Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Were you present at the Orient v Alty FA Cup Third Round Replay in January 1980?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Were you present at the Orient v Alty FA Cup Third Round Replay in January 1980?  (Read 4867 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Any reminiscences relating to the following match would be most welcome for possible inclusion in a forthcoming article in the Robins Review:

Wednesday, 9th January 1980
FA Cup Third Round Replay

Orient...2 (Mayo 46, Jennings 68)

Altrincham...1 (Johnson 83).

Were you there at Brisbane Road over thirty years ago?

What do you recall of Jeff Johnson's scrambled late goal?

Were you on one of the coaches that took a wrong turning and eventually ended up having to manoeuvre out of a narrow factory yard?

Please post your memories on this thread or email them to me at : towerofsong@btinternet.com

Many thanks for your assistance, in anticipation.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

My Father who died just over a month ago he went,i was at the first game.I remember him saying how nice and friendly the Orient were as a club and how he was invited back to the bar for a drink after the game.Wonderful fans was how he discribed em.
Harold

Jezza

sadly couldn't go to the replay....so i juust remember the highligths from the tele that night.....I liked Jeff Johnon's 'quality' goal wherre the ball just pinged like pinball offa his shin...then he grabbed the ball and ran back to the half way line but Barry Howard was just desperate to give him a hug...jeff tried to ignore him coz getting the ball back was more important but eventually gave in and gave a running hug...

Hemel Dave

I went.  I lived and worked in London and remember how cool it was for me and my mate Paul just to jump on the tube to an Alty game.  Don't remember too much of the game except we were on an open terrace at one end and the crushing disappointment when Orient scored in front of us.  Still got the program if you want it.

thegazelle

i can recall it was a very long journey and we did get lost . there was not many of us and the atmosphere was crap on the open terraCE. THERE WERE some west ham fans who were a tad aggressive to start but when they realised we were no threat they had a bit of banter . Do i recall one nutter massive lad with a plastic dinosaur stuck on his shoulder or did i dream that??

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

my big regret of the time really - i went to every other game you would care to name but it was my geography mock o-level that afternoon and i felt i had to go

of course looking at it from this distance i wish i had blown out the exam as it would have made no difference to the rest of my life

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

my big regret of the time really - i went to every other game you would care to name but it was my geography mock o-level that afternoon and i felt i had to go

of course looking at it from this distance i wish i had blown out the exam as it would have made no difference to the rest of my life

jim,

Alas, I suffered a similar fate and was unable to get to Brisbane Road due to being embroiled in mock O-Level examinations.

I can't recall which subject it was on that particular Wednesday afternoon though....

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

jim,

Alas, I suffered a similar fate and was unable to get to Brisbane Road due to being embroiled in mock O-Level examinations.

I can't recall which subject it was on that particular Wednesday afternoon though....

You whipper-snappers get on my nerves!  ;)

I got to the home match by missing most of my sleep as I'd started 12 hour nights the previous day. As I worked 7 on - 2 off, I was still doing them until the following thursday and trying to play 'catch - up' with my sleep (I had 3 kids to get to school in the mornings before I could get to bed).

Signed,

Saughall ('you've never had it so good even if I am a boring old fart') Robin

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

jim,

yes of coursei was doing mock A level wasnt I?
what good did geography do me? funny that i ended up living a couple of miles from brisbane road

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

jim,

yes of coursei was doing mock A level wasnt I?
what good did geography do me? funny that i ended up living a couple of miles from brisbane road

Telling your story you have also unwittingly delved into the HISTORY of your life...  What an educational forum this is  ;)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

jim,

I got to the home match by missing most of my sleep as I'd started 12 hour nights the previous day. As I worked 7 on - 2 off, I was still doing them until the following thursday and trying to play 'catch - up' with my sleep (I had 3 kids to get to school in the mornings before I could get to bed).

Signed,

3 kids eh Saughall..... no bloody wonder you were knackered and had no kip mate  ;)

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Brings back lot of memories for me, never missed games in them days even though I was in Uni at Newcastle On Tyne,...but missed that replay when my car broke down on the A1. I had a big mate who was a big O's fan, I used to go to Brisbane Road with him when at college in London for two years (they were very friendly club and had Laurie Cunningham then and good side). He came up to ML when we deserved to win (silly mistake for their equaliser by JD I think),  and I rung him on the college payphone that night after I got towed back to Newcastle and he rubbed my nose in it,... the ba.tard, never forgave him,...oh to have Jeff Johnson and Barry Howard now... ::)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Can anyone who was at brisbane road confirm my recollection of graham heathcote lobbing Stepney in the second half and the ball (almost) crossing the line before Alex hastily gathered it?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

jim,

Signed,

3 kids eh Saughall..... no bloody wonder you were knackered and had no kip mate  ;)

Cheeky, Ray!   ;D ;D

These kids don't know they've been born!  ;)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

i was out last night watching a band and amongst those present we were recalling a gig we were all at about 3 years ago. it appears that everything i remember is not true. my memories of 30 years ago may be sketchy
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Were you present at the Orient v Alty FA Cup Third Round Replay in January 1980?