News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Getting the right mental approach

Author Topic: Getting the right mental approach  (Read 1364 times)

Alty365

« on: June 14, 2007, 07:23:12 PM »

It goes without saying that no manager sends his team out to lose or play badly, but it is crucial that our players have the right positive approach to next season. It's interesting when you look at what Dave Pace had to say upon winning Conference North last year. I know as well as the rest of you that man talks a lot of rubbish, but his message to the Droylsden team is that he wants to see them really attack this league and give it everything to finish as high as possible. One might say that he is living in cloud cuckoo land if he feels they will be capable of hitting the higher reaches of the Blue Square Premier, but is it better to go into things in this confident frame of mind rather than saying "We know we're not really good enough to finish high up the table so we'll try our best to avoid relegation"?

I am not criticising anyone by saying this, I am merely asking the question because psychology can play a big part in the difference between success and failure. Dave Pace's comments could quite justifiably be written off as being little more than blind optimism, but will his optimism rub off on his team and give them that extra edge required to compete at this level?

I think whatever the answers to the above, this pre-season is shaping up to be one of the most exciting in years. The signing of Tinson is now secured with the possibility of a further 5 or so signings still to come. GH will be doing everything in his power to get the team right and I can't wait for the season to start. 

Good luck to all the management and players for the season ahead, we're right behind you all the way!!!

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Getting the right mental approach
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 07:27:52 PM »

lets hope they are quality players and then i will be confident .

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Getting the right mental approach
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 07:31:08 PM »

Dave Pace's comments could quite justifiably be written off as being little more than blind optimism, but will his optimism rub off on his team and give them that extra edge required to compete at this level?

If their first game is anything like ours was 2 years ago at Stevenage, they'll soon get a reality check.

Having said that, I'd like to see them survive - as long as we do!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team