PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's Referee
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Today's Referee  (Read 4956 times)

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Today's Referee
« on: April 09, 2007, 07:33:42 PM »

can someone please enlighten me to where I recognise this joker from ? i'm certain i have seen him at ML this season and he was awful then, to be honest i think Talbot should have been sent off, he was the last man and their player was deffo throgh on goal if he hadn't have fouled him, i think maybe the referee gave him the benefit of the doubt as from what i can gather he said it was accidental, and maybe it was a distance from goal, BUT the law states last man ! also i am not apologising for nearly scaling the hoardings and smacking him one, when their number 7 decided he was going diving in the corner, shocking decision and then he smiles as he books Lawton, and yet again in the last 5 mins by the dugout a player did it again....they aren't the best team i have seen but why on earth would you resort to things like that ? in fact another amusing moment was their number 7 yet again tripping over thin air 'splashing' into the sand in the middle of the park and then looking around for a) the joker ref to award a free kick for non contact but hey whatever or b) his points from the other judges on his splashing time in the sand. ANNOYS ME.
all in all he got decisions wrong again.

radcliffe alty

Re: Today's Referee
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 07:36:43 PM »

You are in deep sh*t with John Moules now, matey. Deep sh*t indeed.

Altysmiffy

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 08:22:16 PM »

Do you mean the ref cared about the result?

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 08:28:10 PM »

i don't think he would admit it, that would then highlight Mr. Moules' comments. I'm not being one sided neither he got the Talbot decision wrong and several of their 'foules'. Maybe the 50 or so Referee's that quit this week were the interlectual ones with a BRAIN. Just where are all the normal, unbiased, simple, ref's with a teeny ounce of common sense gone ?

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 08:35:43 PM »

That No 7 was a cheat and they are spoiling football, I hope they achieve nothing this season.

There No 8 was telling us to shut up!!

Totally ignorant and sh*te with it, if we had had a few days rest we woud have done them today.

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 10:18:01 PM »

Have to disagree with you there Dave.Gravesend were one of the best teams I've seen at Moss Lane this season.Only their diving antics spoils a good side.As the cliche goes,they 'did a job' on us.Very organised at the back,pacey upfront.I don't know how you please the town of Gravesend (& Northfleet).A traditional non-league side is challenging for a place in the football league,and only 50 travel up.

For our part,you knew it wasn't going to be our day when Colins shot,that would had gone in on Saturday,was saved by their keeper who pushed it so Pat couldn't follow it up.Tamworth is going to be a very,VERY tense game.

Edit: The referee Mr Pawson reffed the wins against Tamworth and Rushden.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 10:20:35 PM by Nasha »
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 10:23:43 PM »

It is a pity that they dived though!

Due to our tiredness I think we made them look better than they were.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 11:40:54 PM »

can someone please enlighten me to where I recognise this joker from ? i'm certain i have seen him at ML this season and he was awful then, to be honest i think Talbot should have been sent off, he was the last man and their player was deffo throgh on goal if he hadn't have fouled him, i think maybe the referee gave him the benefit of the doubt as from what i can gather he said it was accidental, and maybe it was a distance from goal, BUT the law states last man !

Actually the law makes no mention of being the last man, what it does mention is whether a clear goal scoring opportunity was denied. Due to the area of the pitch where the foul was committed it was hard to argue that the goal scoring opportunity was clear, had it been ten yards closer to the goal however he might well have gone.

also i am not apologising for nearly scaling the hoardings and smacking him one, when their number 7 decided he was going diving in the corner, shocking decision and then he smiles as he books Lawton, and yet again in the last 5 mins by the dugout a player did it again

Lawton shoved him in the chest and was quite rightly booked.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Daycare Dan

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 11:49:21 PM »

I agree Lawton deserved his yellow (tho I admit I may not have felt that at the time!) but why did the ref not have a word about the theatrics that went along with it? 

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 01:39:40 AM »

I think the dive (from "the push") was the only reason robbie got booked, the ref today just couldn’t spot the Olympic style dives taken from the talented gravesend players. Today, the ref wasn’t great, but we are in the conference where generally the level of refs are all not great.

