PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Shotton Up Front on Saturday?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shotton Up Front on Saturday?  (Read 5054 times)

The Fan

« on: April 14, 2008, 09:18:12 AM »

What a 2nd half performance. As a bit of a critic of GH, I have to say that everything he did on Saturday worked.

Which leads me on to my point - would you start with Shotton up front next Saturday? Chris Lane is more than adequate cover at right back and we actually won some flick on's with Ryan up there. Seems to me the lad can play anywhere and, in our situation, it's worth it.

Thoughts?

baldrick

Re: Shotton Up Front on Saturday?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 09:30:03 AM »

I would stick with Little and Senior up front but maybe move Shotton forward at half time if things are not going well.

highwayman

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 11:14:36 AM »

I'm with The Fan on this. Start Shotton upfront on Saturday. Take the initiative from the off!

Pushing Shotton upfront on Saturday was tactical genius on GH's (and GB's) part.

First half we looked anxious. Second half we just went for it. And we, the fans, loved it!

We've got plenty of cover at Right Back (Laney, Battersby, Scotty, even Asa) so start "Shots" upfront.

If we take the game to Ebbsfleet and get ahead, then I can't see them having the stomach for a scrap (nothing to play for in the League, Wembley on their mind, etc.)

louise1925

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 12:28:27 PM »

100% Shotts up front. Would be stark raving bonkers not to.

baldrick

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 12:51:58 PM »

But who would you drop? Or would you play three up front and lose a defender or midfielder?

Alty365

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 01:05:10 PM »

Hats off to GH for that substitution which saw Shotton pushed up front. I wondered what the hell he was doing but it worked an absolute treat. I would like to see Shotton start up front on Saturday alongside Little, maybe even have three up front as suggested above. Ebbsfleet have two midweek games this week and with our lads fully recharged we need to get at them from the very start on Saturday.

Longman

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 01:24:04 PM »

Hats off to GH for that substitution which saw Shotton pushed up front. I wondered what the hell he was doing but it worked an absolute treat. I would like to see Shotton start up front on Saturday alongside Little, maybe even have three up front as suggested above. Ebbsfleet have two midweek games this week and with our lads fully recharged we need to get at them from the very start on Saturday.

Agreed, the first goal is going to be very important!  Like someone has mentioned above if we score first and they are chasing the game are they really going to be up for the battle with tired legs and wembley on their minds??

Having said that I thought they looked pretty keen against Halifax the other night.

highwayman

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 02:02:21 PM »

But who would you drop? Or would you play three up front and lose a defender or midfielder?

I'd start with:-

Coburn

Lane
Tinson
Young

Lawton
Turnbull
Tansey
Peyton

Senior
Shotton
Little

ATTACK!
ATTACK!
ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK!

bigcol

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 02:15:39 PM »

Especially as it is away, I'd start with the tried and trusted and then move Shotton forward if it wasn't working out.

No point playing your Ace straight away.

highwayman

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 02:20:08 PM »

As I said earlier...

If we take the game to Ebbsfleet and get ahead, then I can't see them having the stomach for a scrap (nothing to play for in the League, Wembley on their mind, etc.)

It's going to be interesting to see what GH and GB do.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 03:25:03 PM »

All I'll say is it's a nice problem to have and I trust Graham and Graham (probably the best we;ve had since Heathcote and King) to get it right.

HeyAlty

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 03:41:11 PM »

Playing 3 at the back would be too risky as if they went 2 up after 10 minutes it would be hard to come back. Not everyone has had to go completely gung ho to get a win, we are still capable of getting a win with 4-4-2 although we could put shotton up front later on if we are struggling or playing well but just not putting the ball in the back of the net

altyf

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 05:30:44 PM »

You only have to look at Halifax at home to show that 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 would be disastrous...my team:

Coburn

Lane
Tinson
Young
Lynch

Lawton
Tansey
Turnbull
Peyton/Senior

Shotton
Little

Bench: Acton, Battersby, Roca, O'Niell, Val (if fit)

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 05:40:07 PM »

it was no surprise to me that G.H put him up front after all he did against nantwich in csc final where he also scored so he is worth a try from the start

JT

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 07:03:39 PM »

I would love to see Shotts up front, but i think it would be better after half time again, because i think a major factor in the success he got up front on saturday was to do with the tiring defenders.  His great jump in the air to win a high ball was invaluable against the defenders who were starting to feel it in their legs, as well as his pace that he has anyway.  So maybe starting him there wud mean that we don't use him to his full potential, as if after half time the Ebbsfleet defenders have got the measure of him and we are chasing the game again, then we might struggle
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team