PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Even Witton cannot help Vxcs
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Even Witton cannot help Vxcs  (Read 4437 times)

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: November 06, 2008, 10:21:25 PM »

Some Wittoners have been asking me my views about the uncertainty surrounding Vics future, and that of their stadium. Mark Harris acting chairman

As some of you know, I met Jim Rushe, the Vics chairman yesterday at his request. Although the precise nature of our meeting must rightly remain confidential, I don't want any wild conjecture to fill this forum, and I also want to be as clear as I can with Wittoners over the current position.

My sole responsibilities are to the supporters and shareholders of Witton Albion. No-one else. Consequently I'm only concerned with the best interests of your football club.

The whole issue of whether we should leave Wincham Park for anywhere - including the Victoria Stadium - is a very simple one. We own our ground and I could never recommend to shareholders or supporters any move in which we did not retain ownership of our home.

Even if we wanted to (which we don't) the current economic climate makes it unviable to borrow any money, let alone the figure allegedly currently being asked for the Victoria Stadium. The interest payments alone would be £135,000 a year.

And right now it isn't clear who - or what - we'd be dealing with if we tried to buy it. As anyone in the property business will tell you, now ain't the time to dabble unless you have very big pockets. And we don't.

Sharing Wincham Park on a regular basis isn't an option either as Runcorn Linnets are with us this season at least. One-off help may be possible if Jim Rushe asks, and it is sufficiently in Witton Albion's financial interest to do so.

Right now, our focus has to be on going forward - and upwards - after a difficult week. Jim has my sympathy; he's working very hard to resolve a difficult position, but the distraction of events across the water is an unwelcome one for us right now.

I'm always willing to meet Jim or any representative of Northwich Victoria FC, and it's important that the two clubs have dialogue. Beyond that, however, unfortunately we can't help Vics any further.

I hope that puts things into context. There are no hidden agendas or conspiracies - just people trying to run two clubs in very difficult financial circumstances.

Right now, although our finances are tighter than ever, we are stable as a business. I would be shirking my legal responsibilities to the shareholders if it was not. As our neighbours know only too well, the dividing line between stability and chaos is wafer-thin. Let's use this as a reminder that we must never again cross that line ourselves. After all, unless we are very careful, it could be us tomorrow.

As ever, if anyone wants to ask me anything about anything (providing there's no confidences involved), you'll get a straight answer. See you at Ossett.

@AltyDaz

Narcissist

Re: Even Witton cannot help Vxcs
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 08:03:53 AM »

Why in the name of god would Witton want to leave a ground they own, which isn't that bad to start with to move to a 3-sided stadium round the corner with no electricity. Very bizarre!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 08:37:55 AM »

Why in the name of god would Witton want to leave a ground they own, which isn't that bad to start with to move to a 3-sided stadium round the corner with no electricity. Very bizarre!

Where's the third side? are you grouping both ends together to make a full one?  :)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Jezza

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 09:17:02 AM »

Looks like Vics may be looking for alternatives to using the VS doesn't it?#

It sounds like the best they are gonna get is if the floodlights go at the VS during a match, everyone nips in their cars over the canal and finishes the game at Wincham Park.....a bit like after a wedding when everyone scoots off to the reception at the pub down the road.

The Vs is a white elephant sadly especially in these times of economic uncertainty.

But this has always been a case of it being obvious these two clubs should at least share a ground they jointly own.

Narcissist

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 09:23:46 AM »

Where's the third side? are you grouping both ends together to make a full one?  :)

lol

yeah, i was being generous. They need all the help they can get.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 09:24:53 AM »

In short, as soon as Runcorn Linnets get fixed up with their new ground, Vics want to move in with Witton?

Let's hope(?) they're still around when this happens! Cantilever Park, Warrington might be their nearest alternative. :o
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 09:25:07 AM »

Looks like Vics may be looking for alternatives to using the VS doesn't it?#

It sounds like the best they are gonna get is if the floodlights go at the VS during a match, everyone nips in their cars over the canal and finishes the game at Wincham Park.....a bit like after a wedding when everyone scoots off to the reception at the pub down the road.

The Vs is a white elephant sadly especially in these times of economic uncertainty.

But this has always been a case of it being obvious these two clubs should at least share a ground they jointly own.

The whole thing has been strange in that both clubs have moved miles out of town and built new grounds 400 yards from each other in an industrial estate. Crazy.

matnvfcmad

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 09:34:19 AM »

Witton will have to move out sooner rather than later as the council plan to build houses on there ;)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 09:36:29 AM »

Witton will have to move out sooner rather than later as the council plan to build houses on there ;)

Let's hope they connect them to mains electric then eh?

Jezza

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 10:24:56 AM »

I think in the current climate the council will have many other thoughts on their mids apart from building houses.

And why should witton move out just coz they are surrounded by houses?..what a ludicrous statement.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 11:44:32 AM »

According to Mark Harris Witton own their ground - so unless the Council compulsory purchase it they can't build anything on there. Is there another site in the area currently used for football but not owned by the team that play there? - that might be just the place for housing.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 11:44:32 AM »

I think in the current climate the council will have many other thoughts on their mids apart from building houses.

And why should witton move out just coz they are surrounded by houses?..what a ludicrous statement.

Think he means the council plan to build ON the ground and its surroundings?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 12:27:25 PM »

I was under the impression that it wasn't suitable for housing. Witton do own the land around the back of the ground though. Where the training pitch is, that could be a useful nest egg.

I can understand Witton moving but the way Vics just aped them was ridiculous.

Someone, somewhere made a lot of money out of that Drill Field sale.

matnvfcmad

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 03:13:33 PM »

I was under the impression that it wasn't suitable for housing. Witton do own the land around the back of the ground though. Where the training pitch is, that could be a useful nest egg.

I can understand Witton moving but the way Vics just aped them was ridiculous.

Someone, somewhere made a lot of money out of that Drill Field sale.

agree with you there dont know where it all went >:(

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 07:00:27 PM »

So...

Runcorn move to new ground, And Vics become Witton's tenents again, what the hell would Connett do with the VS ? Would it just sit there for the next 20 years, or would E-on demolish it for the outstanding leccy bill ?
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team