PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Here we go ...Brace yourselves ... My views on yesterday
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Here we go ...Brace yourselves ... My views on yesterday  (Read 4490 times)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« on: August 12, 2007, 10:10:47 PM »

COME ON ALTY

I am not a fan of sniping at players so some of the posts\comments in the bar AFTER ONE GAME has actually quite angered me. We have signed on this players to represent our club and knocking anyones confidence AFTER ONE GAME is hardly the way forward in my opinion.

I thought we did well for the first 45mins with Val being the outstanding man for me. Everyone contributed to the team and we looked like we MAY do a SHOCK (yes a shock as lets be honest who expected us to win this game???). 

Scoring from a corner is a big positive from us, how many times have we self cleared corners ??  Ithought we looked better from throwins as well with options being made available.

I will say that I do not agree with playing with no recognised wingers or anyone with pace outwide. We in effect play 4 Centre midfielders but this tactic worked in the first half though so did some good ?? It struggles though if we go goals behind

I also think its fair to say we did not deserve a 4-1 defeat.. but lets be honest if you are team that can bring on Elam and Basham then you are going to inflict some damage against us ? Those two players prob earn more than half our starting line up, if not more !

I thought GH shouldn't have come in the bar so soon, especially after the defeat hurting him as much as the fans but again thats my opinion. The last thing we need is slanging matches across rooms. I brought two friends to the game and they thought we looked very tinpot and laughable in the bar afterwards and ican guarantee its that that they will be telling people about.

I say onward and upwards (only place to go) and everyone get to Halifax on tuesday and SUPPORT the lads. It was never going to be an easy season but we have to believe we can stay up. If this was against Salisbury, Droylsden or Vics then yes I'd be annoyed .. We have got to make sure we win the games in our 'mini' league and we'll be ok.

COME ON ALTY
In conclusion for me its only the first game of the season. everyone is entitled to an opinion and thats mine.  :) :)

tinnyalty

Re: Here we go ...Brace yourselves ... My views on yesterday
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »

Scoring from a corner is a big positive from us, how many times have we self cleared corners ??  Ithought we looked better from throwins as well with options being made available.

I will say that I do not agree with playing with no recognised wingers or anyone with pace outwide. We in effect play 4 Centre midfielders but this tactic worked in the first half though so did some good ?? It struggles though if we go goals behind

Spot on with those comments Gaz....think the first half one was of the BEST performances of many years for me..the corners had a quality ball delivered in the right areas also look at the height we had with our 10 players..many times last season we had problems with high balls and the height of our players...

If we kept the same midfield the best change GH could have made was to bring on Senior and see how the tatic worked against exeter but for me changing both wings was wrong we lost our height and solidness ! at the sametime....

why did he take off o'neill i am not his biggest fan i thought lawton should have gone off b4 him (but that does disagree with my aforementioned above comments), anyway that games gone now to put some points on the board.
ONWARDS AND UPWARDS

;)

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 10:54:50 PM »

Before the game my heart said we would win / draw.
However if I had been making a trip to the bookies with my own tenner, then I confess that I would have backed Exeter to win.

If we had lost 2-1, then I think that would not have been anything unusual. Most neutrals would have predicted this. We only lost by more by pushing for a late equaliser........so what, we ended up with the same amount of points at the end of the game that I (realistically) expected........NB 135 more points still to play for !

We played ok in my view, scored and then kept Exeter at bay for an hour. We should be able to do this against a lesser team for 90 mins and get some points on the board

On another note
If we opened against Stafford and beat them, followed by a draw / win at Halifax on Tues, and then lost at home to Exeter..........then it would not hurt as much !!

Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Jenga

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 08:44:59 AM »

I think GH was right to play four across the centre with no wingers as such.

We needed to box the midfield in to stop them running through us and it worked first half.

What I do think should have happened is that we changed the formation before we got into trouble.

We were 1-0 up for 66 mins but from 46 to 66 minutes we never got a look in. We should have changed things after 10 15 mins as it was just not working in the second half. We perhaps could have sat back more brought off Joe and placed Matty on.

I think GH brought the correct players off on Saturday but just a little too late in hindsight.

Joe was played out of the game by a great defender in Taylor I think his name was, he didnt get a look in but that is not to say he was bad like some people are saying, it just wasnt his day. Colin was ineffectual and marked out of the game and cant remember who else came off now.

GH was right to bring the forwards off, they toiled against a very strong, tall, powerful defence.

Our chances will come, they just didnt come on saturday.

louise1925

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 09:52:43 AM »

Why don't we try playing 4 3 3 v Halifax? Val and Robbie could act as protection for what is already a decent defence. Gareth Whalley is obviously our class act and should be the playmaker just in front of the other two. Then we can play BOTH Senior and Potts out wide with Col in the middle. Give Jake a go at left back - why not? When Pottsy gets tired, bring on Rod. There you go! Took me a whole day to think of that one!

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 10:03:34 AM »

we had to push for a late equalliser ,but we ended up with the same amount of points so we lost nothing by doing it.I have posted elsewhere,i was speaking with Lee Elam this morning and he said the only differnece was the fitness lvls and tha Alty just ran out of steam.The Exeter players were training in fitness first this morning i bet the Alty players were working,this is the big difference.
Harold

Butty

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 10:57:26 AM »

the one mistake that was obvious to me was when senior came on, why did we still play high balls over the top to him, because he isnt the tallest player in the world, althought the lad acan jump

altyf

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 11:05:08 AM »

Coburn
Lane          Tinson                          Munroe               Sedge

Robbie           Whalley         Owen

Potts                        Little                        Senior

Just to clarify, this is the team you're suggesting?

Jenga

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 01:26:10 PM »

Coburn
Lane          Tinson                          Munroe               Sedge

Robbie           Whalley         Owen

Potts                        Little                        Senior

Just to clarify, this is the team you're suggesting?

Seems good team and formation but my worry is this.

If we play wingers who are they going to cross to? We dont have the tallest of forwards to get on the end of them so the formation itself I dont think will work effectively.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 01:27:16 PM »

And GH would probably counter that that was virtually the team and formation so clinically picked off in the last 10 mins. I would say looking back that the performance was quite good and 4-4-2 is fine. I just think somehow we need to offer more in attack, be it Potts abililty on the ball and crossing or Seniors movement and partnership with Joe and Col. In the end Exeter weren't under enough pressure but meh, on we go. Incidentally, apart from it just falling apart a little at the end I would have said we gave a textbook away performance, so Tuseday will be an interesting pointer to the season ahead.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 06:17:06 PM »

Gary,

Dare I ask what you said to the female physio from Exeter City as you walked past her at the end of the game?

She shook her head....and then laughed!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 07:34:30 PM »

Did better than me then,

with me she just laughed and then shook her head.

Marry me  :-*

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 07:39:15 PM »

If its the one that came out of the pHysio room at fitness first today with one of the Exeter Players,she looked alright
Harold

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 09:03:15 PM »

Did better than me then,

with me she just laughed and then shook her head.

Marry me  :-*

Ballers,

I'm sorry....but you are suffering from those unrealistic expectations...!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 09:36:13 PM »

Well, doubtless repeating others views but I've only just got to read all the fall out from Saturday now. A home defeat to Exeter City is hardly a suprise and indeed was predicted by numerous people on here last week. However, the new signings were an improvement on last season and GH is to be commended for persuading the likes of Tinson and Whalley to come to ML. The manner in which we imploded at the end pissed everyone off I'm sure, clearly none more so than GH. That said there's 45 games to go and now is the time to give the players and management our full backing. COME ON ALTY!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team