News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Altrincham v Redditch

Author Topic: Altrincham v Redditch  (Read 3156 times)

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Altrincham v Redditch
« on: May 23, 2008, 10:33:56 PM »

Can anyone tell me the scores against Redditch in the Alliance Premier 79-80 and 80-81. A mate of mine follows Redditch and I said they probably got stuffed as we were quite hot then.

Cheers

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Altrincham v Redditch
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 11:37:35 PM »

No but I can tell you we drew 0-0 with them on St.George's Day 2005 when their mouthy prick of a goalkeeper told us that we were wankers and had f**ked up our chance of the play offs and that he'd be seeing us the season after.

I'll leave it to Hughesy to tell you what his classic retort was.

Suffice to say I cannot remember the prick's name or have evr seen since what with us still being far higher than he expected. I do however laugh very, very heartily every time this subject comes up.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 11:45:34 PM by Ballers »

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 12:13:27 AM »

My anorakshire records show we won at home 2-0 and away 1-0 in 79-80, however I went off to poly the year after and lost touch a little although came home for many games, I've no record of the Redditch scores.

I also agree with Ballers and would include the three or four loons at Redditch in 2004-5 I believe who spent the entire game trying to provoke a fight. Brummie version of Worksop.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 12:31:02 AM »

Redditch United only lasted one season in the Alliance Premier League (1979/80), finishing in bottom place with 18 points.

SW is spot on with the scorelines:

23rd October 1979
Redditch United 0  Altrincham 1

One report credits John Rogers with the goal whilst another suggests that it was an own goal.

Monday, 28th April 1980
Altrincham 2 v Redditch United  0

Our final home league match of that momentous season.
Barry Whitbread scored in the opening minute and then Jeff Johnson added the second after 48 minutes.
Attendance: 2,004.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 12:41:37 AM »

Thanks Cult, that'll be why they didn't feature in my sad man's list! Thought it was strange.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 09:44:06 AM »

Cheers  :)

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 09:53:52 AM »

My anorakshire records show we won at home 2-0 and away 1-0 in 79-80, however I went off to poly the year after and lost touch a little although came home for many games, I've no record of the Redditch scores.

I also agree with Ballers and would include the three or four loons at Redditch in 2004-5 I believe who spent the entire game trying to provoke a fight. Brummie version of Worksop.

And I believe that was the game of the unemployed coalminers accusation.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 11:06:05 AM »

Redditch United only lasted one season in the Alliance Premier League (1979/80), finishing in bottom place with 18 points.

SW is spot on with the scorelines:

23rd October 1979
Redditch United 0  Altrincham 1

One report credits John Rogers with the goal whilst another suggests that it was an own goal.

Monday, 28th April 1980
Altrincham 2 v Redditch United  0

Our final home league match of that momentous season.
Barry Whitbread scored in the opening minute and then Jeff Johnson added the second after 48 minutes.
Attendance: 2,004.

Only 2,004 there. How strange. A disappointment to us younger  :o Alty fans that we didn't play in front of 3,000 + crowds all the time. Can you imagine if we were that good now what crowds we'd have?

thegazelle

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 04:04:50 PM »

Thats us admitting to only 2000 ...............we used to lie alot in those days

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 05:24:02 PM »

Only 2,004 there. How strange. A disappointment to us younger  :o Alty fans that we didn't play in front of 3,000 + crowds all the time. Can you imagine if we were that good now what crowds we'd have?

you have to remeber that they were dark days in football with low attendances even at higher levels. examples? - chelsea were regularly getting 10,000 newcastle averaging 15,000. i knew people in those days who would sneer at you for liking football, and look at you in disbelief that you actually went to games. they all claim to support someone now though.
gazelle is also right that some weeks there would clearly be many more fans than another week but the gate given was always virtually the same.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 11:40:27 PM »

The last NPL season before the APL, at the end of each match the announcement would be, " Today's attendance is 1,058, thanks for your support". Irrespective of whether it was Netherfield on a Tuesday or Northwich on a Bank Holiday or so it seemed!

Anyone recall when the ruling changed re sharing gate money for league matches?

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 09:14:34 PM »

The game at Redditch was midweek relatively early in the season.  From what I recall there were no programmes.  It was a dull match which we won 1-0, and I'm sure it was JR rahther than an og.  The 2-0 at Moss Lane was a canter I dont think we even got out of first gear.

Redditch got relegated that year and we didnt play them again til Conf North.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 11:10:32 PM »

The game at Redditch was midweek relatively early in the season.  From what I recall there were no programmes.  It was a dull match which we won 1-0, and I'm sure it was JR rahther than an og.  The 2-0 at Moss Lane was a canter I dont think we even got out of first gear.
Redditch got relegated that year and we didnt play them again til Conf North.

Do we ever ?  ;D

And hopefully won't play them again, at least while they are in the Blue Sq South !
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Altrincham v Redditch