PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 SUPER JOE
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SUPER JOE  (Read 4433 times)

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
SUPER JOE
« on: April 20, 2010, 08:23:09 AM »

O'neill Stalybridge player of the year , well done Joe 21 goals so far, keep em coming mate could do with some one like him at M.L

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
Re: SUPER JOE
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 08:30:24 AM »

See my other post. Glad to see him doing well and, of course, we could do with a 20 goal striker (who couldn't) but he was never going to be that in BSP. 

markecky

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 08:51:24 AM »

O'neill Stalybridge player of the year , well done Joe 21 goals so far, keep em coming mate could do with some one like him at M.L

We've had someone like him at Moss Lane.  It was him.

He wasn't good enough...so he went where defenders where worse and scored some more.

ArmchairAlty

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 09:02:54 AM »

We've had someone like him at Moss Lane.  It was him.

He wasn't good enough...so he went where defenders where worse and scored some more.

What he said

joe

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 09:10:27 AM »

The fact Joe O'Neill has scored over 20 goals this season shows how big the gap is between the Blue Square Premier and The Blue Square North. A nice lad and a hardworking player who always gave 100% but he'd never get 20 goals in the Blue Square Premier.

fuertes

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 09:14:26 AM »

I'm pleased for him. It was a bit hard on him that after an injury lay-off, he seemed only to get on as a sub, often out of position, for his final year with the club.

Still, as said above, he's probably only an 8 league goals a season man at BSP level. Not good enough.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 09:55:21 AM »

Let me play Devils Advocaat (an evil bottle of Warninks!)

Is it possible that, rather than just nplaying at an easier level, the regular football has improved him as a player (after all, he was once AltyForum  player of the season) and it was a lack of 1st team chances inhibited his improvement at Alty.

Remember, we have brought players from lower levels before who have shown an improvement over time with regular football (Nicky Clee)

I'm not saying this is the case with Joe, but it is another perspective that I expect GH has looked at.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 11:24:33 AM »

I think GH rated Joe (and indeed Warren and Laney) very highly as people and players. He probably would've been useful this last month or so as an extra pair of legs without ever really scoring but like everything it's been a case of balancing the books and those 3 leaving enabled us to bring in Tom Kearney, Nicky Clee and Matty Crowell (briefly), I think Marc McGRegor leaving freed up the wages for Williams and Saunders. If we made a net gain on quality like that again this summer I'll be well happy.

Back to Joe though I always really liked him, I'd have loved him to be able to just score a few more goals, even 10 a season would've done the trick. As it was 14 goals in 71 (+44 sub) appearances just wasn't quite enough although it's not far off Dale's strike rate!

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 06:28:14 PM »

O.K i agree he's  playing at a lower level but i still think he wasn't given the chance to prove him self after his injury layoff , and i suppose big john is a far better player LOL

ant

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 06:40:32 PM »

Maybe he's not a BSP player or maybe he is.  It's worth remembering that the service and midfield support is much better now than it was then (and the defence).  This means more attacking chances which may have helped Joe improve and score more in the BSP. Admittedly he didn't always take the chances that were made for him.  It'll be interesting to see if anyone takes a chance on him in the BSP next season (probably not but with reduced budgets people might be tempted to give him a shot).

taxi Phil

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 07:37:35 PM »

While Joe's strike rate with us wasn't up to scratch, I always thought he was a decent hold-up player. Anyone got any stats that show when he was on the field simultaneously with Little and Senior ? I suspect he had a positive effect on THEIR strike rate !

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 08:08:47 PM »

Well done Joe,
think he could have done a job for us this year.

Bath Alty

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 11:05:19 PM »

I'd certainly swap him for John McA as cover for Dale

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 12:43:56 AM »

Absolutly agree Bath  big John  not a  bsp player by any means

RocketDan

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 07:44:31 PM »

could do with some one like him at M.L

We have John MacAlisky, he is like Joe, but isn't as good and doesn't score as many goals.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 SUPER JOE