PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Poole & Harrison sign
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Poole & Harrison sign  (Read 14148 times)

York Alty is back

Re: Poole & Harrison sign
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 11:24:41 PM »

I know I will be in the minority here but..... I think McWilliams could be worth retaining. I'm sure Parky and Sorvil could bring the best out of him...
McWilliams is capable of much more. Keep him...for now. He has to prove his worth.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 11:25:39 PM »

I think the main thing to be taken here is that (for once), these are two players who've played the previous season (and played well) and are generally rated as being decent players.

Which is a great improvement on the likes of Hobson and Hattersley who's signings produced much mirth from Stockport fans, ditto Charlie Joyce and Southport fans.

As York Alty says, it'll take some output before I can judge them and it's not Poole's fault I want to see he hasn't mentally retired first but as least they fit the basic criteria of a signing if nothing else.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 11:33:28 PM »

I know I will be in the minority here but..... I think McWilliams could be worth retaining. I'm sure Parky and Sorvil could bring the best out of him...
McWilliams is capable of much more. Keep him...for now. He has to prove his worth.

Was about to reply to Ray but you have said it

Think McW has something to offer - likes to overlap

Lawrie - an enigma - nice fella but should have been released three seasons ago for both his sake and the clubs

As others have said - a few recent false dawns to get too excited following a series of absolute duff signings from Young, Harvey et al
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

andrewflynn

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 11:47:39 PM »

I'm delighted with this. Along with Johnston, these are the sort of acquisitions we should have been making at the beginning of last season. The fact that we're still a club capable of making them at Northern Premier League level highlights just how bad a job Neil Young actually did.

When you remember that we could be adding Chris Lynch in to the mix of post-Salford players, plus the handful of Nantwich lads and our veterans who are already acquainted, its beginning to look like Phil Parkinson is going to be putting together a squad that should blend together nicely.

We set the non league circle alight tonight, dozens of comments re. Poole and 'how have they pulled that off?' Its nice to be relevant for a positive reason again. Lets hope it all works out!

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 06:57:24 AM »

More great news
ParkINson's red and white army

cornishrobin

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 07:03:28 AM »

Let's just wait and see till we've played 5league games before we stick the boot in

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 08:45:03 AM »

I can't quite believe we've managed to pull off the signing of Poole - I could have been sure he'd be Stockport-bound, or even Curzon - such is the fall down the pecking order we've suffered.

His comments on Parky fill me with a lot of confidence that he actually - shock horror - has a plan. It was this time last year that Youngy was outlining his plan to fling as much mud at it until something stuck.

Pooley, Miller (if he can stay fit) and Johnston along the front line, as well as this lad at the back, sounds like a great start to me.

Re: McWilliams, Lawrie etc - I'd be happy to keep them on as squad players, providing they are just that - squad players.

We're not going to be able to sign 16 first-teamers, so we might as well retain some of what we've got. Gambling speculatively on lads to sit on the bench will never work - we'll end up with the same dross we had last season.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 09:05:11 AM »

Let's just wait and see till we've played 5league games before we stick the boot in
there should be no sticking the boot in at all for me for months at least .  We can't lose another manager
ParkINson's red and white army

taxi Phil

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2017, 10:18:20 AM »

there should be no sticking the boot in at all for me for months at least .  We can't lose another manager
Precisely. I like what I'm seeing on the playing side, even though I'm still angry about a lot of "off the field" stuff. I'll be starting on an away games only basis. And if it looks good I might force myself to home matches by September.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2017, 10:38:25 AM »

It may be that neither Lawrie nor McWilliams are required, if a few more of the Nantwich lads join their former gaffer...

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2017, 11:26:47 AM »

We've got some good connections within the team already - Johnston and Pooley are good mates as far as I'm aware, and Johnston has obviously been with the Nantwich lads already.

Should hopefully have a really gelled squad by Game 1.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2017, 11:36:10 AM »

For the games I saw McWilliams I thought he was consistent and committed, he overlapped very well and can cross. Keep him for me, even as a squad player. Lawrie- time to move on, well should have moved on seasons a go. Clear out Hobson, Evans and Owens, nowhere near good enough. I just hope we can keep the following players fit - Miller ( huge player now Clee has left) , Densmore  ( must be his last opportunity) and finally Hannigan  ( top defender ). Midfield of Richman, Taylor and Moult if fit and firing on all cylinders SHOULD boss this league. We defo need another centre mid, centre back, 2 strikers and left back.

taxi Phil

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2017, 12:11:16 PM »

I never saw McWilliams, but was concerned by an accusation from the acting management that he failed to play to instructions.

York Alty is back

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2017, 12:29:02 PM »

I never saw McWilliams, but was concerned by an accusation from the acting management that he failed to play to instructions.

Folks saw at least two voices from the touchline, and add in GH in training sessions. I am unsurprised some got confused about their instructions.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 01:25:12 PM »

Mcwilliams was quite good when we first signed him. I can't blame him if his performances went downhill as the season wore on.

As for Lawrie, I certainly see why a lot of people see now as his time to leave. But if Parky does decide to keep him on, perhaps we could see a James Lawrie back at his best. In a dominant, attacking team with good players around him he has the ability to really shine. I could be wildly wrong but I'm interested to see what decisions are made in the coming weeks.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Poole & Harrison sign