PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 CLEAROUT UNDERWAY
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CLEAROUT UNDERWAY  (Read 5805 times)

highwayman

CLEAROUT UNDERWAY
« on: June 14, 2007, 02:41:48 PM »

I see on the Messenger website that Gary Talbot and Andy Scott have been released.

Also from a separate source that Steve Bushell is on his way back to Halifax.

Anybody confirm?

louise1925

Re: CLEAROUT UNDERWAY
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 02:50:57 PM »

Wouldn't surprise me at all. To be honest, it sounds about right. Probably one or two more to follow, which would mean a significant number of players being brought in. Perhaps GH already knows who will be coming. Perhaps he's trying to get enough funds to keep Senior and Chalmers - hope so.

markecky

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 02:57:49 PM »

Andy Scott has never been near a footballer, Gary Talbot is a legend for me but the time has come.

If its true about Bushell then its a bit of a shame as he would have done OK for us but he never set the world on fire for me.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 02:57:54 PM »

Not surprised at all by Gary and AS going.
GT has been a great servant to the club and deserves all our thanks for his service and efforts.

Surprised at Bush supposed to be going. Can't really see it myself but if it IS true, it surely must mean Lewis is staying - centre midfield would be pretty sparce without them both wouldn't it? (Althought Robbie could play more down the centre and this would suit him a lot better IMO)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

teasybeaver

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 02:59:36 PM »

Scott and Talbs had to go, but i'll be gutted if bush goes back to halifax, cant see it to be honest!

What was the source for bush. Just cant see why he'd go back given his reasons for coming to alty.

markecky

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 03:02:17 PM »

Maybe it was a choice of plaing in the Conf national for Alty on £300* or on £500* at Halifax.

My impression of him off the field was that he didn't really seem part of it, I could be wrong though.

* Estimated figures based on no facts

bighairedmike

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 03:07:09 PM »

Can someone please post the link for the messenger website where you have got all this. Ta!

highwayman

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 03:09:42 PM »

Not sure how you "post a link" but here's the article anyway:-

Two leave as clearout begins
By Connor Murphy
Comment
DEFENSIVE duo Gary Talbot and Andy Scott have become the first victims of Alty's summer clearout following their relegation reprieve.

The pair had already committed themselves to a season in the Blue Square North with the Robins.

But when the club was reinstated to the Blue Square Premier at Saturday's Conference AGM, manager Graham Heathcote's plans changed and they have now made way for a host of new arrivals.

advertisement

Darren Tinson has already arrived at Moss Lane and Heathcote has targeted at least five more new faces before the start of the season.

Of the players departing, it is Gary Talbot who will be most sorely missed by Alty fans.

The 36-year-old, known as 'Steakhead' by his teammates, made 281 appearances in more than five years for the club.

Renowned for his prodigious heading ability and no-nonsense style, Talbot became a key figure in the Alty defence, forming a formidable partnership alongside fellow Liverpudlian Mark Maddox.

But his appearances last season were limited by injury and Heathcote decided now was the time for him to move on.

He told SAM Sport: "Gary's not staying with us simply because we're in the National again.

"He's been a fantastic ambassador for this club over the years and a fantastic example of someone who's looked after himself to play football.

"It's a real shame that he's got to go but Gary himself admitted that the pace of the game at this level was probably too much for him now."

Meanwhile, Scott leaves after just five months at Moss Lane.

He was brought in as defensive cover midway through last season and made seven appearances for the club, playing at left back and in centre midfield

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 03:09:50 PM »

* Estimated figures based on no facts

If only everyone was as honest as you Ecky!  :D
Have a Goodwin (and another in 0.4 hours!)

PS: If I knew how "Cult" was doing it, I'd give you a few!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

markecky

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 03:13:04 PM »

Cheers Saughall, I like to think I know a fair few snippets from the club but even knowing a few players personally, actual wages are never revealed. 

I'd guess that Bushell would have been amongst the higher earners given his pedigree.

The messenger website is www.thisistrafford.co.uk by the way

louise1925

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 03:17:41 PM »

How could Halifax have offered Bush decent terms given their present predicament?

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 03:22:16 PM »

Controversial perhaps but i for one don't actually think that it would be the end of the world if Bush did go.

A number of people around the ground last season were disappointed in his performances, to be honest he didn't look even half the player he'd been when we had him on loan.

Depending on whether Lewis stays and who else comes in (or tbh stays) I think that we could easily cover for him not being there with Lewis, Val, Warren Peyton and Robbie Lawton.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 03:22:21 PM »

I've got a sneaky feeling "Highwayman" (significant name?) could be a bit of a troll giving us the news about GT and AS and slipping in the second part.

But, as usual, I could be wide of the mark!

markecky

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 03:30:15 PM »

How could Halifax have offered Bush decent terms given their present predicament?

Since when did clubs start looking at their finances before offering terms?
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 CLEAROUT UNDERWAY