As for Mr moules, i think he would realise that sometimes being a ref is like being a traffic warden. Do an important and hard job, but not really liked. However, we cannot have the same ref week in week out, so there is little consistency. One week a decision is given, another week it isn’t, maybe mr moules should concentrate on training his refs instead of openly criticising mangers who have valid points, after all bad decisions cost points (and sometimes jobs). Personally, i would have taken the managers concern on board and tried to discuss any points of referring without publishing an article in the trade paper openly criticising someone’s opinion.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 10:26:35 AM »

I am aware that this is going to get me the mother of all Peakeings and I have to admit that as a registered Referee I do have a slightly vested interest in the whole issue..

So here goes...

It really is the easiest thing in the world to blame match officials for any result which hasn't gone your way. Strangely it's very very rare that you've been beaten because either you didn't play well or because the opposition were better than you.

I had a fixture on Sunday Morning which the away team won comfortably - they got a 3 goal lead and then retained possession. In all honesty they were far, far superior and it showed. HOWEVER the only reason they won (according too the home team) was because I didn't give a free kick for the home team, in the centre circle, after ten minutes!!

On to yesterday - Jimmy is correct the law makes no mention of 'last man' merely 'denying OBVIOUS goalscoring opportunity'  Firstly Talbot wasn't the last man (Bandy covering behind could quite easily have got a challenge in) and secondly it was not an OBVIOUS opportunity. Credit should go to Mr Pawson actually for consulting with his Assistant which colour the card should be.

Re Robbie Lawton - again Jimmy (and others too) is correct - if you push someone you will get at least a Yellow Card - it's mandatory with no latitude allowed if you want to retain your status never mind progress. I can understand the frustration at what was obviously a dive but as it was exaggeration following a push rather than simulation where there had been no contact there was no action Mr Pawson could take other than to warn the Gravesend Player which I believe he did  'on the run' rather than 'ceremonially'

Referees are trained from the moment they start the basic course with the training becoming more intense and demanding the higher up the ladder you go.

If I may I'll turn this on its head.  A frequent comment is that Ref's have never played the game so don't know what they're dealing with. Maybe Managers should take the referees course and even Ref a game or two so that they know the other side of the equation?

Right Peake away!!

altyf

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 11:02:10 AM »

Personally, i would have taken the managers concern on board and tried to discuss any points of referring without publishing an article in the trade paper openly criticising someone’s opinion.

Completely agree! but he's so clueless I don't think we can expect that ever happening. The day Mr Moules makes a decent decision is the day alty get promoted to the premiership and the FA show some consistency.

As for the ref yesterday, didnt think he had too bad a game at all. Their theatrics may have been ridiculous at times but they were a better team and regardless of what the ref gave, they were well organised and looked good at the back and dangerous going forward. Didn't think the ref made any terrible decisions like the exeter penalty or the stafford free kick. Didnt have a great impact on the game like exeter and stafford

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 11:10:45 AM »

You're right Phil, its easy to blame the ref.  I thought the ref had nothing to do with us losing, we were beaten by a better side.  They are near the play offs, we are near the drop zone and the difference showed.  Lawton had to be booked but the antics of the Gravesend player left a lot to be desired.

However frustrating refs can be, without them there will be no match.  They are not the only people on a football pitch who make mistakes.

Red N White Dynamite

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 11:14:59 AM »

I've got to say it's getting a bit tedious that every defeat seems to be followed by a thread about poor refereeing. The St Albans game was refereed by one of the biggest clowns I've ever seen but I don't recall anyone going into one about it on here.

We lost to a better side and now we move on to the next game at Dagenham. See you at Victoria Road (work depending!!).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 11:18:39 AM by Slade Green Alty »

bighairedmike

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 12:43:08 PM »

the lawton yellow card... it was a dive in the first place which is why robbie pushed the guy in the chest, which IS a yellow card offence, the other guy then did a (rather impressive) matrix style dive after the push. if he hadnt have dived in the first place robbie wouldnt have pushed him and he wouldnt have got booked. both players should have been booked in my opinion. so i dont blame the referee for the booking was the right decision (according to the laws) but if he was going with the rulebook then the cheatin barsteward number 7 should have got a yellow as well. a bit of consistency is needed, thats all.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's Referee