PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 According to the Halifax Forum...
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: According to the Halifax Forum...  (Read 7256 times)

fuertes

Re: According to the Halifax Forum...
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 10:47:05 AM »

But do we want an investor? Really?

I'm being quite sincere when I say it is beyond my comprehension how any Fleetwood fan (all 100 of their real ones) derives any pleasure from what they're witnessing at the moment. Their club is an Andrew Pilley penis extension.

Bill Gates could rock up in Altrincham tomorrow. Decide he likes us. Plough in £1Bn. Win us the Premier League by 2025. What would that prove? Would any of us get a warm feeling of hometown pride?

All football clubs should operate within budget and spend only what they generate through legitimate income streams. The solution to clubs blowing others out of the water with their sugar daddy is not even more sugar daddies in the game. Quite the opposite. And if strides could be made towards that end, we would be the third most attractive club in this league to potential players.

Ascot Alty

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 11:14:54 AM »

Every league from premiership down well below BSN is littered with teams whose history and fanbase doesnt match their finances/ambitions.

Its no different in Europe either, look at PSG/Metalist/Real Madrid and on and on.

Its the modern game and we should just accept it. Where we are now is the position we deserve to be in based on many many factors.

I still believe theres enough decent footballers out there with the right attitude for us p1ss this league next year providing we get it right from top to bottom. Time will tell if LS is the man to lead that charge.

fuertes

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 11:23:05 AM »

Its the modern game and we should just accept it. Where we are now is the position we deserve to be in based on many many factors.

This iis why nothing ever changes.

In Germany you can watch top class matches for £16 and clubs aren't going bust every two minutes. Because the authorities are competent and the fans are capable of showing a bit of radicalism when necessary.

Whoring ourselves out to a millionaire isn't the answer.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 11:43:32 AM »

It's not a case of whoring ourselves out, we should due to size alone be able to out do most in this league, and It's not a lot to ask to sign some decent players,compete in the league above and occasionally have a bit of a cup

Northwich Victoria,Southport ,kingstonian,Kettering Town ,Forest Green Rovers ,Burscough ,tamworth, Hucknall Town, canvey Island   Grays Athletic,Woking ,Ebbsfleet  United,Barrow,Newport County for starters have all had a trip or more to wembley in the last 15 years, we don't ask for much, we have too little expectation as supporters if anything

roytonmike

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 11:53:10 AM »

But do we want an investor? Really?
I'm being quite sincere when I say it is beyond my comprehension how any Fleetwood fan (all 100 of their real ones) derives any pleasure from what they're witnessing at the moment. Their club is an Andrew Pilley penis extension.
Bill Gates could rock up in Altrincham tomorrow. Decide he likes us. Plough in £1Bn. Win us the Premier League by 2025. What would that prove? Would any of us get a warm feeling of hometown pride?
All football clubs should operate within budget and spend only what they generate through legitimate income streams. The solution to clubs blowing others out of the water with their sugar daddy is not even more sugar daddies in the game. Quite the opposite. And if strides could be made towards that end, we would be the third most attractive club in this league to potential players.
Totally agree with this post.

markecky

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 12:03:10 PM »

Don't really see the issue here or what it has to do with Wembley appearances.

Everyone wants to be in the playoffs and have a good cup run next year, not seen any statements to say that we are aimng just to stay in the Conference North or don't expect any cup wins.

I'm sure we were interested in Greg Young, he went to slightly closer to home no doubt on stupidly large wages.

At some stage the Gainsborugh bubble will burst, the chairman will fall out with someone or be investigated for something and the ride will be over.  Then it's begging buckets, survival and then we'd win a race with them to sign Greg Young when they return to being an average Conference North club with 400 fans.

There is no point us getting annoyed about missing out on targets due to artiificial wages paid out.

The only way around it to to start doing it and as I've said before, when the meeting comes down Ridgeway Road to pick up the pieces then I worry about the manpower we would have this time round.

What we need is a few more directors to lighten the load on our overworked board.  People willing to put in £10,000 and be part of a community football club without doing on the condition that we change our name, sign their son, paint the ground the same colour as their late mothers hair, or any other extreme conditions.  Oh and they can't have it all back at the drop of a hat when they hear something they don't like.

How we get those people is another conversation altogether.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 03:25:41 PM by markecky »

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 01:47:40 PM »

I thought there was some kind of rule coming into effect where by you could only spend so much on wages to do with your income? So by Gainsborough's standards they wouldn't be able to have 11 'Greg Youngs' in the side on a decent wedge?

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 01:57:45 PM »

I thought there was some kind of rule coming into effect where by you could only spend so much on wages to do with your income? So by Gainsborough's standards they wouldn't be able to have 11 'Greg Youngs' in the side on a decent wedge?

Of course they would. Income is gate income and sponsorship income.......clubs will just be heavily sponsored by the Chairmans company and carry the name on the shirt front............think Etihad and UEFA
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 02:59:08 PM »

In Germany you can watch top class matches for £16 and clubs aren't going bust every two minutes. Because the authorities are competent and the fans are capable of showing a bit of radicalism when necessary.

Er, they have been actually, do a bit of research rather than lazy generalisations.

Butty

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 06:00:44 PM »

I doubt being barred from entering the Champions League will trouble Gainsborough somehow

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 06:19:40 PM »

Hyde won it without having one of the best budgets in the league , it can be done !

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 08:03:59 PM »

I hope Gainsboroughs chairman enjoys it, because that's all it can be surely, enjoyment ...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 08:11:50 PM by blackpoolalty »

finnquark

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2012, 12:32:28 AM »

This iis why nothing ever changes.

Whoring ourselves out to a millionaire isn't the answer.

Clubs have been buying titles and success throughout footballing history - the fact that the source of the cash is now more likely abroad than up the road really changes very little. Football is and has been free market economics, or at least in England it is. Preston North End won their successes in the 1880s through giving Scots jobs in Lancashire, using Sudell's money. It isn't a "modern" issue.

As for Germany - not all tickets are £16, German clubs are indebted, the 50% +1 rule is flawed (Wolfsburg, Hoffenheim), and the fans "radicalism" frequently extends to violence (see increased incidences of hooliganism this season - Dresden, BFC, Koln, etc.). I do think their model is currently the best, but wouldn't say it should be replicated exactly (though I'm sure you knew some of this already - not trying to patronise!). Incidently, watching a lot of Bundesliga, the quality often isn't great. The games are exciting, fast and goal-laden, but too often the technical abilities of players in mid-table teams and below is really poor. Good fun though.

I guess all this was to say there is no simple solution to our current state - football largely (the odd exception accepted) IS about money, investment, cashflow, etc - and I believe it always has been. I think everyone here agrees on that, we just differ on how to go about increasing our options. Guess it's good most of us here seem to be aware of this, and temper our expectations.

taxi Phil

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2012, 11:14:11 AM »

I hope Gainsboroughs chairman enjoys it, because that's all it can be surely, enjoyment ...
It worked for Jack Walker at Blackburn.

Ascot Alty

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2012, 11:48:45 AM »

Er, they have been actually, do a bit of research rather than lazy generalisations.

Yep, thanks for that Ballers.

Indeed my point wasnt about price and clubs going bust. I paid 120 euros for a season ticket to a topflight French club which is astonishing. PSG Ultras pay next to nothing but their club is still trying to buy the league and theres plenty of clubs bailed out by the local council left, right and centre.

The point was that this is modern football at every level and I dont understand why we constantly bleat on about it like its just an English non-league disease.

We should find our own way to attract players, which we clearly do, and move on.

At the end of the day these lads want to earn money like threst of us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 According to the Halifax Forum...