News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Gateshead v. Altrincham - 17/10/15

Author Topic: Gateshead v. Altrincham - 17/10/15  (Read 1846 times)

aj924

« on: October 15, 2015, 01:50:58 PM »

Hi folks,

Gateshead fan in peace. Hope you’re looking forward to visiting Tyneside. I’ve come to dump some information for your use:

If you’re coming by car, the closest to the stadium you can park is Stadium Road or Saltmeadows Road. The Police usually put out cones on Stadium Road, but never as far as the back end (where the road joins the main carriageway), and there’s usually a place to park there. One of the businesses on that road occasionally does secure parking on their lot for about £3, but I can't guarantee they'll be open on the day. Saltmeadows is usually a better bet, though as always arriving early ensures the best spot.

If you’re coming by train, hop on the Metro at Central Station and ride to Gateshead Stadium. You need a Zone A ticket, and both the green and yellow lines run there so any train can be used. The trains you want will be announced as heading towards South Shields or South Hylton, and of course there’s a map in the station to keep you right. Upon disembarking at Gateshead Stadium, head over the bridge and look for an exit on your right; turn onto it, and follow the long road all the way down and cross the road and you will be at the stadium. The path is marked by circular paving stone patterns at about 100yrd intervals – you can look it up on Google Maps.

If you’re wanting a drink, you’re asking the wrong person as I’m teetotal, but I’ll do my best anyway. Newcastle is obviously chock full of bars – the Centurion is embedded into the wall of Central Station, and I believe there’s a second bar there too whose name escapes me. Across the road there’s also The Head of Steam, Gotham Town and an Irish Bar, though visiting fans before you haven’t had good things to say about them. Slightly further up from the station on Westgate Road is the Union Rooms, which is a popular Heed Matchday Pub Crawl haunt. Basically the spaces around Monument and Central Station Metro stations are teeming with bars, high and low-end. In Gateshead itself, the Heed Army’s home pub is the Grey Nags Head on Gateshead High Street (nearest Metro stop: Gateshead), where there’s a Wetherspoons close by, while at the stadium The Schooner, on South Shore Road just off Saltmeadows, is a popular haunt for both Heed and visiting fans. If it’s food you’re after, there’s a McDonalds a short walk from the stadium, and of course plenty of places in Central Gateshead and Newcastle.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Have a safe journey!

taxi Phil

Re: Gateshead v. Altrincham - 17/10/15
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 10:12:05 PM »

Thanks for the heads up mate. Unfortunately I can't make it on Saturday but after last season I can heartily recommend the Schooner for a pre match pint.

ShropshireAlty

Re: Gateshead v. Altrincham - 17/10/15
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 10:50:33 PM »

Enjoyed the Schooner when we visited earlier this year and looking forward to a return visit on Saturday.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team