of final 1-0 win at Wycombe.  They were regular features but I couldn't tell you how many times we took part

I'm pretty certain that the Wycombe Wanderers v Alty 'eve of FA Trophy Final friendly' to which you refer took place on Friday, 18th May 1979.

Was it John Rogers who scored the goal?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

taxi Phil

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 05:43:47 PM »

Re Gazelle - yes I particularly remember an eve of final 1-0 win at Wycombe.  They were regular features but I couldn't tell you how many times we took part

I'm pretty certain that the Wycombe Wanderers v Alty 'eve of FA Trophy Final friendly' to which you refer took place on Friday, 18th May 1979.

Was it John Rogers who scored the goal?

SHOCK ! HORROR ! CULT HAS TO ASK A QUESTION ABOUT AN ALTY MATCH !  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Droylsden